Parrot Forum Header Left  
Go Back   Parrot Forum - Parrot Owner's Community > Species Specific > Amazons

Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
  #11 (permalink)  
Old 12-27-2016, 12:18 PM
Anansi's Avatar
Super Moderator
Parrots:
Maya (Female Solomon Island eclectus parrot), Jolly (Male Solomon Island eclectus parrot), Bixby (Male, red-sided eclectus. RIP), Suzie (Male cockatiel. RIP)
Join Date: Dec 2013
Location: Somerset,NJ
Thanks: 44,955
Thanked 28,303 Times in 9,806 Posts
Anansi will become famous soon enough
Re: Male YNA Biting One Specific Person - Need Help Breaking This Habit!

Sponsored Links
Exactly! If the favored person "rescues" the parrot without making it clear that this is a punishment, then the act will indeed reinforce the behavior. But if the preferred person instead takes the bird directly to timeout without any pleasantries and then completely turns their back, it communicates that the behavior was unacceptable.

Also, if possible, the less favored person should be the one to "rescue" the bird from the timeout. And you should also try to get as much alone time with your bird as you can. Take advantage of any time your husband is not home to work in some one-on-one with him.

Sent from my SM-N900V using Tapatalk
__________________
Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Anansi For This Useful Post:
Flboy (12-27-2016), SailBoat Supporting Member (12-27-2016)
  #12 (permalink)  
Old 12-27-2016, 12:29 PM
Panama's Avatar
Member
Parrots:
36 Year Old Male - Yellow Naped Amazon named Panama
Join Date: Dec 2016
Location: Southeastern United States
Thanks: 43
Thanked 18 Times in 10 Posts
Panama is on a distinguished road
Re: Male YNA Biting One Specific Person - Need Help Breaking This Habit!

Quote: Originally Posted by Anansi View Post
Exactly! If the favored person "rescues" the parrot without making it clear that this is a punishment, then the act will indeed reinforce the behavior. But if the preferred person instead takes the bird directly to timeout without any pleasantries and then completely turns their back, it communicates that the behavior was unacceptable.

Also, if possible, the less favored person should be the one to "rescue" the bird from the timeout. And you should also try to get as much alone time with your bird as you can. Take advantage of any time your husband is not home to work in some one-on-one with him.

Sent from my SM-N900V using Tapatalk
That makes sense that if my husband takes him back to his cage for a timeout and makes sure Panama knows he is in trouble, it should work. I was just thinking along the lines that Panama wants to be by him anyways, so having him pick him up after a bite would not work.

We work opposite schedules three days a week, so I get 12 solid hours three days a week where it is just the bird and me. However, due to the fact he is relentless in biting me, none of this time is spent outside of his cage. I cannot handle him at all without getting bit, so I do not even attempt to get him out of his cage right now.

His cage is in our main room of the house, so he is "with me" for those 12 hours. He is apart of everything I do during the day, and this is the time I will get to pet him through the cage, and read to him.
Reply With Quote
  #13 (permalink)  
Old 01-03-2017, 09:29 AM
Panama's Avatar
Member
Parrots:
36 Year Old Male - Yellow Naped Amazon named Panama
Join Date: Dec 2016
Location: Southeastern United States
Thanks: 43
Thanked 18 Times in 10 Posts
Panama is on a distinguished road
Re: Male YNA Biting One Specific Person - Need Help Breaking This Habit!

It has been almost two weeks of only me giving food and treats to Panama, not quite sure how much of a difference it is making, because he still tries to ambush me when he is out of his cage! LOL. But he has started coming to expect some scratches through the cage every morning when I give him water and food, and normally a treat. We have had a couple times where he comes down off his cage and stays right on the floor in front of it, and him and I play with his new toys he got from Santa, but I still have to stay on my toes, because any chance he gets he is going lunge to bite me! Last night was the first time I was able to scratch his neck and love on him a little when he was out of his cage and he made no attempt to lunge at me! So that is new and exciting!!
Reply With Quote
  #14 (permalink)  
Old 01-03-2017, 09:44 AM
Supporting Member
Parrots:
DYH Amazon
Join Date: Jul 2015
Location: Western, Michigan
Thanks: 4,353
Thanked 4,116 Times in 2,252 Posts
SailBoat is on a distinguished road
Re: Male YNA Biting One Specific Person - Need Help Breaking This Habit!

