Parrot Forum Header Left  
Go Back   Parrot Forum - Parrot Owner's Community > Species Specific > Conures

Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
  #1 (permalink)  
Old 09-11-2013, 12:18 AM
Ash's Avatar
Ash Ash is offline
Senior Member
Join Date: Nov 2011
Location: Hamilton, New Zealand
Thanks: 62
Thanked 235 Times in 178 Posts
Ash is on a distinguished road
Question How can I teach him to..

How can I train my wee Crumbs to Turn around?

Ive looked at many videos but Crumbs wont turn and follow my finger/treats. He turns his head and just watches. He knows target training and his target is my finger. Well I don't know what to do. XD

He doesn't really like to move. Just sit there and watch.

On another note this morning he learned how to "Go through the tunnel
".
So far he knows, Touch, Step up, Go through the tunnel, Wave, Roll over(Kind of), Bow, Lay on his back (In my hand), Go upside down.

So any advice on teaching him to turn around?
Thanks
Reply With Quote
  #2 (permalink)  
Old 09-11-2013, 12:42 AM
ShellyBorg's Avatar
Senior Member
Parrots:
TAG Spirit,RLA Danny,Senegal Damon, Parrotlet Opal, B&G Paris
Join Date: Apr 2013
Location: Redding, CA
Thanks: 920
Thanked 523 Times in 347 Posts
ShellyBorg is on a distinguished road
Re: How can I teach him to..

LOL There are some tricks that seem to be the line in the sand for some parrots. This may be his. Give it a try from time to time, but if there is no interest just move to the next one before you unset each other.
__________________
“She was not quite what you would call refined. She was not quite what you would call unrefined. She was the kind of person that keeps a parrot.” ― Mark Twain
Reply With Quote
  #3 (permalink)  
Old 09-11-2013, 02:45 AM
SoCalWendy's Avatar
Senior Member
Parrots:
None at the moment
Join Date: Jun 2013
Location: Kihei, Hawaii
Thanks: 517
Thanked 835 Times in 586 Posts
SoCalWendy is on a distinguished road
Re: How can I teach him to..

I taught Rio to turn around by holding her treat in my fingers, tell her what i want to do. I then show her by using the treat just slightly above her head, I circle completely around until I am in front of her and I give her the treat. She follows the treat while she does the action. Now I don't even have to do that I just tell her and she does it, and then gets a seed. It takes some practice but they catch on really fast. If she gets stuck, I say turn, turn, turn as she is turning.
Reply With Quote
  #4 (permalink)  
Old 09-11-2013, 03:22 AM
Ash's Avatar
Ash Ash is offline
Senior Member
Join Date: Nov 2011
Location: Hamilton, New Zealand
Thanks: 62
Thanked 235 Times in 178 Posts
Ash is on a distinguished road
Re: How can I teach him to..

Quote: Originally Posted by SoCalWendy View Post
I taught Rio to turn around by holding her treat in my fingers, tell her what i want to do. I then show her by using the treat just slightly above her head, I circle completely around until I am in front of her and I give her the treat. She follows the treat while she does the action. Now I don't even have to do that I just tell her and she does it, and then gets a seed. It takes some practice but they catch on really fast. If she gets stuck, I say turn, turn, turn as she is turning.
Thanks for telling me how you got your Rio to turn around : )
I guess I will keep trying and hoping that he will start to understand what I am trying to get him to do. XD
Reply With Quote
  #5 (permalink)  
Old 09-11-2013, 03:23 AM
Ash's Avatar
Ash Ash is offline
Senior Member
Join Date: Nov 2011
Location: Hamilton, New Zealand
Thanks: 62
Thanked 235 Times in 178 Posts
Ash is on a distinguished road
Re: How can I teach him to..

Quote: Originally Posted by ShellyBorg View Post
LOL There are some tricks that seem to be the line in the sand for some parrots. This may be his. Give it a try from time to time, but if there is no interest just move to the next one before you unset each other.
It just might be one of those tricks. I am going to keep trying, I don't think he understands what im trying to get him to do. I know he is very clever so I am sure one day he will click xD
Reply With Quote
  #6 (permalink)  
Old 09-11-2013, 07:19 PM
MonicaMc's Avatar
Senior Member
Parrots:
Mitred Conure - Charlie 1994; Cockatiel - Casey 2001; Wild Caught ARN - Sylphie 2013
Join Date: Sep 2012
Thanks: 2,867
Thanked 4,823 Times in 3,052 Posts
MonicaMc is on a distinguished road
Re: How can I teach him to..

Rather than asking for a full turn, try to ask for a partial turn and reward. If you can reward him for turning even slightly, you can then later work on longer turns???

Otherwise, look for a new trick to teach and come back to it later!
__________________
The Earth is not flat and the Sun does not revolve around the Earth. Don't be afraid to question what you learn. In doing so, you may discover a greater truth. ~Mc
Reply With Quote
  #7 (permalink)  
Old 09-11-2013, 07:23 PM
Ash's Avatar
Ash Ash is offline
Senior Member
Join Date: Nov 2011
Location: Hamilton, New Zealand
Thanks: 62
Thanked 235 Times in 178 Posts
Ash is on a distinguished road
Re: How can I teach him to..

Quote: Originally Posted by MonicaMc View Post
Rather than asking for a full turn, try to ask for a partial turn and reward. If you can reward him for turning even slightly, you can then later work on longer turns???

Otherwise, look for a new trick to teach and come back to it later!
He did two full turns yesterday
But now he just moves his head.
I think I will try another trick for now
Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Ash For This Useful Post:
MonicaMc (09-11-2013)
Reply

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Parrot Forum - Parrot Owner's Community > Species Specific > Conures

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Do I need to teach them how to fly? Gizmomania Conures 8 07-13-2013 05:49 PM
how to teach my sun conure teach ?? kyki Conures 3 11-28-2012 09:06 AM
How can I teach him??? tlouiselle Eclectus 7 10-10-2011 08:49 AM
Be Careful what you teach them !!!!!! antoinette Congo & Timneh Greys 28 07-24-2010 03:00 PM
How do you teach them to be outside and not fly away ? Robyn Eclectus 17 02-13-2010 05:45 PM



Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2020, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.