Parrot Forum Header Left  
Go Back   Parrot Forum - Parrot Owner's Community > Community > General Parrot Information

General Parrot Information Post here for general parrot related topics

Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
  #1 (permalink)  
Old 12-27-2018, 01:18 PM
Senior Member
Parrots:
Greenwing macaw baby girl
Join Date: Oct 2014
Location: Illinois, Chicago suburbs
Thanks: 35
Thanked 70 Times in 45 Posts
Timneh is on a distinguished road
What do you think about the Flight Suit Diaper?

Sponsored Links
I was thinking of training my new baby greenwing to use a harness and also one of these Flight Suit Diapers, what do you think of the diaper harness, is it unsafe?

Thank you

https://www.flightquarters.com/bird-...d-diapers.html
Reply With Quote
  #2 (permalink)  
Old 12-27-2018, 01:43 PM
EllenD's Avatar
Senior Member
Parrots:
Senegal Parrot named "Kane"; Yellow-Sided Green Cheek Conure named "Bowie"; Blue Quaker Parrot named "Lita Ford"; Cockatiel named "Duff"; 8 American/English Budgie Hybrids; Ringneck Dove named "Dylan"
Join Date: Aug 2016
Location: State College, PA
Thanks: 5,108
Thanked 5,903 Times in 2,471 Posts
EllenD is on a distinguished road
Re: What do you think about the Flight Suit Diaper?

All of my guys are Aviator-Harness trained, and I love that because they go everywhere with me during the spring/summer/fall. It took different amounts of time to train them to simply accept the Aviator Harness being put on them (the loop going over their head is usually the biggest struggle), but regardless of what brand/type of harness you want to use, you need to start training your Macaw to accept it as early as possible. The earlier they start getting used to the harness, the easier it is to get them to not only accept putting it on, but also accept wearing it so they aren't constantly chewing on it once it's on them...As far as a regular harness goes, the Aviator-Harness is by-far the one that is most-recommended and is the easiest to get them to accept and put on. It's also very safe for them, and they can easily fly on the lead with you running with them. They also have leash-extensions for "Recall-Training" and for just giving them more leeway.

As far as any type of "Flight-Suits" go, that's a totally different thing all together. Again, you want to start training your bird to accept putting them on/wearing them as early as possible. Some birds can't stand "wearing" anything like a flight-suit. I bought one a long, long time ago for my Green Cheek Conure when he was a just-weaned baby, and I can still put it on him, he doesn't mind it, but in all honesty I found the flight-suit way more of a pain in the ass than anything else. You have to change the pad inside it often, which is a real pain for both you and the bird, and I found it much easier to just train them to fly to their cage/stands to poop than to having them wear a flight-suit all day long and having to change out the pad inside constantly...Personal preference...but I'm all for the Aviator Harness.
__________________
"Dance Like Nobody's Watching".
Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to EllenD For This Useful Post:
reeisconfused (12-27-2018)
  #3 (permalink)  
Old 12-27-2018, 08:50 PM
Senior Member
Parrots:
Greenwing macaw baby girl
Join Date: Oct 2014
Location: Illinois, Chicago suburbs
Thanks: 35
Thanked 70 Times in 45 Posts
Timneh is on a distinguished road
Re: What do you think about the Flight Suit Diaper?

Quote: Originally Posted by EllenD View Post
All of my guys are Aviator-Harness trained, and I love that because they go everywhere with me during the spring/summer/fall. It took different amounts of time to train them to simply accept the Aviator Harness being put on them (the loop going over their head is usually the biggest struggle), but regardless of what brand/type of harness you want to use, you need to start training your Macaw to accept it as early as possible. The earlier they start getting used to the harness, the easier it is to get them to not only accept putting it on, but also accept wearing it so they aren't constantly chewing on it once it's on them...As far as a regular harness goes, the Aviator-Harness is by-far the one that is most-recommended and is the easiest to get them to accept and put on. It's also very safe for them, and they can easily fly on the lead with you running with them. They also have leash-extensions for "Recall-Training" and for just giving them more leeway.

