Parrot Forum Header Left  
Go Back   Parrot Forum - Parrot Owner's Community > Community > General Parrot Information

General Parrot Information Post here for general parrot related topics

Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
  #21 (permalink)  
Old 04-04-2018, 01:27 PM
WiseOwl5's Avatar
Supporting Member
Parrots:
Taking care of two budgies | Rex - Very tame, spoiled Rooster | Green Cheek Conure (soon!)
Join Date: Apr 2017
Location: Grande Prairie Area, Alberta, Canada
Thanks: 233
Thanked 238 Times in 141 Posts
WiseOwl5 is on a distinguished road
Re: Is tap water ok?

Sponsored Links
Quote: Originally Posted by Carl_Power View Post
Clean tap water is fine. In the wild huge flocks ambush large trucks transporting bottled spring water because they just wont drink anything else
Lol

Quote: Originally Posted by Scott View Post
I used to use tap water but am more cautious after springing two leaks in house pipe system. Long story short, very hard water combined with chlorine thins the copper piping causing pinholes or worse. House was built with the thinnest-walled piping per code at the time. Faced with the choice of re-piping, I decided to contract an epoxy-lining service that has, thus far, worked well. But I am concerned microscopic bits might leach into water over time. That the coating is "food grade" is not comforting!

So, I have a series of 5-gallon BPA-free jugs with spouts that are re-filled from a nearby "water store." Used for birds and human consumption! Somebody tell me I'm paranoid!!
We're more paranoid. We filter our water before boiling it in a pot for 10 minutes, even though just boiling it would work! And we've never actually tasted our tap water that I know of, but I guess we just hate the taste of chlorine so much that we never drink it straight from the tap. And, on top of that, we also buy jugs of drinking water just in case our water freezes (yes, that happens). And yet, we aren't so paranoid that we don't water our chickens with it, so I don't know.

It's most likely ok, as they've told us it's potable. We just don't like the taste of straight tap water.

And as for hard water, we have that too. We replaced our 10 year old water heater, and it had literal rocks in it! I'm not joking, it had several feet rock crystal stuff in there (probably limestone) and it was very hard to get out of the house. It was very heavy. And we also had this orange iron stuff that coated the bath tub when we had a well, I don't know quite what that was.
Reply With Quote
  #22 (permalink)  
Old 04-04-2018, 01:32 PM
WiseOwl5's Avatar
Supporting Member
Parrots:
Taking care of two budgies | Rex - Very tame, spoiled Rooster | Green Cheek Conure (soon!)
Join Date: Apr 2017
Location: Grande Prairie Area, Alberta, Canada
Thanks: 233
Thanked 238 Times in 141 Posts
WiseOwl5 is on a distinguished road
Re: Is tap water ok?

Quote: Originally Posted by clark_conure View Post
also bear in mind some birds need to eat rocks (grit) to digest food like cockatiels...I don't think hard water is an issue.
We have to feed our chickens this granite gravel stuff (with fairly big chunks). They also eat dirt when they're outside to get more grit, which is wierd since we always offer it. Do cockatiels actually eat rocks or just sand stuff like budgies?
Reply With Quote
  #23 (permalink)  
Old 04-13-2018, 05:43 PM
Karlys's Avatar
Member
Join Date: Apr 2018
Thanks: 18
Thanked 90 Times in 39 Posts
Karlys is on a distinguished road
Re: Is tap water ok?

My tap water is disgusting and, arguably, not fit for human consumption. It comes out of the tap at 700-800 ppm for its total dissolved solids. The EPA says 500 is the max that's tolerable. We bought a TDS meter after my freshwater shrimp kept dying after they'd molt and I was appalled. The fish seem to have adapted but I ended up deciding that shrimp keeping in this house just wasn't going to be possible. We only drink and give our pets bottled water now.

So, basically, it's entirely dependent on your local water quality. Chlorine can always be boiled away or you can use fish tank-grade dechlorinators but your TDS is, unfortunately, there to stay unless you have an RO/DI system.

Last edited by Karlys; 04-13-2018 at 05:48 PM.
Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Karlys For This Useful Post:
WiseOwl5 Supporting Member (04-13-2018)
  #24 (permalink)  
Old 04-13-2018, 05:52 PM
WiseOwl5's Avatar
Supporting Member
Parrots:
Taking care of two budgies | Rex - Very tame, spoiled Rooster | Green Cheek Conure (soon!)
Join Date: Apr 2017
Location: Grande Prairie Area, Alberta, Canada
Thanks: 233
Thanked 238 Times in 141 Posts
WiseOwl5 is on a distinguished road
Re: Is tap water ok?

That sucks. I don't think our water is that bad currently, although when we had our well there was a lot of stuff in it. Still not that bad. I think we could drink our water, but we just don't because any small taste of something makes us not want to drink it.

If it's above the EPA level is that illegal? I don't know what the laws in the States are as far as that. I've been out of the States since I was 2, lol.
Reply With Quote
  #25 (permalink)  
Old 04-13-2018, 06:56 PM
GaleriaGila's Avatar
Super Moderator
Parrots:
The Rickeybird, 34-year-old Patagonian Conure
Join Date: May 2016
Location: Cleveland area
Thanks: 14,834
Thanked 21,778 Times in 7,636 Posts
GaleriaGila is on a distinguished road
Re: Is tap water ok?

