Parrot Forum Header Left  
Go Back   Parrot Forum - Parrot Owner's Community > Species Specific > Cockatiels

Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
  #1 (permalink)  
Old 02-20-2021, 11:36 AM
necrosacorporis's Avatar
Junior Member
Parrots:
Pied cockatiel
Join Date: Feb 2021
Location: Czech republic
Thanks: 7
Thanked 11 Times in 6 Posts
necrosacorporis is on a distinguished road
Cage defensive cockatiel

Hey everyone, I'm kind of struggling with my bird as he's kinda aggressive when in his cage. He won't let me change his water and food without hissing and threatening to bite, and touching him/trying to make him step up when inside his cage is a big no no, he won't let me do that but bite me instead (it's not a painful bite tho, more like if he was trying to say "don't do it"). I find it kinda strange as his behavior is literally the oposite of this when he's outside - he lets me pet him, give him head scritches, and just loves it when he can sit on my shoulder. I mean, he's very social and playful outside his cage, but incredibly defensive when inside. So my question is: what's the reason behing this kind of behavior? Could it be just because he's young (5 months old)?
Scritch video
Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to necrosacorporis For This Useful Post:
Laurasea Supporting Member (02-20-2021), Scott  (02-20-2021), worriedcockatielowner (02-28-2021)
  #2 (permalink)  
Old 02-20-2021, 12:39 PM
Supporting Member
Parrots:
Galah. Axel Rescued budgie Anna RIP
Join Date: Jan 2021
Location: Las Vegas Nv.
Thanks: 72
Thanked 255 Times in 83 Posts
Tman is on a distinguished road
Re: Cage defensive cockatiel

First off well your in the right place.
Now if he's that way out of the cage it's something in his cage post a picture of his cage make sure you get everything in the picture. And we will be able to help.
Also tell me about him. How long have you had him
Were did he come from has he always be a lone.
Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Tman For This Useful Post:
necrosacorporis (02-20-2021), Scott  (02-20-2021)
  #3 (permalink)  
Old 02-20-2021, 01:37 PM
Scott's Avatar
Super Moderator
Parrots:
Goffins: Gabby, Abby, Squeaky, Peanut, Popcorn / Citron: Alice / Eclectus: Angel /Timneh Grey: ET / Blue Fronted Amazon: Gonzo / RIP Gandalf and Big Bird, you are missed.
Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: San Diego, California USA, Earth, Milky Way Galaxy
Thanks: 117,389
Thanked 60,510 Times in 19,932 Posts
Scott will become famous soon enough
Re: Cage defensive cockatiel

Welcome, the lovely video proves he's not deeply fearful of you. Cage aggression not uncommon with birds in new home. He's young, but how long in your care? To help show cage is not the only security, try feeding him a beloved treat once out as reward. If you have a separate stand or playpen, give him food there as well. The goal is not to feed exclusively outside the cage, but to show he can feel safe anywhere in your home.

Plenty of other techniques, you're in fine hands with Tman!
__________________
Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Scott For This Useful Post:
Laurasea Supporting Member (02-20-2021), necrosacorporis (02-20-2021)
  #4 (permalink)  
Old 02-20-2021, 01:53 PM
necrosacorporis's Avatar
Junior Member
Parrots:
Pied cockatiel
Join Date: Feb 2021
Location: Czech republic
Thanks: 7
Thanked 11 Times in 6 Posts
necrosacorporis is on a distinguished road
Re: Cage defensive cockatiel

Quote: Originally Posted by Tman View Post
First off well your in the right place.
Now if he's that way out of the cage it's something in his cage post a picture of his cage make sure you get everything in the picture. And we will be able to help.
Also tell me about him. How long have you had him
Were did he come from has he always be a lone.
I guess the cage is big enough for a single bird, anyway I understand that something wider would be way better for him, however he spends most of the time outside his cage and flies inside only to eat, drink or when it's time to sleep. I usually feed him a mixture of seeds for cockatiels and medium sized birds, some greens or fruit, also my mom told me eggs are beneficial to parrots so I boiled one and gave it to him. I always change his water and refill his food daily, change the newspaper 3 or 4 times a week (or whenever it needs to be changed) and wash the entire cage once a week. Also no, he doesn't stay on the ground, I only had to take the cage down so I was able to take a photo under a better lightning (camera flash would scare him).
There are 3 perches for him to sit on and also that swing-thing which he uses rather rarely. That pink thing behind him is a small mirror he doesn't seem to care about, so I ordered some nice toys on Amazon to keep him busy while I'm not home, now I'm waiting for them to be delivered.
I've had him for 3 months or so and got him in pet store, he was scared and shaking as he was all alone in there, so I couldn't leave him in such stressful enviroment and adopted him. He's currently an "only bird", however I try to spend as much time as I can with him, and thanks to covid and zoom classes, I'm able to stay with him and play most of the day.
I'm trying to give him the best care I can, could I be doing something wrong though?


