Parrot Forum Header Left  
Go Back   Parrot Forum - Parrot Owner's Community > Species Specific > Conures

Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
  #1 (permalink)  
Old 04-29-2019, 10:28 AM
Eccle17's Avatar
Junior Member
Parrots:
Green cheeked conure
Join Date: Apr 2019
Location: Sand bay , Somerset, England
Thanks: 7
Thanked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Eccle17 is on a distinguished road
Ant!

An ant came in my house and my bird ate it! Does anyone know if this is ok?
After all they do eat insects I guess 😣
Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Eccle17 For This Useful Post:
Scott  (04-29-2019)
  #2 (permalink)  
Old 04-29-2019, 10:36 AM
Senior Member
Parrots:
Umbrella Cockatoo- 11 years old
Join Date: Jul 2018
Thanks: 3,512
Thanked 6,033 Times in 2,456 Posts
noodles123 will become famous soon enough
Re: Ant!

It will be fine, but try not to let him do it frequently just because you don't want your bird ingesting a bunch of ant killer etc (if someone has poison out etc). One ant is not the end of the world (even if it did ingest something sketchy)...Multiple ants could be problematic if they have been poisoned.

Last edited by noodles123; 04-29-2019 at 10:44 AM.
Reply With Quote
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to noodles123 For This Useful Post:
ChocolateChipCookiez (04-29-2019), Eccle17 (04-29-2019), EllenD (05-01-2019), Inger (05-01-2019), Scott  (04-29-2019)
  #3 (permalink)  
Old 04-29-2019, 11:33 AM
dhraiden's Avatar
Senior Member
Parrots:
Green Cheek Conure (Mochi) Gold Capped Conure (Mango)
Join Date: Jul 2015
Location: Queens NY
Thanks: 742
Thanked 731 Times in 335 Posts
dhraiden is on a distinguished road
Re: Ant!

One ant is fine; don't let it become a habit
Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to dhraiden For This Useful Post:
Eccle17 (04-29-2019), Scott  (04-29-2019)
  #4 (permalink)  
Old 04-29-2019, 12:02 PM
Eccle17's Avatar
Junior Member
Parrots:
Green cheeked conure
Join Date: Apr 2019
Location: Sand bay , Somerset, England
Thanks: 7
Thanked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Eccle17 is on a distinguished road
Re: Ant!

Thank you so much I have been worried. Being a new bird mum , I’m really grateful for the advice ��
Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Eccle17 For This Useful Post:
Scott  (04-29-2019)
  #5 (permalink)  
Old 04-29-2019, 12:21 PM
Scott's Avatar
Super Moderator
Parrots:
Goffins: Gabby, Abby, Squeaky, Peanut, Popcorn / Citron: Alice / Eclectus: Angel /Timneh Grey: ET / Blue Fronted Amazon: Gonzo / RIP Gandalf and Big Bird, you are missed.
Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: San Diego, California USA, Earth, Milky Way Galaxy
Thanks: 78,991
Thanked 40,004 Times in 14,145 Posts
Scott is on a distinguished road
Re: Ant!

Welcome, thanks for posting the question! This is one way we build a data base of archival information for benefit to all!
__________________
Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Scott For This Useful Post:
Eccle17 (04-30-2019), Inger (05-01-2019)
  #6 (permalink)  
Old 05-01-2019, 10:00 AM
EllenD's Avatar
Senior Member
Parrots:
Senegal Parrot named "Kane"; Yellow-Sided Green Cheek Conure named "Bowie"; Blue Quaker Parrot named "Lita Ford"; Cockatiel named "Duff"; 8 American/English Budgie Hybrids; Ringneck Dove named "Dylan"
Join Date: Aug 2016
Location: State College, PA
Thanks: 6,495
Thanked 7,549 Times in 3,078 Posts
EllenD will become famous soon enough
Re: Ant!

Yeah, as Noodles said above, birds/parrots eat all kinds of insects in the wild, and as long as they aren't poisonous insects or ones that can bite them (like a Red Ant could, but not a black Carpenter Ant or a little brown Grease Ant), then it's fine...However, the problem with ANY OF YOUR PETS eating insects, rodents (Shrews, Voles, Mice, Rats, etc.), or any other living things from outside, OR eating any plants, vegetables, greens, fruit, etc. from outside is the extremely high-risk of poisoning from either Insect-Traps/Ant-Traps/Insecticide Sprays and Powders, etc. that the insect/rodent could eat or walk through, AND all of the many different Fertilizers and Chemical Sprays and Treatments that people put on their lawns and gardens, or that they pay to have put on once every month (like Chemlawn does)....

