Parrot Forum Header Left  
Go Back   Parrot Forum - Parrot Owner's Community > Community > Do It Yourself

Do It Yourself Creating toys, etc. yourself

Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
  #11 (permalink)  
Old 01-09-2021, 01:08 PM
Banned
Join Date: May 2017
Thanks: 1
Thanked 16 Times in 8 Posts
hucker is on a distinguished road
Re: Cat flap for parrots?

Quote: Originally Posted by noodles123 View Post
Yeah, I do tell people to wash hands before eating, as there is a global pandemic.
I meant before that, which I also think is overrated. More damage is being done from the restrictions than the actual virus. If I was the government I'd just make recommendations to everyone, not shut down half the businesses so everyone goes bankrupt. Here in the UK we just ignore the rules anyway, everyone goes to visit people, and I just bought two parrots from a petshop that wasn't allowed to sell them to me, and I didn't wear a mask either. 80% of people are immune and get no symptoms, 19% get bed-ridden for 2 weeks, and only 1% die. I ain't changing my life for 1%.

Quote: Originally Posted by noodles123 View Post
Growing up, I drank out of garden hoses
Same here.

Quote: Originally Posted by noodles123 View Post
and swam in lakes,
I still do, don't tell me you avoid that!? I even drink from them while swimming, saves carrying drinks with me. I did get a stomach upset from drinking a river I was swimming in, but that was so murky you couldn't see more than a foot through the water. Lots of fields, probably insecticides that disagreed with me.

Quote: Originally Posted by noodles123 View Post
ate vegetables without rinsing them..
I still do. A shop shouldn't be selling me vegetables with toxins on them! Don't you have regulations over there on food products?

Quote: Originally Posted by noodles123 View Post
I eat expired food
I go by the smell and what it looks like. I've seen dairy things go off a few days before the use by date, and some a month after. Canned stuff a year after.

Quote: Originally Posted by noodles123 View Post
and often drink well-water...I've also jumped off cliffs and worked extensively with people with leprosy-- (LOL- those 2 things don't go hand -in-hand, but they popped into my head). I am not as cautious as you think. Each to his own-- I am just saying, parrots are more fragile than humans and many die in the wild before maturity- which leads to survival of the fittest...You don't get that natural selection in captivity.
I think you do get selection in captivity. Unless everyone is over cautious! Hey one of mine ate chocolate and salted crisps for several years until someone told me they're alledgedly deadly. Funny how he's perfectly healthy.

Quote: Originally Posted by noodles123 View Post
You would probably be surprised at all that has gone wrong over the years with various parrots on this forum and at my vet's office.
I find cats are worse. They catch fleas. And nothing kills fleas, they become immune to a new chemical as soon as it's invented. And contrary to popular belief, cats are not clean. They never wash, not properly in a bath (and most don't let you!), fleas are not removed by licking!
Reply With Quote
  #12 (permalink)  
Old 01-09-2021, 01:32 PM
Senior Member
Parrots:
Umbrella Cockatoo- 13 years old
Join Date: Jul 2018
Thanks: 7,384
Thanked 14,547 Times in 5,824 Posts
noodles123 will become famous soon enough
Re: Cat flap for parrots?

Quote: Originally Posted by hucker View Post
Quote: Originally Posted by noodles123 View Post
Yeah, I do tell people to wash hands before eating, as there is a global pandemic.
I meant before that, which I also think is overrated. More damage is being done from the restrictions than the actual virus. If I was the government I'd just make recommendations to everyone, not shut down half the businesses so everyone goes bankrupt. Here in the UK we just ignore the rules anyway, everyone goes to visit people, and I just bought two parrots from a petshop that wasn't allowed to sell them to me, and I didn't wear a mask either. 80% of people are immune and get no symptoms, 19% get bed-ridden for 2 weeks, and only 1% die. I ain't changing my life for 1%.

Quote: Originally Posted by noodles123 View Post
Growing up, I drank out of garden hoses
Same here.

I still do, don't tell me you avoid that!? I even drink from them while swimming, saves carrying drinks with me. I did get a stomach upset from drinking a river I was swimming in, but that was so murky you couldn't see more than a foot through the water. Lots of fields, probably insecticides that disagreed with me.

I still do. A shop shouldn't be selling me vegetables with toxins on them! Don't you have regulations over there on food products?

I go by the smell and what it looks like. I've seen dairy things go off a few days before the use by date, and some a month after. Canned stuff a year after.