Quote: Originally Posted by Panama View Post
It has been almost two weeks of only me giving food and treats to Panama, not quite sure how much of a difference it is making, because he still tries to ambush me when he is out of his cage! LOL. But he has started coming to expect some scratches through the cage every morning when I give him water and food, and normally a treat. We have had a couple times where he comes down off his cage and stays right on the floor in front of it, and him and I play with his new toys he got from Santa, but I still have to stay on my toes, because any chance he gets he is going lunge to bite me! Last night was the first time I was able to scratch his neck and love on him a little when he was out of his cage and he made no attempt to lunge at me! So that is new and exciting!!
Very happy to hear that you are having success! Please understand that this process is something that can take years to achieve very little, only to be followed by very rapid changes.

Amazons that come to our home can take years to be where you are today! We normally do not see big changes until they have been with us for nearing three years. Yes, lots of small happy moments and shifts in behavior over the first years, but still slow. Much of that has to do with their being ill and having to provide medication can be a problem regarding also developing a Trust Bond at the same time.

Keep-up the great work! You may never be the Loved One, but you will not be the Bite Towel either!
Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to SailBoat For This Useful Post:
Panama (01-03-2017)
  #15 (permalink)  
Old 01-03-2017, 10:08 AM
Panama's Avatar
Member
Parrots:
36 Year Old Male - Yellow Naped Amazon named Panama
Join Date: Dec 2016
Location: Southeastern United States
Thanks: 43
Thanked 18 Times in 10 Posts
Panama is on a distinguished road
Re: Male YNA Biting One Specific Person - Need Help Breaking This Habit!

Quote: Originally Posted by SailBoat

Very happy to hear that you are having success! Please understand that this process is something that can take years to achieve very little, only to be followed by very rapid changes.

Amazons that come to our home can take years to be where you are today! We normally do not see big changes until they have been with us for nearing three years. Yes, lots of small happy moments and shifts in behavior over the first years, but still slow. Much of that has to do with their being ill and having to provide medication can be a problem regarding also developing a Trust Bond at the same time.

Keep-up the great work! You may never be the Loved One, but you will not be the Bite Towel either!
Thanks! I know it can take a long time, and I try to remind myself of that everyday! We also whistled back and forth this weekend, which probably doesn't seem all that interesting, but Panama will whistle back and forth with my husband all the time, the second I whistle he snickers and stops. He can tell our whistles apart. LOL. So the fact that him and I whistled back and forth for the better part of an hour this weekend is also huge!

I also made my first batch of chop this past week over the holidays, and HE LOVES it! I was so surprised that he actually ate any of it, let alone the fact that he basically devours it when I give it to him. I am trying to get on a much stricter schedule with his feeding and sleep, and hoping that helps some too! Thanks again for all your advise and comments! It is much appreciated!

Last edited by Anansi; 01-03-2017 at 10:46 PM. Reason: Fixed quote box
Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Panama For This Useful Post:
SailBoat Supporting Member (01-03-2017)
  #16 (permalink)  
Old 01-09-2017, 07:35 PM
Panama's Avatar
Member
Parrots:
36 Year Old Male - Yellow Naped Amazon named Panama
Join Date: Dec 2016
Location: Southeastern United States
Thanks: 43
Thanked 18 Times in 10 Posts
Panama is on a distinguished road
Re: Male YNA Biting One Specific Person - Need Help Breaking This Habit!

So I got bit, three times tonight before the chosen one could get across the room and scoop up our little bundle of joy and take him to time out. I normally am on my toes and jump and bob and weave away from his lunges anytime he is out. Tonight I thought I would just let him wander out on his own and approach me if he wanted too. He had been out of his cage and just roaming up and down it for about an hour, I was sitting on the living room floor wrapped in a blanket. He came over and I acknowledged him by saying hi and looking at him, but did not move, did not touch him, and he sat there eyes staring at me for about 30 seconds and then just lunged at me and got my arm. A hard bite too! I didn't jerk away, I told him no, and moved my arm. At this point my husband also told him no. At that point he bit me twice again, very hard. The second time my husband had to distract him and all but pull him off me as he had ahold of me and was not letting go. I understand every time I get bit its my fault, not his... any suggestions on what I did wrong here? Or any advice on how to keep him from just straight up attacking me every time he gets the chance?


