Parrot Forum Header Left  
Go Back   Parrot Forum - Parrot Owner's Community > Species Specific > Budgies/Parakeets

Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
  #21 (permalink)  
Old 01-25-2012, 02:33 PM
MikeyTN's Avatar
Supporting Member
Parrots:
"Willie"&"Lola"B&G Macaw, "Dixie"LSC2, and "Nico" Scarlet Macaw.
Join Date: Feb 2011
Location: Antioch, TN
Thanks: 3,156
Thanked 7,285 Times in 4,555 Posts
MikeyTN is on a distinguished road
Re: how hard really is it to tame a rosella

U2 as in Umbrella Cockatoo. I didn't get offended about Lory comment. I know most can't provide what they need nor stand their messiness. But its his personality that mattered to us. I never purchase birds from bird fair and I bought him because he jumped on me and lay his head on my shoulder. I knew I was in trouble when he did that. My partner LOVES that crazy bird, so do I.
__________________

"Lola"
Reply With Quote
  #22 (permalink)  
Old 01-25-2012, 03:25 PM
Member
Join Date: Jan 2012
Thanks: 0
Thanked 1 Time in 1 Post
rosella is on a distinguished road
Re: how hard really is it to tame a rosella

Quote: Originally Posted by MikeyTN View Post
U2 as in Umbrella Cockatoo. I didn't get offended about Lory comment. I know most can't provide what they need nor stand their messiness. But its his personality that mattered to us. I never purchase birds from bird fair and I bought him because he jumped on me and lay his head on my shoulder. I knew I was in trouble when he did that. My partner LOVES that crazy bird, so do I.
oh thats intresting, and i agree that they can be amazing but many owners do not take the proper time to learn what they are getting into prior to adopting one. haha i would fall in love if that happened to me. im looking for a bird that is beautiful and has amazing personality and i know thats difficult to find. i hope to find the right pet by april because if anything else im adopting the rosella. i thought about adopting a cockatiel and a kakariki that way i can get a balance of something unordianry and exotic and something else that is ordinary but makes a loving pet.
Reply With Quote
  #23 (permalink)  
Old 01-25-2012, 03:30 PM
Senior Member
Join Date: Nov 2011
Thanks: 25
Thanked 31 Times in 30 Posts
cockatielfan17 is on a distinguished road
Re: how hard really is it to tame a rosella

i think most stunning pet would be a sun conure but its super loud from what i heard about them
other than thatthey are the best birds ever good personality loves to cuddle and is just an awsome bird and it looks very nice

Last edited by cockatielfan17; 01-25-2012 at 03:36 PM.
Reply With Quote
  #24 (permalink)  
Old 01-25-2012, 05:04 PM
MikeyTN's Avatar
Supporting Member
Parrots:
"Willie"&"Lola"B&G Macaw, "Dixie"LSC2, and "Nico" Scarlet Macaw.
Join Date: Feb 2011
Location: Antioch, TN
Thanks: 3,156
Thanked 7,285 Times in 4,555 Posts
MikeyTN is on a distinguished road
Re: how hard really is it to tame a rosella

Its the constant scream from a conure that gets me....
__________________

"Lola"
Reply With Quote
  #25 (permalink)  
Old 01-25-2012, 05:19 PM
Senior Member
Join Date: Dec 2011
Thanks: 678
Thanked 975 Times in 835 Posts
roxynoodle is on a distinguished road
Re: how hard really is it to tame a rosella

Quote: Originally Posted by MikeyTN View Post
Its the constant scream from a conure that gets me....
Oh, they don't scream constantly. Mine screams to let me know there are "intruders" here mostly. She contact calls, but I taught her to say, "Hey, hey" instead of screech. She lets out a screech here and there to express something or let me know she wants something.

It is the Grey that is the most vocal of my 3. When she gets on a roll it goes on for more than an hour. And some of her sounds are very piercing, like the fire alarm or the ambulance.
Reply With Quote
  #26 (permalink)  
Old 01-25-2012, 05:45 PM
Senior Member
Join Date: Dec 2011
Thanks: 678
Thanked 975 Times in 835 Posts
roxynoodle is on a distinguished road
Re: how hard really is it to tame a rosella

I don't know much about Rosellas, but I guess the question you should ask yourself is, "If I can't tame the bird or keep it tame, will I still want it and take care of it?" If the answer is yes, then get the bird. If the answer is no, I think I'd look at other species. IMO they are all beautiful As far as messy poop on the Lories, well my conure shoots poop through the air. It has gone as far as 2.5 feet and landed in the middle of the couch, lol! I regularly have to scrub down half her cage because it's all over the bars as well. She has the smallest poop of all my birds, but she sure manages to get it all over the place.
Reply With Quote
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to roxynoodle For This Useful Post:
Annageckos (02-25-2013), faeryphoebe1 (02-18-2013), IcyWolf (01-25-2012), lizardsmells (01-26-2012), mnkeastman (01-25-2012)
  #27 (permalink)  
Old 01-25-2012, 06:31 PM
Member
Join Date: Jan 2012
Thanks: 0
Thanked 1 Time in 1 Post
rosella is on a distinguished road
Re: how hard really is it to tame a rosella

thanks for bringing up the idea of conures but i could not every handle a screaming bird who screams constantly. i walked into a well known local bird store the other day and there was a conure.....i believe it was a pineapple sided conure and it scremed the whole half hour i was there and it was the loudest most obnoxious scream i have ever heard, there were over 30 parrots and many larger than him and yet his scream was louder then all of them. roxynoodle i don't know what i would do if i could not tame him or keep him tame. i think i would find him another home and i dont think thats necessarily a bad thing if i made sure he went to a good home where his owners did their research. i feel that i want a rosella bad enough to put the effort and work necassary into turning him into a good pet. in the wild they are flock birds so they require companionship by nature so if i work enough he will bond with me and want to be with me and lol been there and done that with my budgies, i had no idea how they managed to launch their tiny poop feet away.
Reply With Quote
  #28 (permalink)  
Old 01-25-2012, 06:45 PM
Senior Member
Join Date: Dec 2011
Thanks: 678
Thanked 975 Times in 835 Posts
roxynoodle is on a distinguished road
Re: how hard really is it to tame a rosella

