Parrot Forum Header Left  
Go Back   Parrot Forum - Parrot Owner's Community > Species Specific > Cockatiels

Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
  #11 (permalink)  
Old 11-10-2020, 08:26 PM
Member
Parrots:
Caesar the tiel (foster)
Join Date: Sep 2020
Location: Santa Cruz, CA
Thanks: 34
Thanked 133 Times in 52 Posts
KitKatPlus is on a distinguished road
Re: Need advice on my new tiel...

Quote: Originally Posted by ParrotGenie View Post
Make sure she a avian certified veterinarian. She looking at treating individual issues and not looking at the multiple issues and the whole picture.
Maybe you didn´t read all of what I´ve written since you´ve missed a few things. She is most certainly avian certified and works closely with our rescue. She called me not 30 minutes after we dropped him off to let me know his weight decreased and she would figure out the problem and call me later, so her conclusion wasn´t ¨you haven´t fed him¨, it was only a quick call so she could ask what he´s being fed. Thank you for your concern and I will definitely update everyone when I find out more
Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to KitKatPlus For This Useful Post:
Laurasea Supporting Member (11-11-2020)
  #12 (permalink)  
Old 11-10-2020, 10:04 PM
ParrotGenie's Avatar
Supporting Member
Parrots:
2 umbrella Cockatoos One male named Cooper and female named Baby 1 Little Corella male named Frankie and have 5 Cockatiels three named Male named Pepper, Fiesco for the female and female named Wylie.
Join Date: Jan 2019
Location: Indiana
Thanks: 335
Thanked 2,136 Times in 788 Posts
ParrotGenie is on a distinguished road
Re: Need advice on my new tiel...

Quote: Originally Posted by KitKatPlus View Post
Quote: Originally Posted by ParrotGenie View Post
Make sure she a avian certified veterinarian. She looking at treating individual issues and not looking at the multiple issues and the whole picture.
Maybe you didn´t read all of what I´ve written since you´ve missed a few things. She is most certainly avian certified and works closely with our rescue. She called me not 30 minutes after we dropped him off to let me know his weight decreased and she would figure out the problem and call me later, so her conclusion wasn´t ¨you haven´t fed him¨, it was only a quick call so she could ask what he´s being fed. Thank you for your concern and I will definitely update everyone when I find out more
I not telling to to assume it ABV, only going by the symptoms over time you stated. No symptoms don’t typically happen at once and can be for example bird not flying correctly and getting better and then runs into stuff and GI tract issues, or all at once and dropping weight is one of the common symptoms as well. I do recommend to have your bird tested for it. Dealt with birds with this disease many times that tested positive and your has the symptoms of it to much to be coincidence. Never stated she isn’t a good veterinarian, she likely a excellent veterinarian, she might not have dealt with birds that have ABV as most won’t spend the money on lab tests required as can be costly, or don’t come in with it.

Honestly hope I actually wrong and it is a infection as ABV not good. At least talk to your veterinarian about ABV and have her test for it. Quarantine bird from others for now as is very contagious. A guy a few months ago made the mistake and didn’t listen and his whole flock ended up catching it and finally he took them to vet and tested positive for ABV.
__________________
"Many people come in and say, 'I want a bird that talks, is quiet, and doesn't bite.' And I say to them, 'I'm sorry, but that species has not been discovered yet.'"
Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to ParrotGenie For This Useful Post:
fiddlejen Supporting Member (11-10-2020), Laurasea Supporting Member (11-11-2020)
  #13 (permalink)  
Old 11-10-2020, 10:51 PM
Member
Parrots:
Caesar the tiel (foster)
Join Date: Sep 2020
Location: Santa Cruz, CA
Thanks: 34
Thanked 133 Times in 52 Posts
KitKatPlus is on a distinguished road
Re: Need advice on my new tiel...

