Parrot Forum Header Left  
Go Back   Parrot Forum - Parrot Owner's Community > Species Specific > Macaws

Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
  #21 (permalink)  
Old 12-05-2016, 08:30 PM
SilleIN's Avatar
Senior Member
Parrots:
Sugar & Honey- B&G macaws, Destino & Trudi- Scarlet macaws, Monet- Rainbow lorikeet, Sofus- Eclectus, Jacob- Military macaw, Yin & Yang- Illiger's macaws
Join Date: Aug 2016
Location: Denmark
Thanks: 92
Thanked 294 Times in 176 Posts
SilleIN is on a distinguished road
Re: The Saga of Romeo

Sponsored Links
Quote: Originally Posted by JBassset View Post
Romeo really likes paper. REALLY!

(It's a good thing I work for a university and can snag student papers for free!)

VID 20161204 175748 - YouTube
What a great video. It reminds me of one day my sister and I were outside. When we got back in, I couldn't find Sugar (B&G). We eventually found him in my sisters room eating her homework "Sorry teacher, but my parrot ate my homework!"
Reply With Quote
  #22 (permalink)  
Old 12-05-2016, 08:37 PM
SilleIN's Avatar
Senior Member
Parrots:
Sugar & Honey- B&G macaws, Destino & Trudi- Scarlet macaws, Monet- Rainbow lorikeet, Sofus- Eclectus, Jacob- Military macaw, Yin & Yang- Illiger's macaws
Join Date: Aug 2016
Location: Denmark
Thanks: 92
Thanked 294 Times in 176 Posts
SilleIN is on a distinguished road
Re: The Saga of Romeo

Quote: Originally Posted by JBassset View Post
An update after the vet trip. He's a little bit overweight which comes as no surprise given his previous diet. Stool sample is clean so nothing to worry about there.

He greated everyone when we walked in with tons of hi and giggles. Big hit there.

The beak... Oh the beak. We had to sedate him to trim it. She felt that his upper beak was ok, just needed shaped. His previous owner just took dog nail clippers and snapped it straight. But his lower beak was a wreck. We took a bit over a quarter of an inch off! He still can't totally close his mouth but she felt anymore might be as harmful as beneficial. Nuts, foraging toys etc. Will do the rest.

Afterwards as he was still doped up he was so super cuddly. It was really sweet until he threw up all down my shirt. Bird puke is nasty! But we had some good bonding time last night.

He's also got sores on his feet from having only a 1inch pvc pipe as a perch. Now he's got sand perches, cement and his main one is a nice fat Manzanita wood perch.

Today his beak seems a bit sore so he's not eating. But I just made a bunch of juice in the juicer and offered him the pulp which he took to. (hey, easy chop... Sorta) So soft foods, real chop and the like for a bit.

Long and short, he's mostly healthy, good skin, no cough, good lungs and heart sounds and they labeled him as a very sweet bird.

Thanks for all the advice! He also rides in the car super well on e he escapes from his crate.
Great that he is healthy and not coughing I am sure this gives you peace of mind to know he is healthy.

I can highly recomment giving hazelnuts in their shell to help them maintain their beak. They tend to pick up the shell afterwards and grind the shell on their beak to maintain it.

And I sometimes give my macaws human baby food. They really love it and get it as a treat, but if Romeo is sore, baby food could be an option aswell
Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to SilleIN For This Useful Post:
Cas27 (08-04-2017), Kentuckienne Vendor (12-05-2016)
  #23 (permalink)  
Old 12-06-2016, 11:11 AM
JBassset's Avatar
Supporting Member
Parrots:
3 year old GC Conure 13 year old B&G Macaw
Join Date: Oct 2016
Location: Boise
Thanks: 90
Thanked 208 Times in 111 Posts
JBassset is on a distinguished road
Re: The Saga of Romeo

Quote: Originally Posted by SilleIN View Post

Great that he is healthy and not coughing I am sure this gives you peace of mind to know he is healthy.

I can highly recomment giving hazelnuts in their shell to help them maintain their beak. They tend to pick up the shell afterwards and grind the shell on their beak to maintain it.

And I sometimes give my macaws human baby food. They really love it and get it as a treat, but if Romeo is sore, baby food could be an option aswell
Glad you said that about Hazelnuts. The grocer had a bag of mixed nuts in shells they're selling for the holidays. (Why raw, in the shell nuts are a holiday thing I dunno... nobody eats them!) It's got hazelnuts in it. He wasn't sure what they were so I had to crack one. He picked up the shell and "gnawed" on it so I see what you're saying!