As far as any type of "Flight-Suits" go, that's a totally different thing all together. Again, you want to start training your bird to accept putting them on/wearing them as early as possible. Some birds can't stand "wearing" anything like a flight-suit. I bought one a long, long time ago for my Green Cheek Conure when he was a just-weaned baby, and I can still put it on him, he doesn't mind it, but in all honesty I found the flight-suit way more of a pain in the ass than anything else. You have to change the pad inside it often, which is a real pain for both you and the bird, and I found it much easier to just train them to fly to their cage/stands to poop than to having them wear a flight-suit all day long and having to change out the pad inside constantly...Personal preference...but I'm all for the Aviator Harness.
I hear you about training them to use a harness while their young.
The diaper harness is not for them to wear all day but just on occasions when you take them to a family or friends house or in a building for sanitary reasons, I would never make them wear it all day inside my house.
Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Timneh For This Useful Post:
Inger Supporting Member (12-28-2018)
  #4 (permalink)  
Old 12-27-2018, 10:42 PM
Sunnyclover's Avatar
Supporting Member
Parrots:
Sun Conure - Ollie- Hatched 08/18/16 Nanday Conure -Finley- Hatched 10/07/17 Turquoise Yellow Sided Green Cheek Conure -Paris- Hatched 03/03/18 Black Capped Conure -North- Hatched 10/10/18
Join Date: Jan 2017
Location: New Jersey
Thanks: 803
Thanked 2,360 Times in 964 Posts
Sunnyclover is on a distinguished road
Re: What do you think about the Flight Suit Diaper?

I hate flight suits. I don't think it's good for the bird to have poop touching or near it's butt for that long of period of time. Not to mention putting them on is one thing g but taking it off with that poop diaper pad is a pain to get off in tact without getting it all over you and the bird or and the flight suit (if they've had it on for a few hours). Not to mention if you've potty trained your bird then this flight suit will be very very confusing because they'll wonder if they're on your shoulder in the suit should they go there from now on even if they aren't wearing the suit? So you may accidentally unpottytrain your bird after a few days. Yeah...the harness is much better in my opinion and my birds just sit on my shoulder and in about 15 mins if being out and about in a store or outside (even better) I just tap the tail and ask them to go potty and most of the time they go and we're good for another 15 to 20 mins. Super easy...in stores I usually just put a Kleenex down on the cart for them to go off the carts handle or I'll just slip into the bathroom and have them poopy in the toilet or sink (don't worry I don't like sit them on the toilet seat). Hope this helps.
__________________
--Desi
We invite you to follow along with our story as we bird through life one screech at a time:
http://www.parrotforums.com/incredib...re-s-tail.html
My YouTube channel featuring Ollie and Finley :
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCwK...dZ2smJNGO9Lhkw
Add me on Snapchat! Username: desieagan https://www.snapchat.com/add/desieagan
Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Sunnyclover For This Useful Post:
EllenD (12-28-2018), Timneh (12-28-2018)
  #5 (permalink)  
Old 12-28-2018, 08:46 AM
Morty's Avatar
Member
Parrots:
Green Cheek Conure (Pizza Roll), Jenday Conure (Woody)
Join Date: Sep 2018
Location: New York
Thanks: 39
Thanked 155 Times in 56 Posts
Morty is on a distinguished road
Re: What do you think about the Flight Suit Diaper?

I love the flight suits, I have used one on a pigeon I was raising and so I got one for my GCC. Neither bird liked it. My pigeon "accepted it" but my Green Cheek, oh good lord. I can get it on but he incessantly picks at the straps and refuses to stand while its on, lol.
Reply With Quote
  #6 (permalink)  
Old 12-28-2018, 09:06 AM
Senior Member
Parrots:
Greenwing macaw baby girl
Join Date: Oct 2014
Location: Illinois, Chicago suburbs
Thanks: 35
Thanked 70 Times in 45 Posts
Timneh is on a distinguished road
Re: What do you think about the Flight Suit Diaper?