Quote: Originally Posted by ParrotGenie View Post
I not telling to to assume it ABV, only going by the symptoms over time you stated. No symptoms don’t typically happen at once and can be for example bird not flying correctly and getting better and then runs into stuff and GI tract issues, or all at once and dropping weight is one of the common symptoms as well. I do recommend to have your bird tested for it. Dealt with birds with this disease many times that tested positive and your has the symptoms of it to much to be coincidence. Never stated she isn’t a good veterinarian, she likely a excellent veterinarian, she might not have dealt with birds that have ABV as most won’t spend the money on lab tests required as can be costly, or don’t come in with it.

Honestly hope I actually wrong and it is a infection as ABV not good. At least talk to your veterinarian about ABV and have her test for it. Quarantine bird from others for now as is very contagious. A guy a few months ago made the mistake and didn’t listen and his whole flock ended up catching it and finally he took them to vet and tested positive for ABV.
He is visually impaired (we know that to be true), so that is why he runs into things. He cannot fly well because he hasn´t been out of his cage for 20 years and the cage was much much too small. As he has gotten more used to the house he has stopped running into things and is getting more mobile The nice thing is since he is a foster bird, neither the vet nor I needs to worry about expenses since it is paid by donation! I will ask her tomorrow about ABV. I do not have any other birds at the moment so no worry of contagion!
Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to KitKatPlus For This Useful Post:
fiddlejen Supporting Member (11-10-2020), Laurasea Supporting Member (11-11-2020)
  #14 (permalink)  
Old 11-11-2020, 03:47 AM
Littleredbeak's Avatar
Senior Member
Join Date: May 2020
Thanks: 424
Thanked 491 Times in 156 Posts
Littleredbeak is on a distinguished road
Re: Need advice on my new tiel...

Keeping your birdy in my prayers! I hope she feels better soon!
Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Littleredbeak For This Useful Post:
AmyMyBlueFront Supporting Member (11-11-2020), KitKatPlus (11-12-2020), Laurasea Supporting Member (11-11-2020)
  #15 (permalink)  
Old 11-23-2020, 04:03 PM
Member
Parrots:
Caesar the tiel (foster)
Join Date: Sep 2020
Location: Santa Cruz, CA
Thanks: 34
Thanked 133 Times in 52 Posts
KitKatPlus is on a distinguished road
Re: Need advice on my new tiel...

Hi there, thought I would give a little update on Caesar. So since my last post, Caesar has been away for 2 weeks now. Communication has been absolutely horrendous between the vet, me, and our rescue. The vet didn't update me once, and told me they would tell my coordinator. I ask my coordinator, they haven't heard anything. They say they will call in the morning, they never do.

Finally I got fed up with it so I called the vet myself and said I needed to hear an update, and they told me he was going to one of my coordinators houses on Saturday (this past Saturday) to see how he does outside of a vet setting. He had only gained back 6 grams of the 20 he had originally lost (which tells me that it probably was an underlying condition and not all my doing. They said he was eating constantly, like I said he was at my house!) I wasn't informed he was going to someone else, but okay. I was told I would get an update Friday from my coordinator but never did, so I'm assuming he's at her house, but I honestly have no idea.

I miss him very much and I'm hoping I'll eventually be able to get him back he is so precious and it was amazing seeing how happy he was to be out of the cage for the first time in 20 years.. I know he's just been sitting in a little incubator again, which is hard for me to think about. Anyways, that's about all the update I have. Thanks for everyone's support
Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to KitKatPlus For This Useful Post:
AmyMyBlueFront Supporting Member (12-07-2020), Laurasea Supporting Member (11-25-2020), Littleredbeak (12-06-2020)
  #16 (permalink)  
Old 11-25-2020, 10:12 PM
jju1's Avatar
Junior Member
Parrots:
Cockatiels (and bird rescue volunteer!)
Join Date: Jan 2017
Location: Atlanta
Thanks: 3
Thanked 9 Times in 6 Posts
jju1 is on a distinguished road
Re: Need advice on my new tiel...

That's odd, but I'm glad it doesn't sound like you're discouraged from fostering because its so helpful/important!

