Parrot Forum Header Left  
Go Back   Parrot Forum - Parrot Owner's Community > Community > General Health Care

General Health Care Remember to use common sense and consult with an avian veterinarian.

Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
  #1 (permalink)  
Old 05-19-2019, 12:49 PM
charmedbyekkie's Avatar
Senior Member
Parrots:
Cairo the Ekkie!
Join Date: May 2018
Location: US/SG
Thanks: 1,369
Thanked 2,183 Times in 682 Posts
charmedbyekkie is on a distinguished road
Question Taking Care of Mold? (bleach/alcohol/F10/ozone/UV-C)

Our house started leaking whenever it rained (contractors have since seemingly fixed the problem), but it soaked the wooden TV stand even though we tried to elevate it out of the way. We noticed some green and some yellow mold/mould.

Now, we've used diluted bleach, isopropyl alcohol, and F10 SC on the TV stand. We've been airing out the room (big sliding glass doors) but of course it's porous material so we're still concerned. Our flatmate is allergic to mold, and of course Cairo lives here too. He's been spending his time outdoors or in our room instead, and (touch wood) he's not been showing any symptoms (but I do plan on taking him to our vet for a check-up).

Since the mold is inside and outside the TV stand, we were discussing using an ozone-emitter and UV-C light for a few hours when everyone (including Cairo) is outside of the house. The UV-C light I feel a bit more comfortable with because it'll only be on for a few hours when we're all out. But the ozone-emitter - how long after turning it off and airing the house again is it safe for Cairo to enter the house? What do you guys recommend to deal with the mold?
__________________
Parront to Cairo (pronounced chai-row, or 菜肉)*!

*He grew up in a Malay-speaking family, so we have to respect his name and preferred pronunciation

@cairothedino on Instagram
Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to charmedbyekkie For This Useful Post:
LaManuka Supporting Member (05-19-2019)
  #2 (permalink)  
Old 05-19-2019, 12:54 PM
Senior Member
Parrots:
Umbrella Cockatoo- 11 years old
Join Date: Jul 2018
Thanks: 3,415
Thanked 5,810 Times in 2,340 Posts
noodles123 will become famous soon enough
Re: Taking Care of Mold? (bleach/alcohol/F10/ozone/UV-C)

No clue..I do know that f10 isn't the best for mold---what was your dilution ratio? For mold, it has to be on the more concentrated end (from my understanding).

Wouldn't it just be cheaper to buy a new tv stand at this point? I mean, a true UV cleaner is going to be expensive...
Is this a wooden tv stand or what?

Last edited by noodles123; 05-19-2019 at 03:03 PM.
Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to noodles123 For This Useful Post:
LaManuka Supporting Member (05-19-2019)
  #3 (permalink)  
Old 05-19-2019, 05:03 PM
LaManuka's Avatar
Supporting Member
Parrots:
Fang (8yo (ab)normal grey cockatiel), HRH Crown Princess Lilly Pilly (purple-crowned lorikeet gotcha date 28 Oct 2018) & Valentino (budgie, gotcha date 14 Feb 2019 at approx 6mo)
Join Date: Aug 2018
Location: Brisbane Australia
Thanks: 3,613
Thanked 5,237 Times in 1,421 Posts
LaManuka is on a distinguished road
Re: Taking Care of Mold? (bleach/alcohol/F10/ozone/UV-C)

Aaaah the joys of living in the tropics, Brisbane is bad enough I can’t imagine how you get on in Singapore!

I have a big beautiful custom built TV unit that cost me a fortune and now we are in an older house it grows mould. I usually tackle it by rubbing half a lemon over it, I’ve also used some supposedly eco- friendly citrus based cleaner, they keep the mould at bay for a while but it grows back...

If you find something that works let me know!!
__________________
"Words speak us more than we speak them.” Hercule Poirot (He may be fictional, but he’s my favourite “Belgian upstart”!)
Reply With Quote
  #4 (permalink)  
Old 05-19-2019, 05:55 PM
Member
Parrots:
Orange Winged Amazon
Join Date: Oct 2018
Location: Pekin, IL
Thanks: 0
Thanked 113 Times in 33 Posts
mgarvie is on a distinguished road
Re: Taking Care of Mold? (bleach/alcohol/F10/ozone/UV-C)

A couple days ago I read hydrogen peroxide kills mold. I never tried it....just a curious link I followed.
Reply With Quote
  #5 (permalink)  
Old 05-22-2019, 12:26 AM
charmedbyekkie's Avatar
Senior Member
Parrots:
Cairo the Ekkie!
Join Date: May 2018
Location: US/SG
Thanks: 1,369
Thanked 2,183 Times in 682 Posts
charmedbyekkie is on a distinguished road
Re: Taking Care of Mold? (bleach/alcohol/F10/ozone/UV-C)

The F10 SC is at a 1:250 ratio, but I can always get a stronger one.

And yep, Singapore is insane with the average house humidity being around 70% unless you run aircon. So once mold starts, it's hard to stop :/ I've been keeping an eye on the walls since they got water stains from all the times it was raining and leaking.

As for the TV stand, it belongs to the landlady. If we can't solve it safely, then I'll push for us to be able to toss it. It's a bit of a pain because it's largely made up of porous particle boards underneath the laminate.

I'll try hydrogen peroxide and some F10 again.
__________________
Parront to Cairo (pronounced chai-row, or 菜肉)*!

*He grew up in a Malay-speaking family, so we have to respect his name and preferred pronunciation

@cairothedino on Instagram
Reply With Quote
  #6 (permalink)  
Old 05-22-2019, 05:43 AM
Senior Member
Parrots:
Umbrella Cockatoo- 11 years old
Join Date: Jul 2018
Thanks: 3,415
Thanked 5,810 Times in 2,340 Posts
noodles123 will become famous soon enough
Re: Taking Care of Mold? (bleach/alcohol/F10/ozone/UV-C)

Based on your wording, it sounds like you are buying the pre-mixed f10. FYI- it's way cheaper to mix it yourself inside of a chemically resistant spray bottle. If you do, then you are able to adjust the ratio on your own and you save a ton of money. 2 ml + 17 oz h2o =1:250 ratio, but you can add more concentrate when you mix after buying. I want to say that one tiny bottle of the concentrate makes roughly 13+ gallons at that dilution ratio.
It's still not the best for all types of mold, but can can deactivate certain varieties from what I understand.
Also- f10 won't make it go away- it just "deactivates" some types of mold spores..so unless you scrub it, it's going to remain visible.

I know that they sell a house wash intended to prevent mold (my parents blasted theirs with it). It contains bleach, but if you have a yard and a couple sunny days, your best bet might be carting it outside, blasting it with a bleach solution and then letting it sit to air out in the sun. I know you said you had issues with pbfd in the area, so that is my only concern about leaving it outside.

Last edited by noodles123; 05-22-2019 at 06:14 AM.
Reply With Quote
Reply

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Parrot Forum - Parrot Owner's Community > Community > General Health Care

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Found mold on our GCC's water bowl in her sleeping cage - please take care! FlockFive General Health Care 11 08-17-2017 06:50 PM
Taking care of birdie when you're away. laurawaterman Conures 6 02-09-2015 03:22 PM
taking care of love birds Neverending1 New Members Welcome 7 10-31-2012 10:54 AM
Looks like I will be taking care of a couple of doves... Remy Others 15 04-08-2012 07:31 AM
All about taking care of parrots antoinette Congo & Timneh Greys 2 02-21-2010 08:24 AM



Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2019, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.