***We have to remember that just because we don't put any chemicals, fertilizers, insecticides, pesticides, etc. on our own lawns/yards, that does not at all mean that people who live around us/near us don't use them, and use them on a regular-basis, and that these spray and powdered chemicals, fertilizers, insecticides, pesticides, etc. can travel through the air for MILES AND MILES, can be spread through the Ground-Water every time it rains, and that insects, spiders, rodents and other animals/mammals, as well as wild-birds often walk through them, ingest/eat them, etc., and then bring them onto our properties!!! So just because you and/or any of your close/surrounding neighbors don't use any of these poisons, that doesn't mean that they aren't ALL OVER YOUR PROPERTY; they regularly are all over your grass, plants, trees, vegetable/herb gardens, fruit plants/trees, in your soil/ground-water, all over rocks, mulch, etc. on your property, and all over the outside of your house/apartment buildings! Millions and millions of microscopic droplets and grains/molecules of all kinds of chemicals are spread miles and miles away from where they originate and end-up on OUR BACKYARDS!!!

***So the bottom-line is that we just cannot allow ANY OF OUR PETS, whether they are Birds/Parrots, Dogs, Cats (YET ANOTHER REASON TO NOT ALLOW YOUR CATS TO BE "OUTDOOR CATS" WHO RUN ALL DAY LONG, EVERY DAY), Rodents (Guinea Pigs, Rats, etc.), Ferrets, Chinchillas, Rabbits, Reptiles, Amphibians, etc., to eat ANYTHING from outside like insects, plants, vegetables, fruit, grass, hay, etc. UNTIL WE BRING IT INSIDE AND WASH IT THOROUGHLY, EVEN IF IT COMES FROM OUR PROPERTY, INCLUDING OUR GARDENS!!! You wouldn't let your human children eat unwashed vegetables, greens, fruit, or anything else if it comes from outside, so why would you let your pets?

***FYI, I know the situation with OP's bird who ate the ant was a total accident and that obviously the OP is a very responsible bird owner since they immediately came here to ask the question because they were very worried about their bird's well-being...I didn't write the above for the OP's benefit or to scold the OP, but rather to point-out to EVERYONE that simply because you don't use any chemicals on your property doesn't mean that your property isn't covered in chemicals that are spreading through the air, the ground-water and run-off water, and through insects, rodents, wild birds, and other living creatures who carry it on them or in their bodies...[B]It's Spring now in a lot of areas around the world, and this is the time that we get our lawns, gardens, and our properties in-general back into-shape from the winter...And this means that all of the "Lawn and Garden Chemical-Companies" have started spraying very nasty, lethal chemicals all over the place (again, Chemlawn being the big one in the US, but there are thousands of much smaller, privately-owned companies that do the same thing all over the country), as well as the time that farmers (non-Organic farmers) start doing the same. And this means that our outside-air is basically SATURATED with all kinds of nasty stuff that is lethal to our Pets, ALL of our Pets, from dogs to Birds to Primates, and we have to make sure that we protect them.
__________________
"Dance Like Nobody's Watching".
Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to EllenD For This Useful Post:
ChocolateChipCookiez (05-01-2019), Eccle17 (05-02-2019)
  #7 (permalink)  
Old 05-01-2019, 06:08 PM
Skittys_Daddy's Avatar
Senior Member
Parrots:
Neotropical Pigeon - "Skittles" (born 3/29/10) Cockatiel - "Peaches" (1995-2015) R.I.P. Budgie - "Sammy" (1989-2000) R.I.P. Budgie - "Sandy" (1987-1989) R.I.P.
Join Date: Jan 2014
Location: Lewiston, Maine
Thanks: 837
Thanked 1,974 Times in 998 Posts
Skittys_Daddy is on a distinguished road
Re: Ant!

Hope this ant an ongoing problem for you. It'd sure bug me and would certainly cause Skittles to flea, actually it would more likely be a 'sounding of the alarm'- "intruder, intruder".

Okay, now that the 'attempt' at sarcasm has been done- I agree with what Ellen said. Not because its right, but because she was the most helpful in helping me with my 'comforter' issue with Skittles- so I agree merely out of obligation.

Oops, that was supposed to be the 'serious' part, yet I yielded to sarcasm. Let me try this again. I think you've gotten some great advice. I think that at some point or other, our fids (and even human kids) will likely be exposed to something that is not good, but not lethal in itself when it happens once by accident. For example, Skittles once 'snuck' a sip of my coffee and I panicked thinking he'd have a heart attack. I then took steps to prevent it from happening again.
You're doing good by seeking advice and its a good sign of responsible parronting.
__________________


I have no sense of humor because my humor makes no sense.
Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Skittys_Daddy For This Useful Post:
Eccle17 (05-02-2019)
Reply

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Parrot Forum - Parrot Owner's Community > Species Specific > Conures

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On




Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2019, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.