Quote: Originally Posted by noodles123 View Post
and often drink well-water...I've also jumped off cliffs and worked extensively with people with leprosy-- (LOL- those 2 things don't go hand -in-hand, but they popped into my head). I am not as cautious as you think. Each to his own-- I am just saying, parrots are more fragile than humans and many die in the wild before maturity- which leads to survival of the fittest...You don't get that natural selection in captivity.
I think you do get selection in captivity. Unless everyone is over cautious! Hey one of mine ate chocolate and salted crisps for several years until someone told me they're alledgedly deadly. Funny how he's perfectly healthy.

Quote: Originally Posted by noodles123 View Post
You would probably be surprised at all that has gone wrong over the years with various parrots on this forum and at my vet's office.
I find cats are worse. They catch fleas. And nothing kills fleas, they become immune to a new chemical as soon as it's invented. And contrary to popular belief, cats are not clean. They never wash, not properly in a bath (and most don't let you!), fleas are not removed by licking!

I STILL do most of those things (minus the smelly mud-spa..hard to find the time... haha) --- yes, but I always wash hands before eating---I do this as soon as I walk in, because I get spit in my mouth and eyes on a near-daily basis (because a kid who turns to cough away from people, will always cough on the teacher lol!). SURE, kids shove everything into their mouths, but if we are talking older kids, of course I ask them to wash before eating (especially in the current climate)- If you spent the time I have spent teaching kids, you'd know to wash your hands....I have seen things that would make your blood run cold-- I kid you not. Unmentionable body parts on drinking fountain spouts...tongues dragged across the entire frozen food aisle...so many hands in pants and everywhere else..and hepatitis etc-- that's real too!



I know that non-teachers don't get exposed at the level that I do, but I just hope you are grateful for the teachers on the front lines of nastiness who ask kids to wash their hands periodically....


I get sick maybe 1x a year (including colds). I kid you not when I say that a kid with hepatitis, literally look a chewed caramel out of her mouth and put it in mine to be nice....At the same time, I have a healthy co-worker who now has a collapsed lung... young...from illness..


So yeah...I wash hands these days...it's the least I can do. People have gotten very very sick from kids when they do not do these things, and if teachers in special settings didn't insist upon some hygiene, then there would be lots more sick people and lots fewer teachers.


People have died (pre-covid) from the stuff I am describing-- people who were healthy....So just try not to get too confident, when I lived in India, even kids who grew up drinking nasty water literally died from it at times....the same water I also have consumed. It can be really serious.


I'm on a different rant now LOL but I just want you to understand that parrots in homes=unnatural and they do not have the same built-in immunity (due to stress/lack of exposure to native bacteria etc)...And then, on top of that, parrots, but also people can die from stuff if you miscalculate..Just because you expose yourself on purpose, does not mean that you will survive when stuff gets serious. I literally watched co-workers pass out in Kolkata and run fevers in the 106 region (from boiling and drinking tap water as tea). You would think that would be enough, but it isn't necessarily.



It's also not just about the individual, it's about who the individual could spread things to....So, yeah, a kid could get something and fight it off, but that doesn't mean they aren't spreading it to others---- same with parrots and other parrots. I fully disagree with your beliefs about COVID and restrictions, but that is off-topic more than I already am, so I'll leave that alone.


Your parrots may SEEM fine, but they can make others sick, but they can also spread illness in droppings, feather dust etc. It's important to be more cautious-- the things you said about zinc are quite concerning, but each to his own.

Last edited by noodles123; 01-09-2021 at 01:48 PM.
Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to noodles123 For This Useful Post:
SailBoat Supporting Member (01-09-2021)
  #13 (permalink)  
Old 01-09-2021, 01:49 PM
Banned
Join Date: May 2017
Thanks: 1
Thanked 16 Times in 8 Posts
hucker is on a distinguished road
Re: Cat flap for parrots?

Quote: Originally Posted by noodles123 View Post
I STILL do most of those things (minus the smelly mud-spa..hard to find the time... haha) --- yes, but I always wash hands before eating---I do this as soon as I walk in, because I get spit in my mouth and eyes on a near-daily basis (because a kid who turns to cough away from people, will always cough on the teacher lol!). SURE, kids shove everything into their mouths, but if we are talking older kids, of course I ask them to wash before eating (especially in the current climate)- If you spent the time I have spent teaching kids, you'd know to wash your hands....I have seen things that would make your blood run cold-- I kid you not. Unmentionable body parts on drinking fountain spouts...tongues dragged across the entire frozen food aisle...so many hands in pants and everywhere else..and hepatitis etc-- that's real too!
I used to be an IT tech in a school, and our kids didn't behave that badly! It wasn't a particularly well off area either, plenty of council housing. They called me sir! Actually I think they were ruder to the teachers. I'm a very easy going and friendly person and never got anyone into trouble. I was walking along with the deputy head one day and two boys said a bunch of swearwords, then noticed us both. I yelled "mind your f---ing language!" (without the ---) and the deputy was speechless.