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Reply With Quote
  #17 (permalink)  
Old 01-09-2017, 09:30 PM
Supporting Member
Parrots:
DYH Amazon
Join Date: Jul 2015
Location: Western, Michigan
Thanks: 4,353
Thanked 4,116 Times in 2,252 Posts
SailBoat is on a distinguished road
Re: Male YNA Biting One Specific Person - Need Help Breaking This Habit!

Quote: Originally Posted by Panama View Post
So I got bit, three times tonight before the chosen one could get across the room and scoop up our little bundle of joy and take him to time out. I normally am on my toes and jump and bob and weave away from his lunges anytime he is out. Tonight I thought I would just let him wander out on his own and approach me if he wanted too. He had been out of his cage and just roaming up and down it for about an hour, I was sitting on the living room floor wrapped in a blanket. He came over and I acknowledged him by saying hi and looking at him, but did not move, did not touch him, and he sat there eyes staring at me for about 30 seconds and then just lunged at me and got my arm. A hard bite too! I didn't jerk away, I told him no, and moved my arm. At this point my husband also told him no. At that point he bit me twice again, very hard. The second time my husband had to distract him and all but pull him off me as he had ahold of me and was not letting go. I understand every time I get bit its my fault, not his... any suggestions on what I did wrong here? Or any advice on how to keep him from just straight up attacking me every time he gets the chance?


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Yup, you where on the Floor and your Amazon was on the Floor! Remember as part of my first Post in this Thread that I had stated:

"FEET: Some Amazons are well behaved on the Floor and others are NOT! Your Amazons is clearly one of those who are not! This is a very hard behavior to change and should be taken on later after relationships are improved greatly!!! At this point, your Amazon is: NOT ALLOWED ON THE FLOOR!"

So, in place of your poor feet, your poor arm got bit.

At this point, when you are laying on the Floor, your Amazon is not allow on the Floor.
Reply With Quote
  #18 (permalink)  
Old 01-09-2017, 09:34 PM
Panama's Avatar
Member
Parrots:
36 Year Old Male - Yellow Naped Amazon named Panama
Join Date: Dec 2016
Location: Southeastern United States
Thanks: 43
Thanked 18 Times in 10 Posts
Panama is on a distinguished road
Re: Male YNA Biting One Specific Person - Need Help Breaking This Habit!

Quote: Originally Posted by SailBoat View Post
Quote: Originally Posted by Panama View Post
So I got bit, three times tonight before the chosen one could get across the room and scoop up our little bundle of joy and take him to time out. I normally am on my toes and jump and bob and weave away from his lunges anytime he is out. Tonight I thought I would just let him wander out on his own and approach me if he wanted too. He had been out of his cage and just roaming up and down it for about an hour, I was sitting on the living room floor wrapped in a blanket. He came over and I acknowledged him by saying hi and looking at him, but did not move, did not touch him, and he sat there eyes staring at me for about 30 seconds and then just lunged at me and got my arm. A hard bite too! I didn't jerk away, I told him no, and moved my arm. At this point my husband also told him no. At that point he bit me twice again, very hard. The second time my husband had to distract him and all but pull him off me as he had ahold of me and was not letting go. I understand every time I get bit its my fault, not his... any suggestions on what I did wrong here? Or any advice on how to keep him from just straight up attacking me every time he gets the chance?


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Yup, you where on the Floor and your Amazon was on the Floor! Remember as part of my first Post in this Thread that I had stated:

"FEET: Some Amazons are well behaved on the Floor and others are NOT! Your Amazons is clearly one of those who are not! This is a very hard behavior to change and should be taken on later after relationships are improved greatly!!! At this point, your Amazon is: NOT ALLOWED ON THE FLOOR!"

So, in place of your poor feet, your poor arm got bit.

At this point, when you are laying on the Floor, your Amazon is not allow on the Floor.


