Parrot Forum Header Left  
Go Back   Parrot Forum - Parrot Owner's Community > Species Specific > Macaws

Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
  #61 (permalink)  
Old 11-15-2016, 12:18 PM
GaleriaGila's Avatar
Supporting Member
Parrots:
The Rickeybird, 36-year-old Patagonian Conure
Join Date: May 2016
Location: Cleveland area
Thanks: 37,191
Thanked 36,525 Times in 11,247 Posts
GaleriaGila will become famous soon enough
Re: Radio Free Blue & Gold: All Gus, all the time.

I am in an excellent position to agree that the whole concept of parrots as pets can be a stretch. For every Alex or Salty, there is a Rickeybird. I sincerely believe that few other sane (give me the benefit of doubt!) person would have kept him and endured the noise and aggression and flighted activity level. I believe he would have been tossed into a basement or sold for 5 bucks at a flea market and so on and so on. I believe it is his nature, it's just who he is. The only significant regulation of his macho-ness was getting him on that natural light schedule, which cut His Sexiness' wild months to 2 or 3. I really wish that for you and Gus.

Well... it's a very touching pleasure to be a member of Team Gus. I really think that after all he's been through, his current situation must seem like HEAVEN to him.
I hope you feel really good about that.
__________________

My Rickeybird - 36 year old Patagonian Conure
The Artist. He chews holes -uh- designs - in cloth. I sell them in my eBay art store, Galeria Pet Portraits.
The Scrapbook. 1984-? http://www.parrotforums.com/incredib...4-updates.html
The Star. Cinema verite! https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCyC...22fVRRwfLk9gwA
The Pet of the Day. Suggest one!http://petoftheday.com/archive/2016/May/20.html
Patagonian Conure Tutorial http://www.parrotforums.com/conures/...-tutorial.html

Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to GaleriaGila For This Useful Post:
Kentuckienne Vendor (11-15-2016)
  #62 (permalink)  
Old 11-15-2016, 12:51 PM
Member
Parrots:
Diamond; blue&gold macaw. Metal band indicates Imported pre 1990 so...at LEAST 27yrs old.
Join Date: Oct 2016
Location: Northern California
Thanks: 10
Thanked 20 Times in 14 Posts
Scottj is on a distinguished road
Re: Radio Free Blue & Gold: All Gus, all the time.

Quote: Originally Posted by Kentuckienne View Post
AYE!

It's still a struggle ... He did still take off a couple of down feathers, It is such a helpless feeling, looking at him and wondering to do to help him. He's at such a disadvantage .... Hunchbacked, weak, falls off the cage, doesn't talk, doesn't know how to play, honestly is probably not that smart ... Not what you dream of in a companion parrot, really. I love him anyway. This is why parrots should not be pets ... For every Alex, for every Salty, there must be multiple ordinary or dumb or ornery birds that disappoint their owners and get passed on or shunted aside.
I feel your pain K! I think we have taken away there natural way of living and then it becomes trying to manage their displaced behaviors which can be rough. One thing you can take to heart is that in the wild Gus wouldn't have made it this far so you truly are giving him life and doing a great job at that! Kudos. I see Diamond has pulled out down feathers recently but I think it's just that time of year. We both are seeing how tough it can be taking on a rescue bird. Diamond still calls out for "Harold" at least once everyday, a man he hasn't seen in years and that left him neglected out in the cold. I still have great hopes for him but have come to terms with the fact it will be on his terms, not mine.

I'm sure 50,000 years ago no one dared to hold out food in ones hand for a dog.

Hang in there your doing great!
Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Scottj For This Useful Post:
Kentuckienne Vendor (11-15-2016)
  #63 (permalink)  
Old 11-15-2016, 03:46 PM
SilleIN's Avatar
Senior Member
Parrots:
Lots of parrots, most of them rescues
Join Date: Aug 2016
Location: Denmark
Thanks: 103
Thanked 563 Times in 273 Posts
SilleIN is on a distinguished road
Re: Radio Free Blue & Gold: All Gus, all the time.

I wrote the post below not long ago for someone, who had constant regurgitation issues. I guess this would apply in your case as well.

Quote: Originally Posted by SilleIN View Post
When my B&G wants to regurgitate food to me, I move his beak and say "No thanks". This stops the motion and he looks a little disappointed, but accepts it. I would stop her regurgitation already at the start at the motion instead of waiting for the food comes.

If she's really love sick, I would only pet her on her head, neck and upper back. Even under the wings when they are hormonal, can set them off.

Fortunately I have never had my bird masturbate on me and I believe that is because I have stopped his advances, when they were just advances and not actually love making.

I think when changing your way to handle your bird, you can expect some irritability from your bird, as she will probably not understand what's going on.