Quote: Originally Posted by Sunnyclover View Post
I hate flight suits. I don't think it's good for the bird to have poop touching or near it's butt for that long of period of time. Not to mention putting them on is one thing g but taking it off with that poop diaper pad is a pain to get off in tact without getting it all over you and the bird or and the flight suit (if they've had it on for a few hours). Not to mention if you've potty trained your bird then this flight suit will be very very confusing because they'll wonder if they're on your shoulder in the suit should they go there from now on even if they aren't wearing the suit? So you may accidentally unpottytrain your bird after a few days. Yeah...the harness is much better in my opinion and my birds just sit on my shoulder and in about 15 mins if being out and about in a store or outside (even better) I just tap the tail and ask them to go potty and most of the time they go and we're good for another 15 to 20 mins. Super easy...in stores I usually just put a Kleenex down on the cart for them to go off the carts handle or I'll just slip into the bathroom and have them poopy in the toilet or sink (don't worry I don't like sit them on the toilet seat). Hope this helps.
Thank you for the info, I kinda thought the same things, plus a GW Macaw can hold it for over an hour without pooping.
Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Timneh For This Useful Post:
Sunnyclover Supporting Member (12-28-2018)
  #7 (permalink)  
Old 12-28-2018, 09:53 AM
EllenD's Avatar
Senior Member
Parrots:
Senegal Parrot named "Kane"; Yellow-Sided Green Cheek Conure named "Bowie"; Blue Quaker Parrot named "Lita Ford"; Cockatiel named "Duff"; 8 American/English Budgie Hybrids; Ringneck Dove named "Dylan"
Join Date: Aug 2016
Location: State College, PA
Thanks: 5,108
Thanked 5,903 Times in 2,471 Posts
EllenD is on a distinguished road
Re: What do you think about the Flight Suit Diaper?

Quote: Originally Posted by Timneh View Post
Quote: Originally Posted by EllenD View Post
All of my guys are Aviator-Harness trained, and I love that because they go everywhere with me during the spring/summer/fall. It took different amounts of time to train them to simply accept the Aviator Harness being put on them (the loop going over their head is usually the biggest struggle), but regardless of what brand/type of harness you want to use, you need to start training your Macaw to accept it as early as possible. The earlier they start getting used to the harness, the easier it is to get them to not only accept putting it on, but also accept wearing it so they aren't constantly chewing on it once it's on them...As far as a regular harness goes, the Aviator-Harness is by-far the one that is most-recommended and is the easiest to get them to accept and put on. It's also very safe for them, and they can easily fly on the lead with you running with them. They also have leash-extensions for "Recall-Training" and for just giving them more leeway.

As far as any type of "Flight-Suits" go, that's a totally different thing all together. Again, you want to start training your bird to accept putting them on/wearing them as early as possible. Some birds can't stand "wearing" anything like a flight-suit. I bought one a long, long time ago for my Green Cheek Conure when he was a just-weaned baby, and I can still put it on him, he doesn't mind it, but in all honesty I found the flight-suit way more of a pain in the ass than anything else. You have to change the pad inside it often, which is a real pain for both you and the bird, and I found it much easier to just train them to fly to their cage/stands to poop than to having them wear a flight-suit all day long and having to change out the pad inside constantly...Personal preference...but I'm all for the Aviator Harness.
I hear you about training them to use a harness while their young.
The diaper harness is not for them to wear all day but just on occasions when you take them to a family or friends house or in a building for sanitary reasons, I would never make them wear it all day inside my house.

I know plenty of people and have seen plenty of people here who have a flightsuit on their birds WHENEVER they are out of their cages. That's unfortunately pretty common. That's what I thought you were talking about doing...As far as what you're talking about, just using a flightsuit when you take him somewhere like a friend's house, I still prefer just training them to go whenever they are on their stands/cages or however you want to train them...The flightsuits in my experience aren't "sanitary" at all, at least not for the bird...But I'm very happy to hear that you aren't one of the people who want to make their poor bird wear the thing every time he's not in his cage!!!
__________________
"Dance Like Nobody's Watching".
Reply With Quote
  #8 (permalink)  
Old 12-28-2018, 01:57 PM
SilleIN's Avatar
Senior Member
Parrots:
Lots of parrots, most of them rescues
Join Date: Aug 2016
Location: Denmark
Thanks: 101
Thanked 522 Times in 252 Posts
SilleIN is on a distinguished road
Re: What do you think about the Flight Suit Diaper?