Quote: Originally Posted by noodles123 View Post
I know that non-teachers don't get exposed at the level that I do, but I just hope you are grateful for the teachers on the front lines of nastiness who ask kids to wash their hands periodically....
Actually if I had kids I'd home school them. School is too full of pointless lessons.

Quote: Originally Posted by noodles123 View Post
I get sick maybe 1x a year (including colds).
Same here, but I attribute it to being healthy. I swim outdoors in winter. It works for the Scandinavians and Russians, not sure why. Boosts your immune system somehow.

Quote: Originally Posted by noodles123 View Post
I kid you not when I say that a kid with hepatitis, literally look a chewed caramel out of her mouth and put it in mine to be nice....At the same time, I have a healthy co-worker who now has a collapsed lung... young...from illness..
Ugh! I would never have done that as a kid without a disease!

Quote: Originally Posted by noodles123 View Post
People have died (pre-covid) from the stuff I am describing-- people who were healthy....So just try not to get too confident, when I lived in India, even kids who grew up drinking nasty water literally died from it at times....the same water I also have consumed. It can be really serious.
Yeah well I'm not in contact with all the stuff you are!

Quote: Originally Posted by noodles123 View Post
I'm on a different rant now LOL but I just want you to understand that parrots in homes=unnatural and they do not have the same built-in immunity (due to stress/lack of exposure to native bacteria etc)...And then, on top of that, parrots, but also people can die from stuff if you miscalculate..
Generally they live a lot longer in captivity. So we're doing something right.

Quote: Originally Posted by noodles123 View Post
Your parrots may SEEM fine, but they can make others sick, but they can also spread illness in droppings, feather dust etc. It's important to be more cautious-- the things you said about zinc are quite concerning, but each to his own.
What concerns you about me and zinc? My vet says the amount in their blood is almost zero, so nothing to worry about. He told me the level they call dangerous, and mine were a tiny fraction of that.
Reply With Quote
  #14 (permalink)  
Old 01-09-2021, 02:07 PM
Senior Member
Parrots:
Umbrella Cockatoo- 13 years old
Join Date: Jul 2018
Thanks: 7,384
Thanked 14,547 Times in 5,824 Posts
noodles123 will become famous soon enough
Re: Cat flap for parrots?

Quote: Originally Posted by hucker View Post
Quote: Originally Posted by noodles123 View Post
I STILL do most of those things (minus the smelly mud-spa..hard to find the time... haha) --- yes, but I always wash hands before eating---I do this as soon as I walk in, because I get spit in my mouth and eyes on a near-daily basis (because a kid who turns to cough away from people, will always cough on the teacher lol!). SURE, kids shove everything into their mouths, but if we are talking older kids, of course I ask them to wash before eating (especially in the current climate)- If you spent the time I have spent teaching kids, you'd know to wash your hands....I have seen things that would make your blood run cold-- I kid you not. Unmentionable body parts on drinking fountain spouts...tongues dragged across the entire frozen food aisle...so many hands in pants and everywhere else..and hepatitis etc-- that's real too!
I used to be an IT tech in a school, and our kids didn't behave that badly! It wasn't a particularly well off area either, plenty of council housing. They called me sir! Actually I think they were ruder to the teachers. I'm a very easy going and friendly person and never got anyone into trouble. I was walking along with the deputy head one day and two boys said a bunch of swearwords, then noticed us both. I yelled "mind your f---ing language!" (without the ---) and the deputy was speechless.

Quote: Originally Posted by noodles123 View Post
I know that non-teachers don't get exposed at the level that I do, but I just hope you are grateful for the teachers on the front lines of nastiness who ask kids to wash their hands periodically....
Actually if I had kids I'd home school them. School is too full of pointless lessons.

Same here, but I attribute it to being healthy. I swim outdoors in winter. It works for the Scandinavians and Russians, not sure why. Boosts your immune system somehow.

Ugh! I would never have done that as a kid without a disease!

Yeah well I'm not in contact with all the stuff you are!

Quote: Originally Posted by noodles123 View Post
I'm on a different rant now LOL but I just want you to understand that parrots in homes=unnatural and they do not have the same built-in immunity (due to stress/lack of exposure to native bacteria etc)...And then, on top of that, parrots, but also people can die from stuff if you miscalculate..
Generally they live a lot longer in captivity. So we're doing something right.