Good luck with de-sexing you from your bird
If Diamond is also molting, Gus could be molting as well. Look at the ends to see of they are snapped. The macaws in Denmark are almost all molting at the moment.

I must admit, the only thing that takes Sugar straight out of his sexy mood is a good flight. If he gets to fly for at good 10-15 minutes to the point where he is panting really hard, that takes all the lovemaking right out off him.
Reply With Quote
  #64 (permalink)  
Old 11-15-2016, 04:42 PM
GaleriaGila's Avatar
Supporting Member
Parrots:
The Rickeybird, 36-year-old Patagonian Conure
Join Date: May 2016
Location: Cleveland area
Thanks: 37,191
Thanked 36,525 Times in 11,247 Posts
GaleriaGila will become famous soon enough
Re: Radio Free Blue & Gold: All Gus, all the time.

[quote=SilleIN;618112]I wrote the post below not long ago for someone, who had constant regurgitation issues. I guess this would apply in your case as well.

Quote: Originally Posted by SilleIN View Post

I must admit, the only thing that takes Sugar straight out of his sexy mood is a good flight. If he gets to fly for at good 10-15 minutes to the point where he is panting really hard, that takes all the lovemaking right out off him.
Sille, you have such great ideas.
And that rang a bell with me. When the Rickeybird is in his sexy months, nothing chills him out faster than if I move back and forth from several rooms (like when cleaning). He gets worn out flying around after me. Thing is, I never thought to do that purposefully, but... I will now!!!!!
__________________

My Rickeybird - 36 year old Patagonian Conure
The Artist. He chews holes -uh- designs - in cloth. I sell them in my eBay art store, Galeria Pet Portraits.
The Scrapbook. 1984-? http://www.parrotforums.com/incredib...4-updates.html
The Star. Cinema verite! https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCyC...22fVRRwfLk9gwA
The Pet of the Day. Suggest one!http://petoftheday.com/archive/2016/May/20.html
Patagonian Conure Tutorial http://www.parrotforums.com/conures/...-tutorial.html

Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to GaleriaGila For This Useful Post:
SilleIN (11-15-2016)
  #65 (permalink)  
Old 11-15-2016, 05:47 PM
Supporting Member
Parrots:
Goofy (YNA), Oscar (Goffin 'too). Foster bird Betty (RLA). RIP Cookie, 1991-2016 ('tiel), Leo (Sengal), Charlotte (scarlet macaw). Grand-birds: Liam (budgie), Donovan (lovebird), RIP Angelo (budgie)
Join Date: Feb 2016
Location: San Diego, CA
Thanks: 478
Thanked 2,229 Times in 926 Posts
BeatriceC is on a distinguished road
Re: Radio Free Blue & Gold: All Gus, all the time.

Quote: Originally Posted by GaleriaGila View Post
I am in an excellent position to agree that the whole concept of parrots as pets can be a stretch. For every Alex or Salty, there is a Rickeybird. I sincerely believe that few other sane (give me the benefit of doubt!) person would have kept him and endured the noise and aggression and flighted activity level. I believe he would have been tossed into a basement or sold for 5 bucks at a flea market and so on and so on. I believe it is his nature, it's just who he is. The only significant regulation of his macho-ness was getting him on that natural light schedule, which cut His Sexiness' wild months to 2 or 3. I really wish that for you and Gus.

Well... it's a very touching pleasure to be a member of Team Gus. I really think that after all he's been through, his current situation must seem like HEAVEN to him.
I hope you feel really good about that.

My birds aren't my pets. They're companions and I'm their human servant. Just ask them.
Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to BeatriceC For This Useful Post:
Kentuckienne Vendor (11-15-2016), trimblegirls (01-02-2017)
  #66 (permalink)  
Old 11-15-2016, 08:38 PM
Kentuckienne's Avatar
Supporting Vendor
Parrots:
Gus, Blue and gold macaw rescue
Join Date: Oct 2016
Location: Middle of nowhere (kentuckianna)
Thanks: 1,211
Thanked 3,850 Times in 1,701 Posts
Kentuckienne will become famous soon enough
Re: Radio Free Blue & Gold: All Gus, all the time.

A big shout-out to Team Gus!

I was out today for errands and thought, Gus needs exercise. He's eating better, he has some papers to tear up, he has two humans to spoil his little blue butt, and energy must be building up. With his skeletal problems he will never be able to fly, but maybe i could get him to step up onto a perch and find a way to make him flap his wings.

If we make some ladders he might move around more on his cage. He's not graceful. Maybe he can get some climbing exercise.

The beak-grabbing trick sounds good. We really want to let him sit with us as and be a cuddle bug again. There must be a way to distract him...