I've been using tap water (city, well, across 4 states) for the Rb for 34 years...
__________________
The Rickeybird - 34 year old Patagonian Conure
The Scrapbook. 1984-?. http://www.parrotforums.com/incredib...4-updates.html
The Star. Cinema verite! https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCyC...22fVRRwfLk9gwA
The Artist. He chews holes -uh- designs - in cloth. I sell them in my eBay Gallery.
The Pet of the Day. Suggest one!http://petoftheday.com/archive/2016/May/20.html
Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to GaleriaGila For This Useful Post:
WiseOwl5 Supporting Member (04-13-2018)
  #26 (permalink)  
Old 04-13-2018, 11:20 PM
WiseOwl5's Avatar
Supporting Member
Parrots:
Taking care of two budgies | Rex - Very tame, spoiled Rooster | Green Cheek Conure (soon!)
Join Date: Apr 2017
Location: Grande Prairie Area, Alberta, Canada
Thanks: 233
Thanked 238 Times in 141 Posts
WiseOwl5 is on a distinguished road
Re: Is tap water ok?

Ya, I'm using tap water now. Seems to be ok.
Reply With Quote
  #27 (permalink)  
Old 04-15-2018, 01:13 AM
MonicaMc's Avatar
Senior Member
Parrots:
Mitred Conure - Charlie 1994; Cockatiel - Casey 2001; Wild Caught ARN - Sylphie 2013
Join Date: Sep 2012
Thanks: 2,753
Thanked 4,414 Times in 2,874 Posts
MonicaMc is on a distinguished road
Re: Is tap water ok?

I've learned a lot more about tap water within the past two years. I can say that tap water varies a lot depending on not only where you live but the source of your water. My sister and I both live within walking distance of the same river, but live about 10 minutes away by car. I have "city water", which is sourced from said river and she has "well water", sourced from underground aquifers. My water is soft, since the water is mostly from rain and snow that goes into a big lake (~30 minutes away, along the same river, it's 'medium hard') where-as my sisters is the complete opposite - it's hard. It picks up all the minerals and such from the ground. Rust colored water? Yup, it's a thing...


Interesting fact - if you let the water sit for 24 or so hours, that chlorine (or chlorammine) smell should "off-gas" - better yet if you have a way to aerate the water!




Quote: Originally Posted by clark_conure View Post
also bear in mind some birds need to eat rocks (grit) to digest food like cockatiels...I don't think hard water is an issue.
Quote: Originally Posted by WiseOwl5 View Post
We have to feed our chickens this granite gravel stuff (with fairly big chunks). They also eat dirt when they're outside to get more grit, which is wierd since we always offer it. Do cockatiels actually eat rocks or just sand stuff like budgies?

*NO* parrot requires grit! But *all* parrots out in the wild may consume grit! (including nectar eaters - they might eat *some* although I don't know if this is documented or not)

I've had budgies, cockatiels, turquoisine, bourkes, conures, a lovebird, african ringneck.... never fed grit to any of them religiously, and some never received grit at all. Not necessary.



Quote: Originally Posted by Karlys View Post
My tap water is disgusting and, arguably, not fit for human consumption. It comes out of the tap at 700-800 ppm for its total dissolved solids. The EPA says 500 is the max that's tolerable. We bought a TDS meter after my freshwater shrimp kept dying after they'd molt and I was appalled. The fish seem to have adapted but I ended up deciding that shrimp keeping in this house just wasn't going to be possible. We only drink and give our pets bottled water now.

So, basically, it's entirely dependent on your local water quality. Chlorine can always be boiled away or you can use fish tank-grade dechlorinators but your TDS is, unfortunately, there to stay unless you have an RO/DI system.

The only reason I know as much as I do about tap water... is because of shrimp! I started out with the opposite issue though... water too soft! (have shrimp minerals now!)
__________________
The Earth is not flat and the Sun does not revolve around the Earth. Don't be afraid to question what you learn. In doing so, you may discover a greater truth. ~Mc
Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to MonicaMc For This Useful Post:
WiseOwl5 Supporting Member (04-15-2018)
  #28 (permalink)  
Old 04-15-2018, 01:03 PM
Scott's Avatar
Super Moderator
Parrots:
Goffins: Gabby, Abby, Squeaky, Peanut, Popcorn / Citron: Alice / Eclectus: Angel /Timneh Grey: ET / Blue Fronted Amazon: Gonzo / RIP Gandalf and Big Bird, you are missed.
Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: San Diego, California USA, Earth, Milky Way Galaxy
Thanks: 50,348
Thanked 25,559 Times in 9,854 Posts
Scott is on a distinguished road
Re: Is tap water ok?

Quote: Originally Posted by WiseOwl5 View Post
That sucks. I don't think our water is that bad currently, although when we had our well there was a lot of stuff in it. Still not that bad. I think we could drink our water, but we just don't because any small taste of something makes us not want to drink it.