Last edited by necrosacorporis; 02-20-2021 at 01:55 PM.
Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to necrosacorporis For This Useful Post:
Laurasea Supporting Member (02-20-2021), Scott  (02-22-2021)
  #5 (permalink)  
Old 02-20-2021, 02:02 PM
necrosacorporis's Avatar
Junior Member
Parrots:
Pied cockatiel
Join Date: Feb 2021
Location: Czech republic
Thanks: 7
Thanked 11 Times in 6 Posts
necrosacorporis is on a distinguished road
Re: Cage defensive cockatiel

Quote: Originally Posted by Scott View Post
Welcome, the lovely video proves he's not deeply fearful of you. Cage aggression not uncommon with birds in new home. He's young, but how long in your care? To help show cage is not the only security, try feeding him a beloved treat once out as reward. If you have a separate stand or playpen, give him food there as well. The goal is not to feed exclusively outside the cage, but to show he can feel safe anywhere in your home.

Plenty of other techniques, you're in fine hands with Tman!
He loves millet spray and spinach leaves, I use these as treat when he steps up or when he's simply being cute
Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to necrosacorporis For This Useful Post:
Laurasea Supporting Member (02-20-2021), Scott  (02-22-2021)
  #6 (permalink)  
Old 02-20-2021, 02:51 PM
Supporting Member
Parrots:
Galah. Axel Rescued budgie Anna RIP
Join Date: Jan 2021
Location: Las Vegas Nv.
Thanks: 72
Thanked 255 Times in 83 Posts
Tman is on a distinguished road
Re: Cage defensive cockatiel

First off listen to me very carefully. You are not doing anything wrong. Just get that out of your head.
I am going to help you make things better. If you parrot being alone that's fine. I asked because if he had a freind that might of been the reason for him being moddy. So we know it's not that. The one thing is not so much fruit.
More veggies. Now something else for.right now we won't worry about the size of cage. We are going to work with what we have. Your parrot is going to be fine in that cage. We are just going to fix up the cage. We will get to working with him in a minute. First we need to fix up his cage a little.
First thing take your buddy out put on top of the cage or some place he can watch. The love watching what we do. Now pull out all the perches. Take out the mirror. We won't be putting the mirror back in.
Take one of the perches put it at the very top of the cage where your parrot can just fit on the perch without touch the top, also move the perch.to the left or right side as close as you can just to give your parrot enough room to sit.
What this will down is make him feel comfortable. He will probably use this as his sleep perch.
Now the next perch you want to put it on the opposite side of the cage and down about 6 inches lower than the top perch. The last perch your going to want to put it on the opposite side of the cage for the second perch. You want to put it right at the bottom of the cage door at the end corner.
Now I going to put a few pictures so you can see what I'm talking about.
Attached Thumbnails
Cage defensive cockatiel-20210216_122705.jpg   Cage defensive cockatiel-20210216_122840_001.jpg   Cage defensive cockatiel-20210216_122754.jpg  
Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Tman For This Useful Post:
Laurasea Supporting Member (02-20-2021), necrosacorporis (02-20-2021)
  #7 (permalink)  
Old 02-20-2021, 02:53 PM
Supporting Member
Parrots:
Galah. Axel Rescued budgie Anna RIP
Join Date: Jan 2021
Location: Las Vegas Nv.
Thanks: 72
Thanked 255 Times in 83 Posts
Tman is on a distinguished road
Re: Cage defensive cockatiel

Don't worry Iam not leaving you.
I have something to take care of I will be back.
Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Tman For This Useful Post:
Laurasea Supporting Member (02-20-2021), necrosacorporis (02-20-2021)
  #8 (permalink)  
Old 02-20-2021, 03:33 PM
Laurasea's Avatar
Supporting Member
Parrots:
Neptune blue quaker (MIA), Ta-dah GCC female, Penny quaker female, Pikachu quaker unknown, Orbit quaker unknown, 3 parakeets males, Burt The Burd GCC RIP
Join Date: Aug 2018
Location: USA
Thanks: 25,282
Thanked 22,960 Times in 7,409 Posts
Laurasea is on a distinguished road
Re: Cage defensive cockatiel

Welcome to the forum, beautiful cockatiel!!!
I have Quakers, they defend the cage, but are great outside of the cage. I have a perch right next to the door but attached on the outside of the cage. That way they can step out on to that, then I can move them while I clean tge cafe and give food..

I'm sure Tman will give you lots of great advice. There is always room for improvement. I've had parrots fir 20 year's, and still trying to find ways to improve their lives, their activities, their diet, their cage, ect.