I guess there's no way to know...but if he had been born in the wild and survived the hazards that face a young macaw, he wouldn't have been malnourished, his bones would be normal, and by now he would have a mate and offspring and be flying free and squawking as loud as he wanted. His regurgitating would be appreciated by mate and chicks. People broke him. Not out of malice - he was a spoiled rotten parrot - out of ignorance, but the reason doesn't change the fact that people gave him those deformities. And now here he is, millennia of DNA coded instincts, and nothing resembling what he's programmed to know. No jungle, no trees, no rain, no clay lick, no flock, no flying, no mate, no nest, no chicks. He's superbly tuned to do things that don't exist in our house. No wonder he's agitated and confused, poor guy. It's beyond tragic. Again, thanks to all of Team Gus for reaching out to him.
Reply With Quote
  #67 (permalink)  
Old 11-15-2016, 08:46 PM
Kentuckienne's Avatar
Supporting Vendor
Parrots:
Gus, Blue and gold macaw rescue
Join Date: Oct 2016
Location: Middle of nowhere (kentuckianna)
Thanks: 1,211
Thanked 3,850 Times in 1,701 Posts
Kentuckienne will become famous soon enough
Re: Radio Free Blue & Gold: All Gus, all the time.

Quote: Originally Posted by GaleriaGila View Post
I am in an excellent position to agree that the whole concept of parrots as pets can be a stretch. For every Alex or Salty, there is a Rickeybird. I sincerely believe that few other sane (give me the benefit of doubt!) person would have kept him and endured the noise and aggression and flighted activity level. I believe he would have been tossed into a basement or sold for 5 bucks at a flea market and so on and so on. I believe it is his nature, it's just who he is. The only significant regulation of his macho-ness was getting him on that natural light schedule, which cut His Sexiness' wild months to 2 or 3. I really wish that for you and Gus.
I nominate you for sainthood. ALL HAIL SAINT GAIL!!!!!
Reply With Quote
  #68 (permalink)  
Old 11-15-2016, 08:55 PM
Kentuckienne's Avatar
Supporting Vendor
Parrots:
Gus, Blue and gold macaw rescue
Join Date: Oct 2016
Location: Middle of nowhere (kentuckianna)
Thanks: 1,211
Thanked 3,850 Times in 1,701 Posts
Kentuckienne will become famous soon enough
Re: Radio Free Blue & Gold: All Gus, all the time.

Quote: Originally Posted by Scottj View Post
Quote: Originally Posted by Kentuckienne View Post
AYE!

It's still a struggle ... He did still take off a couple of down feathers, It is such a helpless feeling, looking at him and wondering to do to help him. He's at such a disadvantage .... Hunchbacked, weak, falls off the cage, doesn't talk, doesn't know how to play, honestly is probably not that smart ... Not what you dream of in a companion parrot, really. I love him anyway. This is why parrots should not be pets ... For every Alex, for every Salty, there must be multiple ordinary or dumb or ornery birds that disappoint their owners and get passed on or shunted aside.
I feel your pain K! I think we have taken away there natural way of living and then it becomes trying to manage their displaced behaviors which can be rough. One thing you can take to heart is that in the wild Gus wouldn't have made it this far so you truly are giving him life and doing a great job at that! Kudos. I see Diamond has pulled out down feathers recently but I think it's just that time of year. We both are seeing how tough it can be taking on a rescue bird. Diamond still calls out for "Harold" at least once everyday, a man he hasn't seen in years and that left him neglected out in the cold. I still have great hopes for him but have come to terms with the fact it will be on his terms, not mine.

I'm sure 50,000 years ago no one dared to hold out food in ones hand for a dog.

Hang in there your doing great!
Maybe to Diamond, "Harold" isn't that guy's name. Maybe "Harold" means "OOO OOO there you are, you're still here!"
Reply With Quote
  #69 (permalink)  
Old 11-16-2016, 08:19 AM
SilleIN's Avatar
Senior Member
Parrots:
Lots of parrots, most of them rescues
Join Date: Aug 2016
Location: Denmark
Thanks: 103
Thanked 563 Times in 273 Posts
SilleIN is on a distinguished road
Re: Radio Free Blue & Gold: All Gus, all the time.

Quote: Originally Posted by Kentuckienne View Post
Quote: Originally Posted by Scottj View Post
Quote: Originally Posted by Kentuckienne View Post
AYE!

It's still a struggle ... He did still take off a couple of down feathers, It is such a helpless feeling, looking at him and wondering to do to help him. He's at such a disadvantage .... Hunchbacked, weak, falls off the cage, doesn't talk, doesn't know how to play, honestly is probably not that smart ... Not what you dream of in a companion parrot, really. I love him anyway. This is why parrots should not be pets ... For every Alex, for every Salty, there must be multiple ordinary or dumb or ornery birds that disappoint their owners and get passed on or shunted aside.
I feel your pain K! I think we have taken away there natural way of living and then it becomes trying to manage their displaced behaviors which can be rough. One thing you can take to heart is that in the wild Gus wouldn't have made it this far so you truly are giving him life and doing a great job at that! Kudos. I see Diamond has pulled out down feathers recently but I think it's just that time of year. We both are seeing how tough it can be taking on a rescue bird. Diamond still calls out for "Harold" at least once everyday, a man he hasn't seen in years and that left him neglected out in the cold. I still have great hopes for him but have come to terms with the fact it will be on his terms, not mine.