Conures are vocal. They make quite a few noises throughout the day, but happy conures don't screech that much really. The one in the pet store may have been bored or trying to get some attention from someone. Or someone did pay attention to it for a bit and then walked away, and it was trying to get him/her back. But, if bird noise is a problem, you don't want a conure.

My amazon is the least vocal, but he is capable of being the loudest. If he gets upset about something he does this very loud alarm sound that I'm quite certain can be heard by the neighbors even though I'm in the country. Thankfully he doesn't do it very much.

Well, I do think you need to think about the Rosella thing as far as how you would deal with it if it won't tame. But, I'm of the mind that when you bring home an animal it is yours unless it must be rehomed due to a death, illness or allergies. That's just my personal opinion though and no one has to agree with me. I won't be offended I understand you are determined, but it does sound like it's a very difficult task. I'm a determined person, too, so I get it.
Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to roxynoodle For This Useful Post:
ann (01-26-2012), IcyWolf (01-25-2012)
  #29 (permalink)  
Old 01-25-2012, 07:00 PM
MikeyTN's Avatar
Supporting Member
Parrots:
"Willie"&"Lola"B&G Macaw, "Dixie"LSC2, and "Nico" Scarlet Macaw.
Join Date: Feb 2011
Location: Antioch, TN
Thanks: 3,156
Thanked 7,285 Times in 4,555 Posts
MikeyTN is on a distinguished road
Re: how hard really is it to tame a rosella

I used to own 2 conures in the past and had a lot of people trying to give me their conures. I always say no. After dealing with them for 3 years, never again!!! I was patient enough doing it for 3 years before moving out and leaving them with my best friend. As he adores them.
__________________

"Lola"
Reply With Quote
  #30 (permalink)  
Old 01-25-2012, 08:46 PM
Member
Join Date: Jan 2012
Thanks: 0
Thanked 1 Time in 1 Post
rosella is on a distinguished road
Re: how hard really is it to tame a rosella

Quote: Originally Posted by roxynoodle View Post
Conures are vocal. They make quite a few noises throughout the day, but happy conures don't screech that much really. The one in the pet store may have been bored or trying to get some attention from someone. Or someone did pay attention to it for a bit and then walked away, and it was trying to get him/her back. But, if bird noise is a problem, you don't want a conure.

My amazon is the least vocal, but he is capable of being the loudest. If he gets upset about something he does this very loud alarm sound that I'm quite certain can be heard by the neighbors even though I'm in the country. Thankfully he doesn't do it very much.

Well, I do think you need to think about the Rosella thing as far as how you would deal with it if it won't tame. But, I'm of the mind that when you bring home an animal it is yours unless it must be rehomed due to a death, illness or allergies. That's just my personal opinion though and no one has to agree with me. I won't be offended I understand you are determined, but it does sound like it's a very difficult task. I'm a determined person, too, so I get it.
yeah i think im going to stay away from any conure....they also live many many years right? i dont think i can handle a 50-60 year commitment. i TOTALLY agree and we are of very like minds that when a pet comes home they are yours.....i hate giving pets away even if i dont like them i still try showing them love and care for them properlly because i feel responsible for them, if i was the type who gets pets for fun, or on an impulse i would not be thinking this through completely....and im glad you get what i mean i am EXTREMELY DETERMINED to make it work, i want to set new standards for rosellas. im the type of guy who tries to make something work even if i know the last 500 failed. right now i have finals and i believe they can raise my grade while everyone says that they always drop your grade...see what i mean

Quote: Originally Posted by MikeyTN View Post
I used to own 2 conures in the past and had a lot of people trying to give me their conures. I always say no. After dealing with them for 3 years, never again!!! I was patient enough doing it for 3 years before moving out and leaving them with my best friend. As he adores them.
looks to me like your experience was a very terrible one......i had that with my moustache parakeet who was absolutely a crazy little monster who alarm called every hour he possibly could and although he was tamed he was still very mean....i gave him and his 1000 dollar cage away for free because i could not stand him for a few more minutes.
Reply With Quote
Reply

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Parrot Forum - Parrot Owner's Community > Species Specific > Budgies/Parakeets


Search tags for this page
are rosellas good pets
,
do rosellas make good pets
,
how to tame a rosella
,
rosella as pets
,

rosella parakeet

,

rosella parrot

,
rosella parrot as pet
,

rosellas as pets

,

rubino rosella

,
rubino rosellas
Click on a term to search for related topics.

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Hard decision JamesC Conures 18 01-13-2012 12:21 AM
How hard is it to tame conures? chika Conures 0 08-13-2011 07:23 PM
Nibbles too hard Melissa Amazons 8 05-07-2011 07:51 AM
Hard to get out of cage. Jeremy Questions and Answers 3 06-11-2008 09:38 PM
This is hard work. Peta Congo & Timneh Greys 4 12-26-2006 11:46 AM



Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2020, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.