I'm not sure what kind of rescue this is, and I'm not implying they are doing anything wrong, but if bird rescues are like dog rescues then you have some that are run by a person or group that are loosy goosy about things, or maybe run by one person who is not easy to get along, some have foster coordinators and are very organized (I know it sounds like you have a foster coordinator whos not communicating well). I guess I'm just thinking about why there are struggles between them and you.

Glad for the updates - keep doing good
Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to jju1 For This Useful Post:
AmyMyBlueFront Supporting Member (12-07-2020), KitKatPlus (12-06-2020)
  #17 (permalink)  
Old 11-25-2020, 10:21 PM
Laurasea's Avatar
Supporting Member
Parrots:
Neptune blue quaker (MIA), Ta-dah GCC female, Penny quaker female, Pikachu quaker unknown, Orbit quaker unknown, 3 parakeets males, Burt The Burd GCC RIP
Join Date: Aug 2018
Location: USA
Thanks: 23,659
Thanked 21,070 Times in 6,866 Posts
Laurasea is on a distinguished road
Re: Need advice on my new tiel...

you open your heart and your home, they should keep you updated, i would be frustrated too. You are a special person, and tge world needs more like you
__________________
"When you want to help people, you tell them the truth. When you want to help yourself, you tell them what they want to hear. "Thomas Sowell
Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Laurasea For This Useful Post:
AmyMyBlueFront Supporting Member (12-07-2020), KitKatPlus (12-06-2020), Littleredbeak (12-07-2020)
  #18 (permalink)  
Old 12-06-2020, 08:37 PM
Member
Parrots:
Caesar the tiel (foster)
Join Date: Sep 2020
Location: Santa Cruz, CA
Thanks: 34
Thanked 133 Times in 52 Posts
KitKatPlus is on a distinguished road
Re: Need advice on my new tiel...

Caesar still hasn´t gone to my coordinators house.. she is putting it off which is really annoying. Hoping it happens this Saturday. We´re hoping to get him back by Christmas so he can join in the holiday celebrations
Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to KitKatPlus For This Useful Post:
AmyMyBlueFront Supporting Member (12-07-2020)
  #19 (permalink)  
Old 12-06-2020, 10:19 PM
Member
Parrots:
Caesar the tiel (foster)
Join Date: Sep 2020
Location: Santa Cruz, CA
Thanks: 34
Thanked 133 Times in 52 Posts
KitKatPlus is on a distinguished road
Re: Need advice on my new tiel...

Quote: Originally Posted by jju1 View Post
I'm not sure what kind of rescue this is, and I'm not implying they are doing anything wrong, but if bird rescues are like dog rescues then you have some that are run by a person or group that are loosy goosy about things, or maybe run by one person who is not easy to get along, some have foster coordinators and are very organized (I know it sounds like you have a foster coordinator whos not communicating well). I guess I'm just thinking about why there are struggles between them and you.
Before this I had fostered african greys, a caique, and an indian ringneck, and I had never had an issue like this before. I think its just an unfortunate coincidence that all our cockatiel coordinators are kind of like this. My work at the rescue right now is working on volunteer recruitment, so hopefully we will get some newer, more enthusiastic people in there to help out
Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to KitKatPlus For This Useful Post:
AmyMyBlueFront Supporting Member (12-07-2020)
Reply

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Parrot Forum - Parrot Owner's Community > Species Specific > Cockatiels

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
when can I pet my tiel kiwi_and_emma Cockatiels 5 06-01-2020 08:30 PM
Budgie or Tiel buddy for my lady tiel??? Eclectica Cockatiels 2 12-20-2015 09:37 AM
If you own a tiel, does your tiel sing to your GCC? Tropical Conures 3 10-21-2015 03:03 AM
Tiel won't get off! SarahKate Cockatiels 4 01-10-2015 09:11 PM
advice and opinions for friends tiel DallyTsuka General Health Care 7 09-07-2014 10:00 AM



Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2021, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.