Such a beautiful cockatiel!! So glad you will be giving him the best life you can.

I share this link to a great article often. Lots of great info here. And not just for a stressed parrot, for any parrot.
https://lafeber.com/pet-birds/stress...ot-companions/

This one is also really nice. Describe normal behaviors, and problems behaviors like bites.n
https://lafeber.com/pet-birds/bird-behavior/
__________________
" A Smooth Sea,
Never Made A Skillfull Sailor "
Franklin B. Roosevelt
[

Last edited by Laurasea; 02-20-2021 at 03:38 PM.
Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Laurasea For This Useful Post:
necrosacorporis (02-20-2021)
  #9 (permalink)  
Old 02-20-2021, 03:39 PM
necrosacorporis's Avatar
Junior Member
Parrots:
Pied cockatiel
Join Date: Feb 2021
Location: Czech republic
Thanks: 7
Thanked 11 Times in 6 Posts
necrosacorporis is on a distinguished road
Re: Cage defensive cockatiel

Quote: Originally Posted by Tman View Post
First off listen to me very carefully. You are not doing anything wrong. Just get that out of your head.
I am going to help you make things better. If you parrot being alone that's fine. I asked because if he had a freind that might of been the reason for him being moddy. So we know it's not that. The one thing is not so much fruit.
More veggies. Now something else for.right now we won't worry about the size of cage. We are going to work with what we have. Your parrot is going to be fine in that cage. We are just going to fix up the cage. We will get to working with him in a minute. First we need to fix up his cage a little.
First thing take your buddy out put on top of the cage or some place he can watch. The love watching what we do. Now pull out all the perches. Take out the mirror. We won't be putting the mirror back in.
Take one of the perches put it at the very top of the cage where your parrot can just fit on the perch without touch the top, also move the perch.to the left or right side as close as you can just to give your parrot enough room to sit.
What this will down is make him feel comfortable. He will probably use this as his sleep perch.
Now the next perch you want to put it on the opposite side of the cage and down about 6 inches lower than the top perch. The last perch your going to want to put it on the opposite side of the cage for the second perch. You want to put it right at the bottom of the cage door at the end corner.
Now I going to put a few pictures so you can see what I'm talking about.
Thank you, I'll try that tomorrow as it's really late rn and disturbing him would be kinda insensitive
I hope that he'll get comfortable with me being in his "territory" sooner or later y:
Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to necrosacorporis For This Useful Post:
Laurasea Supporting Member (02-20-2021), Tman Supporting Member (02-20-2021)
  #10 (permalink)  
Old 02-20-2021, 03:43 PM
necrosacorporis's Avatar
Junior Member
Parrots:
Pied cockatiel
Join Date: Feb 2021
Location: Czech republic
Thanks: 7
Thanked 11 Times in 6 Posts
necrosacorporis is on a distinguished road
Re: Cage defensive cockatiel

Quote: Originally Posted by Laurasea View Post
Welcome to the forum, beautiful cockatiel!!!
I have Quakers, they defend the cage, but are great outside of the cage. I have a perch right next to the door but attached on the outside of the cage. That way they can step out on to that, then I can move them while I clean tge cafe and give food..

I'm sure Tman will give you lots of great advice. There is always room for improvement. I've had parrots fir 20 year's, and still trying to find ways to improve their lives, their activities, their diet, their cage, ect.

Such a beautiful cockatiel!! So glad you will be giving him the best life you can.

I share this link to a great article often. Lots of great info here. And not just for a stressed parrot, for any parrot.
https://lafeber.com/pet-birds/stress...ot-companions/

This one is also really nice. Describe normal behaviors, and problems behaviors like bites.n
https://lafeber.com/pet-birds/bird-behavior/
Aww thank you a lot, I'm gonna hop on Amazon real quick and order a perch for outside of the cage
Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to necrosacorporis For This Useful Post:
Laurasea Supporting Member (02-20-2021)
Reply

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Parrot Forum - Parrot Owner's Community > Species Specific > Cockatiels

Tags
cockatiel, defensive, question

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Questions/Thoughts on Territory and Defensive Behavior BAMM17 Conures 8 04-16-2019 12:04 PM
Defensive/Aggressive but the backs up onto back? Sunnyclover Questions and Answers 9 04-04-2018 09:36 AM
Very unusual behavior in my cockatiel, acts very defensive? flightless Cockatiels 3 03-25-2016 11:26 AM
Defensive of Cage Diesel_Hyland Alexandrines 5 06-29-2013 12:04 PM
Cockatiel Cage and Accessories? What all do I need for my Cockatiel? Yellow_Tang04 Cockatiels 36 03-01-2013 11:20 PM



Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2021, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.