If it's above the EPA level is that illegal? I don't know what the laws in the States are as far as that. I've been out of the States since I was 2, lol.
Most water in the U.S. is considered "safe" and water agencies usually publish a "report card" giving great detail. This is likely true for most "first world" nations. I've been to several "third world" countries and am painfully careful to use bottled water for everything but the shower and choose foods carefully. Our problems in Canada and the U.S. are generally limited to taste and occasional nasty impurities. But then there's always the terrible lead water in Flint Michigan.

Wanna hear a horribly true story about contaminated water?? Back in the 1990s, an airliner pilot crew became very sick on the flight home from Bangkok, Thailand to San Francisco. Constantly in and out of the lavatory. Next day one of the pilots was violently sick, went to the doctor and had various tests to determine the offending organism. A few days later the doctor called and asked if he was close to dead bodies. Wut?? Turns out the crew had purchased beer from a street vendor. The cans and bottles were covered with ice, and they likely just shook off the chips and enjoyed. The problem was the beer vendor had scored the ice free, from a local morgue. They covered the bodies with ice during transport from the hospital, and were happy to give the ice away!
__________________
Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Scott For This Useful Post:
WiseOwl5 Supporting Member (04-15-2018)
  #29 (permalink)  
Old 04-15-2018, 02:09 PM
WiseOwl5's Avatar
Supporting Member
Parrots:
Taking care of two budgies | Rex - Very tame, spoiled Rooster | Green Cheek Conure (soon!)
Join Date: Apr 2017
Location: Grande Prairie Area, Alberta, Canada
Thanks: 233
Thanked 238 Times in 141 Posts
WiseOwl5 is on a distinguished road
Re: Is tap water ok?

Quote: Originally Posted by Scott View Post
Wanna hear a horribly true story about contaminated water?? Back in the 1990s, an airliner pilot crew became very sick on the flight home from Bangkok, Thailand to San Francisco. Constantly in and out of the lavatory. Next day one of the pilots was violently sick, went to the doctor and had various tests to determine the offending organism. A few days later the doctor called and asked if he was close to dead bodies. Wut?? Turns out the crew had purchased beer from a street vendor. The cans and bottles were covered with ice, and they likely just shook off the chips and enjoyed. The problem was the beer vendor had scored the ice free, from a local morgue. They covered the bodies with ice during transport from the hospital, and were happy to give the ice away!
It sucks how much how much contamination happens like that in those places. While I'm glad we don't have stuff like that in Europe and here in North America, it's sad to think that it happens in other places. Nice story telling!
Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to WiseOwl5 For This Useful Post:
Scott  (04-16-2018)
  #30 (permalink)  
Old 04-15-2018, 02:19 PM
WiseOwl5's Avatar
Supporting Member
Parrots:
Taking care of two budgies | Rex - Very tame, spoiled Rooster | Green Cheek Conure (soon!)
Join Date: Apr 2017
Location: Grande Prairie Area, Alberta, Canada
Thanks: 233
Thanked 238 Times in 141 Posts
WiseOwl5 is on a distinguished road
Re: Is tap water ok?

Quote: Originally Posted by MonicaMc View Post
I've learned a lot more about tap water within the past two years. I can say that tap water varies a lot depending on not only where you live but the source of your water. My sister and I both live within walking distance of the same river, but live about 10 minutes away by car. I have "city water", which is sourced from said river and she has "well water", sourced from underground aquifers. My water is soft, since the water is mostly from rain and snow that goes into a big lake (~30 minutes away, along the same river, it's 'medium hard') where-as my sisters is the complete opposite - it's hard. It picks up all the minerals and such from the ground. Rust colored water? Yup, it's a thing...
We use to have well water, until our well collapsed. It was like 50 years old, so we knew it would happen sooner or later. Now that we haul water from a town water system, it's night and day difference! So much less minerals clogging stuff up (although it still does to some degree) and no more rust coating on the bathtub/sinks. Hopefully this new water heater doesn't get rock (calcium carbonate I think) buildup in the bottom like the last one...

Quote: Originally Posted by MonicaMc View Post
*NO* parrot requires grit! But *all* parrots out in the wild may consume grit! (including nectar eaters - they might eat *some* although I don't know if this is documented or not)

I've had budgies, cockatiels, turquoisine, bourkes, conures, a lovebird, african ringneck.... never fed grit to any of them religiously, and some never received grit at all. Not necessary.
Good to know! We've offered budgie sand stuff before, but they never touched it.
Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to WiseOwl5 For This Useful Post:
Scott  (04-16-2018)
Reply

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Parrot Forum - Parrot Owner's Community > Community > General Parrot Information
Remove Ads

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Which water cup do you use? syakti Conures 19 12-30-2017 09:18 PM
Water bottle vs. Water dish? sarahsaurus Questions and Answers 14 07-18-2017 05:45 AM
water bottle vs water cup - opinions please Riio Conures 8 09-27-2012 04:21 PM
Water bottle or water dish? MissyMe83 General Parrot Information 5 12-03-2011 01:48 AM
Bottled Water or Tap Water? Spiritbird Congo & Timneh Greys 17 05-27-2010 07:33 AM



Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2018, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.