Quote: Originally Posted by noodles123 View Post
Your parrots may SEEM fine, but they can make others sick, but they can also spread illness in droppings, feather dust etc. It's important to be more cautious-- the things you said about zinc are quite concerning, but each to his own.
What concerns you about me and zinc? My vet says the amount in their blood is almost zero, so nothing to worry about. He told me the level they call dangerous, and mine were a tiny fraction of that.
I'm not telling you you can't take some risks- but parrots are sensitive-- very..And I love mine so much, that I would feel very guilty if things when wrong...I am very cautious already, but we have already had a few dangerous situations (despite precautions).


Lol-- funny you mention outdoor swimming because about 1 hour before I replied to this post, I had been Googling swimming temperatures and shock. The coldest I have gone without a wet suit was 50 f in Galway Bay with a 58 degree f air temp and that felt super cold!


I guess I'd just say that COVID started with one person (probably far from where you are) and spread like crazy. Hand-washing is not bad--- you can still be a healthy person and wash hands without ruining natural immunity/exposure.



For parrots, so many die in captivity due to human causes or diagnosed illness, so yeah, while the wild may be harsher, the same could be said of humans---there are people in very poor areas living to be 30 -50 years and that's fine(?), but not their potential...it could be much better


The thing is, humans often kill parrots by mistake, as our environments are so contrary to theirs...Heck, we have gram negative bacteria in our saliva, we live in houses full of chemicals and they have access to all of this toxic stuff that they wouldn't in the wild.


Zinc poisoning is also a real threat to captive parrots, given their level of potential exposure in captivity.

Last edited by noodles123; 01-10-2021 at 11:23 AM.
Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to noodles123 For This Useful Post:
Laurasea Supporting Member (01-10-2021), SailBoat Supporting Member (01-09-2021)
  #15 (permalink)  
Old 01-09-2021, 05:46 PM
Ira7's Avatar
Senior Member
Parrots:
YNA
Join Date: Feb 2020
Location: Coral Springs, FL
Thanks: 141
Thanked 715 Times in 351 Posts
Ira7 is on a distinguished road
Re: Cat flap for parrots?

Many, many species can handle very cold temps. It’s the drafts that make them sick.

Now Michigan...that’s a different story.
Reply With Quote
  #16 (permalink)  
Old 01-09-2021, 06:07 PM
SailBoat's Avatar
Supporting Member
Parrots:
DYH Amazon
Join Date: Jul 2015
Location: Western, Michigan
Thanks: 54,299
Thanked 32,695 Times in 11,033 Posts
SailBoat will become famous soon enough
Re: Cat flap for parrots?

Hmmm, seen this kind of gaming before...

Parrots are a very fragile creatures, take great care not to forget that singular point as you continue your journey.
__________________


In each Morning's early light; there is a promise, an Amazon makes!

Last edited by SailBoat; 01-09-2021 at 06:40 PM.
Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to SailBoat For This Useful Post:
Laurasea Supporting Member (01-10-2021)
  #17 (permalink)  
Old 01-09-2021, 06:44 PM
fiddlejen's Avatar
Supporting Member
Parrots:
Sunny the Sun Conure (hatch Sept '18, Gotcha Mar '19). Mr. Jefferson Bossypants Budgie & Miss Calliope Albino Budgie (both hatched Nov '18 & gotcha'd late Jan of '19).
Join Date: Mar 2019
Location: New England
Thanks: 2,203
Thanked 1,884 Times in 673 Posts
fiddlejen will become famous soon enough
Re: Cat flap for parrots?

Quote: Originally Posted by hucker View Post
I'm looking for a way for my birds to have a heated indoor area, and an outside area, which they can go between by themselves, but without the expense of all the heat going through an open hole. A cat flap is the perfect solution for cats, but what do we use for birds? Would they use a catflap? Is there anything they would prefer?
I get the impression from your other posts that you already have the outside aviary, where your birds live mostly. And also your birds currently need human intervention to come inside, but you'd like them to be able to enter freely. Is that right?

Seems to me that a pet-flap -TYPE- installation probably is indeed best idea.

BAsically you want to install a window-frame large enough for your bird(s) to pass thru, made of a bird-safe wood. Then instead of a glass window you want to fill that frame with some type of bird-Safe but bird-Manipulable material which they can open to pass thru, and which will self-close behind them. Right?

I think it sounds like a great plan. If you find a pet-flap of the right size, and can verify the materials with the mfg, that's probably the easiest way to go. But otherwise if you are handy, or if you know & can afford reliable contractors, seems like it should work fine.
__________________
_
_



They are not really pets. They are small People with wings and Opinions. They pay no rent, expect you to come when they call, & like to destroy stuff.
Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to fiddlejen For This Useful Post:
SailBoat Supporting Member (01-10-2021)
  #18 (permalink)  
Old 01-10-2021, 11:24 AM
Senior Member
Parrots:
Umbrella Cockatoo- 13 years old
Join Date: Jul 2018
Thanks: 7,384
Thanked 14,547 Times in 5,824 Posts
noodles123 will become famous soon enough
Re: Cat flap for parrots?