Should I try to have him on a table? Or on the couch? Otherwise at this time our only option is his cage. We do not have a play stand. He seems very territorial of the cage at times and I don't want to piss him off by trying to approach him on his cage while he is out. In the cage is no problem, I can love on him through the bars and he loves it! What is it with the floor?


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Reply With Quote
  #19 (permalink)  
Old 01-09-2017, 09:52 PM
Supporting Member
Parrots:
DYH Amazon
Join Date: Jul 2015
Location: Western, Michigan
Thanks: 4,353
Thanked 4,116 Times in 2,252 Posts
SailBoat is on a distinguished road
Re: Male YNA Biting One Specific Person - Need Help Breaking This Habit!

Quote: Originally Posted by Panama

Should I try to have him on a table? Or on the couch? Otherwise at this time our only option is his cage. We do not have a play stand. He seems very territorial of the cage at times and I don't want to piss him off by trying to approach him on his cage while he is out. In the cage is no problem, I can love on him through the bars and he loves it! What is it with the floor?


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
People look very different from the Floor. There appears and likely is a total disconnect between our Feet and our Heads. Remember that Parrots connect with our Head and to be more specific, our Face! Also, when you are at the same level as the Amazon, especially an Amazon that already has a behavior issue when on the floor. You are in the Amazon's space.

At present, work with your Amazon in all the places that you listed. Also consider a Bed. Always have a distraction towel available to set between you and your Amazon if he begins to loose control. Think of it as the red distraction tool a Bull Fighter would use. The point is to have it act separate from you, but will come and stand between you and your Amazon when problems occur or been to occur.

FYI: Do Not Use a Red Towel!

Last edited by Anansi; 01-11-2017 at 01:04 AM. Reason: Fixed quote box
Reply With Quote
  #20 (permalink)  
Old 01-09-2017, 09:57 PM
Panama's Avatar
Member
Parrots:
36 Year Old Male - Yellow Naped Amazon named Panama
Join Date: Dec 2016
Location: Southeastern United States
Thanks: 43
Thanked 18 Times in 10 Posts
Panama is on a distinguished road
Re: Male YNA Biting One Specific Person - Need Help Breaking This Habit!

Quote: Originally Posted by SailBoat View Post
Quote: Originally Posted by Panama

Should I try to have him on a table? Or on the couch? Otherwise at this time our only option is his cage. We do not have a play stand. He seems very territorial of the cage at times and I don't want to piss him off by trying to approach him on his cage while he is out. In the cage is no problem, I can love on him through the bars and he loves it! What is it with the floor?


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
People look very different from the Floor. There appears and likely is a total disconnect between our Feet and our Heads. Remember that Parrots connect with our Head and to be more specific, our Face! Also, when you are at the same level as the Amazon, especially an Amazon that already has a behavior issue when on the floor. You are in the Amazon's space.

At present, work with your Amazon in all the places that you listed. Also consider a Bed. Always have a distraction towel available to set between you and your Amazon if he begins to loose control. Think of it as the red distraction tool a Bull Fighter would use. The point is to have it act separate from you, but will come and stand between you and your Amazon when problems occur or been to occur.

FYI: Do Not Use a Red Towel!


I never thought of it from that aspect, that makes a lot of sense thank you. I have used the towel trick before, it does help a lot. If I try to work with him on a table or even the bed, is it better to stand or sit next to the table? I don't want to get to close to his face in fear of damage!! But I also don't want to tower over him and cause him fear..??


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited by Anansi; 01-11-2017 at 01:06 AM. Reason: Fixed quote box
Reply With Quote
Reply

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Parrot Forum - Parrot Owner's Community > Species Specific > Amazons
Remove Ads

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Breaking a bad Habit MTOO58 Cockatoos 1 10-25-2015 11:50 PM
2yo male lunging and biting favorite person Willie68 Eclectus 0 06-28-2015 09:47 AM
Strange Soft Biting Habit ChocolatFondu Macaws 8 06-25-2015 01:51 AM
Kiwi and her biting habit Alisa_Richards Conures 4 05-05-2012 10:14 PM
Conure has new bad biting habit - Help! island_girl Behavioral 7 11-30-2010 03:30 AM




Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Copyright ©2005 - 2009, Parrot Forums.com