I'm sure 50,000 years ago no one dared to hold out food in ones hand for a dog.

Hang in there your doing great!
Maybe to Diamond, "Harold" isn't that guy's name. Maybe "Harold" means "OOO OOO there you are, you're still here!"
Sugar shouted "DAAADDYYY" when i got him. As I am female, I thought that was a bad name for "My human", which basically was what he meant. When he would call "daddy" I would call back "Mommy". After a while he would go "daddy-mommy" and I would respond with "Yes sweetheart". After a while he realised he could skip the daddy part and he today only calls me "Mommy". And if you ask him, who's the best in the world he also responds with "Mommy"

If you want Diamond to call you something else, try to respond to "Harold" with the think you want him to call you Mind you, it will take som time

And sorry for giving Diamond advice in Gus' thread
Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to SilleIN For This Useful Post:
Kentuckienne Vendor (11-16-2016)
  #70 (permalink)  
Old 11-16-2016, 08:36 AM
SilleIN's Avatar
Senior Member
Parrots:
Lots of parrots, most of them rescues
Join Date: Aug 2016
Location: Denmark
Thanks: 103
Thanked 563 Times in 273 Posts
SilleIN is on a distinguished road
Re: Radio Free Blue & Gold: All Gus, all the time.

Quote: Originally Posted by Kentuckienne View Post
A big shout-out to Team Gus!

I was out today for errands and thought, Gus needs exercise. He's eating better, he has some papers to tear up, he has two humans to spoil his little blue butt, and energy must be building up. With his skeletal problems he will never be able to fly, but maybe i could get him to step up onto a perch and find a way to make him flap his wings.

If we make some ladders he might move around more on his cage. He's not graceful. Maybe he can get some climbing exercise.

The beak-grabbing trick sounds good. We really want to let him sit with us as and be a cuddle bug again. There must be a way to distract him...

I guess there's no way to know...but if he had been born in the wild and survived the hazards that face a young macaw, he wouldn't have been malnourished, his bones would be normal, and by now he would have a mate and offspring and be flying free and squawking as loud as he wanted. His regurgitating would be appreciated by mate and chicks. People broke him. Not out of malice - he was a spoiled rotten parrot - out of ignorance, but the reason doesn't change the fact that people gave him those deformities. And now here he is, millennia of DNA coded instincts, and nothing resembling what he's programmed to know. No jungle, no trees, no rain, no clay lick, no flock, no flying, no mate, no nest, no chicks. He's superbly tuned to do things that don't exist in our house. No wonder he's agitated and confused, poor guy. It's beyond tragic. Again, thanks to all of Team Gus for reaching out to him.
Destino will never fly either. One of the joints in his left wing has an injury and he will never be able to extend his wing enough to fly. Add to that he has a severe muscle injury to his right chest muscle, so even if with training the left wing would be able to fly, the right chest muscle would never be strong enough to fly.

Eventhough Destino will never fly, I still do the same "flight" training with him. Again we do the stupidest things for our pets, I put him on my hand and run around with my arm raised, so he can feel the air under his wings. He extends his wings as far as he can and he looks soo happy to be "flying".

Other than the psychological aspect of it, it also gets him to move his wings. I have always been told that their lung capacity is very much reliant in their wing movement. It also gets his pulse up which can only be a good thing for his overall health. I DO know that I look absolutely ridiculous running around with my birds on my hand, but it really helps them.

When I got Sugar he could not fly at all. I was told by everybody, that I could not teach an adult macaw to fly. It has taken a LOT of work, but today he flies every day

Below a photo of Sugar taken by a proff photographer for the national railways monthly magazine.

Last edited by SilleIN; 11-16-2016 at 08:38 AM.
Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to SilleIN For This Useful Post:
Kentuckienne Vendor (11-16-2016)
Reply

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Parrot Forum - Parrot Owner's Community > Species Specific > Macaws

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
free fligh blue and gold lebachu Free Flight 2 04-20-2016 06:02 AM
blue and gold steven2008 Questions and Answers 1 01-03-2015 08:02 AM
My New Blue & Gold rsaskey Macaws 48 05-12-2014 03:27 PM
New Blue and Gold collie Macaws 16 10-17-2011 08:15 AM
Getting a Blue and Gold devin_09 Macaws 4 09-30-2010 12:30 AM



Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2021, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.