How would you keep other animals from getting in as well? Would the flap be elevated or would if require them to walk on the ground? Would there still be a safe/comfortable area for them outside in the event that the door didn't work or something?

Last edited by noodles123; 01-10-2021 at 11:27 AM.
Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to noodles123 For This Useful Post:
SailBoat Supporting Member (01-10-2021)
  #19 (permalink)  
Old 01-10-2021, 12:26 PM
Banned
Join Date: May 2017
Thanks: 1
Thanked 16 Times in 8 Posts
hucker is on a distinguished road
Re: Cat flap for parrots?

Quote: Originally Posted by noodles123 View Post
I'm not telling you you can't take some risks- but parrots are sensitive-- very..And I love mine so much, that I would feel very guilty if things when wrong...I am very cautious already, but we have already had a few dangerous situations (despite precautions).
It doesn't matter what you're careful with, there's always something you forget. I've even rewired my microwave to remove the earth (earths are extremely dangerous as they provide a completed circuit, in a parrot's case through the feet with the beak on the live) as one kept chewing the cable.

Quote: Originally Posted by noodles123 View Post
Lol-- funny you mention outdoor swimming because about 1 hour before I replied to this post, I had been Googling swimming temperatures and shock.
Shock indeed. So what if you scream like a girl, it won't kill you. I don't by the way, I just take in a gasp of air and enjoy it.

Quote: Originally Posted by noodles123 View Post
The coldest I have gone without a wet suit was 50 f in Galway Bay with a 58 degree f air temp and that felt super cold!
Wow, you think 10C is cold?! That's halfway to room temperature! Not even cold enough to make your teeth chatter.

I never wear a wet or dry suit. I call them wimpsuits.

Quote: Originally Posted by noodles123 View Post
I guess I'd just say that COVID started with one person (probably far from where you are) and spread like crazy. Hand-washing is not bad--- you can still be a healthy person and wash hands without ruining natural immunity/exposure.
Washing your hands all the time means your immune system never gets any exercise. It's actually very bad.

Quote: Originally Posted by noodles123 View Post
For parrots, so many die in captivity due to human causes or diagnosed illness, so yeah, while the wild may be harsher, the same could be said of humans---there are people in very poor areas living to be 30 -50 years and that's fine(?), but not their potential...it could be much better
You can't win them all. But if we advance science enough we should all live forever. While life has a finite time, I don't see the point in taking that much care over protecting it.

Quote: Originally Posted by noodles123 View Post
The thing is, humans often kill parrots by mistake, as our environments are so contrary to theirs...Heck, we have gram negative bacteria in our saliva, we live in houses full of chemicals and they have access to all of this toxic stuff that they wouldn't in the wild.
Yeah well I don't let them get into cupboards full of bleach! But we do share food which people say is bad for them. I've never had a problem with that.

Quote: Originally Posted by noodles123 View Post
Zinc poisoning is also a real threat to captive parrots, given their level of potential exposure in captivity.
I'm assuming from badly made things. You can zinc plate or you can galvanise. The plating comes off by rubbing. Mine have nothing like the toxic levels according to the vet, despite being in a galvanised aviary all the time.
Reply With Quote
  #20 (permalink)  
Old 01-10-2021, 12:27 PM
Banned
Join Date: May 2017
Thanks: 1
Thanked 16 Times in 8 Posts
hucker is on a distinguished road
Re: Cat flap for parrots?

Quote: Originally Posted by Ira7 View Post
Many, many species can handle very cold temps. Itís the drafts that make them sick.

Now Michigan...thatís a different story.
I assume you're referring to wind chill.
Reply With Quote
Reply

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Parrot Forum - Parrot Owner's Community > Community > Do It Yourself

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Flap flap vid.. AmyMyBlueFront Amazons 2 12-17-2018 10:25 PM
Training to flap on cue? hnb Macaws 4 09-28-2017 10:58 AM
For Betrisher: The sory of Flap-Flap-Bonk the chook RodOutback Off Topic 0 11-28-2014 06:27 PM
Why does my bird fly and flap in cage while the cover is on? HusseinBerjaoui Questions and Answers 2 06-30-2013 09:26 AM
chicken flap bounce dance plax Macaws 33 01-23-2013 07:50 PM



Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2021, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.