I usually put my parrots in flight suits when I bring them to a business meeting. For some reason no one loves a meeting to be interrupted by the smell and mess of a bird poop.

My job accepts me to use my parrots as ESA's and I therefore bring a parrot with me almost every where.

Also use them, when they go shopping with me. No stores will accept me bringing a bird into the store if any food might get contaminated by bird feces.

I have used them for all sorts of birds (lorikeets, mini-macaws, eckies, cockatoos, large macaws). I don't trust the diaper as a harness on the cockatoos or large macaws, they get a harness on top, but the smaller birds just gets the diaper on and the leash on the velcro attachment.
Mulle can't fly, so no additional harness is needed.

Reply With Quote
  #9 (permalink)  
Old 12-28-2018, 02:14 PM
Senior Member
Parrots:
Sunny a female B&G macaw; Japie (m) & Appie (f), both are congo african grey; All are rescues- had to leave their previous homes for 'reasons', are still in contact with them :)
Join Date: May 2018
Location: NL= the Netherlands, Europe
Thanks: 2,849
Thanked 5,912 Times in 2,135 Posts
ChristaNL is on a distinguished road
Re: What do you think about the Flight Suit Diaper?

diapers: I haven't tried them (yet) but I think it would be great in 'sensitive' situations (f.e. visiting non-bird people who are probably not okay with birdpoop- even if it is removed almost at once).
In any other situation...why? Just remove it after it leaves the insides of the bird...



Safetywise...no way... velcro will not hold anything beyond a zebra-finch in my not-so-humble opinion.
A parrot in a panic will take off at full speeds and velcro gets dirty/ old pretty fast so the force it will able to absorb will not always be great.
Not something I will ever trust.
Reply With Quote
  #10 (permalink)  
Old 12-28-2018, 03:50 PM
Sunnyclover's Avatar
Supporting Member
Parrots:
Sun Conure - Ollie- Hatched 08/18/16 Nanday Conure -Finley- Hatched 10/07/17 Turquoise Yellow Sided Green Cheek Conure -Paris- Hatched 03/03/18 Black Capped Conure -North- Hatched 10/10/18
Join Date: Jan 2017
Location: New Jersey
Thanks: 803
Thanked 2,360 Times in 964 Posts
Sunnyclover is on a distinguished road
Re: What do you think about the Flight Suit Diaper?

Quote: Originally Posted by SilleIN View Post
I usually put my parrots in flight suits when I bring them to a business meeting. For some reason no one loves a meeting to be interrupted by the smell and mess of a bird poop.

My job accepts me to use my parrots as ESA's and I therefore bring a parrot with me almost every where.

Also use them, when they go shopping with me. No stores will accept me bringing a bird into the store if any food might get contaminated by bird feces.
Umm bird poop shouldn't smell or something is terribly wrong with the bird.
__________________
--Desi
We invite you to follow along with our story as we bird through life one screech at a time:
http://www.parrotforums.com/incredib...re-s-tail.html
My YouTube channel featuring Ollie and Finley :
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCwK...dZ2smJNGO9Lhkw
Add me on Snapchat! Username: desieagan https://www.snapchat.com/add/desieagan
Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Sunnyclover For This Useful Post:
Kiwibird Supporting Member (12-30-2018)
Reply

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Parrot Forum - Parrot Owner's Community > Community > General Parrot Information
Remove Ads

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Flight suit harness and diaper jazden Questions and Answers 2 04-17-2017 08:41 PM
Aviator Harness vs. Flight Suit Diaper? Sherry1 Training 7 04-10-2015 05:10 PM
Flight suit/diaper... Abzeez Questions and Answers 22 06-16-2014 09:22 AM
Flight suit/Bird Diaper help PicklesParrot Training 12 03-31-2013 07:08 PM
Flight Feathers, Harness/Flight Suit, Clipping? splishims Conures 4 05-26-2011 09:32 AM



Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2019, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.