Parrot Forum - Parrot Owner's Community

Parrot Forum - Parrot Owner's Community (http://www.parrotforums.com/forums.php)
-   Cockatiels (http://www.parrotforums.com/cockatiels/)
-   -   Bath time.. (http://www.parrotforums.com/cockatiels/62164-bath-time.html)

AmyMyBlueFront 05-29-2016 03:42 PM

Bath time..
 
..BB does NOT groove on water,at all! :o Yesterday was his first attempt. On my arm with a misting bottle the poor guy RAN up my arm to my shoulder :rolleyes: Then I placed him on the counter top and he ran all over the place,hiding behind the can opener,then attempting to get to my shoulder.
Then it was his perch stick,again,flapflapflap to my shoulder.

Just a few minutes ago..I had to shower for work..thought I'd give THAT a try <Amy loves it,she showers with me,on her perch stick,flapping and gabbering away>

As I was getting ready,I put him on the little stool I have with bath towels on it. He twittled a lot,chewed on the little tags on a towel,chewed/tugged on the toilet paper hanging there.
First, I had him on my finger,and just let the shower spray barely touch him,he tried to get on my shoulder but couldn't grasp onto me lol. So I put him on his perch stick and just put him under enough so a very light spray would hit him..he wanted no part of that either.

He did get wet,and he is now on his roof top preening away. I'll try a shallow water bowl next,or putting him on the kitchen sink board with just a trickle < Wally,my 'keet of years back,loved to bathe like that>
Maybe he is still too young to understand how good water can feel :p :54:


jim

OutlawedSpirit 05-29-2016 05:47 PM

Re: Bath time..
 
I can't seem to get bacon to want a bath either. The spray bottle mister is evil. I tried using the sprayer in the sink, since I think the shower might be to harsh for him, even though the pretty chicken loves it. He sat in the sink and wouldn't move while I spayed him but he was not impressed. I have tried a shallow dish, and he'll sit in it, but he won't bathe. I will still mist him cause it's good for him, but he doesn't enjoy it.

Sent from my SM-G920P using Tapatalk

GaleriaGila 05-29-2016 07:56 PM

Re: Bath time..
 
Wellllllllllllllll... I'll try to contribhute.
The Rickeybird has never enjoyed any kind of overhead water - shower, spray, pouring. He only enjoys bathing in a shallow bowl or sink. I have a huge wok that I fill halfway with warm water, and he loves it. No idea if it's species-specific or just his preference.
So, yeah... maybe try different ways of offering the bath.
Good luck!

Aquila 05-29-2016 10:29 PM

Re: Bath time..
 
I actually started by putting Willow on the shower curtain rod, and she ended up climbing/flying down into the shower with me before. I put her up there to get some light steam and mist and she seems to enjoy that, but she does enjoy a good bath too!

And I wrap her up in a washcloth when I'm done.
http://i.imgur.com/rDiRMe6.jpg

texsize 05-30-2016 08:47 AM

Re: Bath time..
 
I have 5 cockatiels and with the possible exception of 1 they all like to get wet one way or another.
The thing is it's only when THEY want it. I can mist them anytime but if they don't feel like a bath they will try to get away.
If they like the idea the will do the Tiel "rain dance".
2 of my Tiels like to splash in a shallow bowl but if they don't feel like it the ignore the water.
texsize

GaleriaGila 05-30-2016 01:12 PM

Re: Bath time..
 
I'll also add that the Rickeybird enjoys being blow-dried. I started it in out West when he was young, because I was concerned about his getting a chill. I put him, soaking wet, on my shoulder, hold the blow-dryer (set on low, warm) at arm's length, so he can get as close as he wants... usually about midway. He leans into it, fluffs his feathers, closes his eyes, and just seems to be in heaven. His species is from a very windy, arid land, so I don't worry about his skin or feathers getting dried out. Now that we're up on the North Coast, I'm glad to have taught him. I'd tell you how we started doing that, but I can't recall! Hey, it was a long time ago! :) Not sure it would be good with/for other parrots...

plumsmum2005 05-31-2016 04:38 AM

Re: Bath time..
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by Aquila (Post 573858)
I actually started by putting Willow on the shower curtain rod, and she ended up climbing/flying down into the shower with me before. I put her up there to get some light steam and mist and she seems to enjoy that, but she does enjoy a good bath too!

And I wrap her up in a washcloth when I'm done.
http://i.imgur.com/rDiRMe6.jpg

Ah so sweet, Aquila. :)

plumsmum2005 05-31-2016 04:41 AM

Re: Bath time..
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by GaleriaGila (Post 573921)
I'll also add that the Rickeybird enjoys being blow-dried. I started it in out West when he was young, because I was concerned about his getting a chill. I put him, soaking wet, on my shoulder, hold the blow-dryer (set on low, warm) at arm's length, so he can get as close as he wants... usually about midway. He leans into it, fluffs his feathers, closes his eyes, and just seems to be in heaven. His species is from a very windy, arid land, so I don't worry about his skin or feathers getting dried out. Now that we're up on the North Coast, I'm glad to have taught him. I'd tell you how we started doing that, but I can't recall! Hey, it was a long time ago! :) Not sure it would be good with/for other parrots...

Can I ask if your dryer is teflon coated? Worth checking :)

plumsmum2005 05-31-2016 05:08 AM

Re: Bath time..
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by AmyMyBlueFront (Post 573796)
..BB does NOT groove on water,at all! :o Yesterday was his first attempt. On my arm with a misting bottle the poor guy RAN up my arm to my shoulder :rolleyes: Then I placed him on the counter top and he ran all over the place,hiding behind the can opener,then attempting to get to my shoulder.
Then it was his perch stick,again,flapflapflap to my shoulder.

Just a few minutes ago..I had to shower for work..thought I'd give THAT a try <Amy loves it,she showers with me,on her perch stick,flapping and gabbering away>

As I was getting ready,I put him on the little stool I have with bath towels on it. He twittled a lot,chewed on the little tags on a towel,chewed/tugged on the toilet paper hanging there.
First, I had him on my finger,and just let the shower spray barely touch him,he tried to get on my shoulder but couldn't grasp onto me lol. So I put him on his perch stick and just put him under enough so a very light spray would hit him..he wanted no part of that either.

He did get wet,and he is now on his roof top preening away. I'll try a shallow water bowl next,or putting him on the kitchen sink board with just a trickle < Wally,my 'keet of years back,loved to bathe like that>
Maybe he is still too young to understand how good water can feel :p :54:


jim

Hi :) Perhaps in time if Baby Bird watches Amy having some fun with bathing he may want to join in. Amy is a great role model to show the joys of having fun with water.

GaleriaGila 05-31-2016 12:17 PM

Re: Bath time..
 
PlumsMom, what a great question. I will go check. The doggone thing is about 15 years old. If it does have Teflon, I'll switch it out for a new one. Can't be too careful! Many thanks!


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 01:32 PM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2021, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.