His beak seems to not be bugging him. He spent a day or two investigating it. Clearly he knew it was different but now seems to be OK with it.

Our biggest challenge is the change in diet. He just doesn't like to eat the new foods! But since I just refuse to feed him the crap he's used to he's adjusting. He complained of being hungry (it's actually a phrase he knows) and I'd offer him healthy options. He'd refuse but the hunger seems to be enough that he's now willingly eating much of it.

To be clear, I wouldn't let him go absolutely hungry. I'd just offer the healthiest stuff, then give him a peanut in the shell. Then I'd show him that I was hiding more peanuts under all the other food. I'd pretend to eat the good food and not want to share it. Between my acting (good thing birds aren't critics) and making him dig through he's started exploring his other options.

Today he wanted more out of the cage time before work but I didn't have it to offer. So I offered him news paper in his cage to play with. He tore into it with gusto but it was angry tearing. More of a "F this. And F that and this and that too!"

But hey, he can be angry and cranky. He's allowed. And if annihilating paper makes him feel better that's cool too!
Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to JBassset For This Useful Post:
Cas27 (08-04-2017)
  #24 (permalink)  
Old 12-13-2016, 03:18 PM
JBassset's Avatar
Supporting Member
Parrots:
3 year old GC Conure 13 year old B&G Macaw
Join Date: Oct 2016
Location: Boise
Thanks: 90
Thanked 208 Times in 111 Posts
JBassset is on a distinguished road
Re: The Saga of Romeo

When I picked up Romeo I was told he had a language issue. First, he uses the wrong words sometimes, and second, that he learned one bad work: Mother F#*&er.

Well, he does say "Romie go night night" when he's hungry so that bit was right.

But as far as the dirty words... 1 might have been a little bit of an under estimation.

I told him it was time for bed one morning and he screamed "YOU BUTT F&*#" at me.

Last night after a particularly raucous screaming session I asked him if he was done and told him to be quiet. I got that one I look, he turned away and quietly told me to "F*&# off."

"Kiss my a^* is another I've heard."

I'll be honest, I don't mind the swearing at all. As a single dude with no kids it doesn't bug me. It actually makes me laugh.

What kills me though is that he's got the nuance down. The muttering and telling me off last night was priceless. He doesn't just randomly swear. He only does it when you've irritated him. And he does it WELL.

I know ultimately I shouldn't encourage it but it does crack me up with this gorgeous and spirited bird drops the F bomb in an eloquent and fitting way.

What makes me sad is when he tells himself that he's a bad f'ing bird or things like that. He'll hang his head and look dejected and if you go to pet him he flinches. Mostly I do ignore it when he says negative things to himself. I don't want to teach him those are ways to get attention. But the flinching... that burns me up.

But I usually wait a bit for him to perk back up, then offer to let him "read the news" and away we go with some shredding fun!

Anyway, Romeo is doing well... having a hard time getting him to eat healthy food and he's lost weight but he's being exposed to all sorts of things. I even made chop the other day. It was actually so good I decided to eat some myself. That got him into it for a bit so... progress!
Reply With Quote
  #25 (permalink)  
Old 12-13-2016, 04:02 PM
SilleIN's Avatar
Senior Member
Parrots:
Sugar & Honey- B&G macaws, Destino & Trudi- Scarlet macaws, Monet- Rainbow lorikeet, Sofus- Eclectus, Jacob- Military macaw, Yin & Yang- Illiger's macaws
Join Date: Aug 2016
Location: Denmark
Thanks: 92
Thanked 294 Times in 176 Posts
SilleIN is on a distinguished road
Re: The Saga of Romeo

Quote: Originally Posted by JBassset View Post
When I picked up Romeo I was told he had a language issue. First, he uses the wrong words sometimes, and second, that he learned one bad work: Mother F#*&er.

Well, he does say "Romie go night night" when he's hungry so that bit was right.

But as far as the dirty words... 1 might have been a little bit of an under estimation.

I told him it was time for bed one morning and he screamed "YOU BUTT F&*#" at me.

Last night after a particularly raucous screaming session I asked him if he was done and told him to be quiet. I got that one I look, he turned away and quietly told me to "F*&# off."

"Kiss my a^* is another I've heard."

I'll be honest, I don't mind the swearing at all. As a single dude with no kids it doesn't bug me. It actually makes me laugh.

What kills me though is that he's got the nuance down. The muttering and telling me off last night was priceless. He doesn't just randomly swear. He only does it when you've irritated him. And he does it WELL.

I know ultimately I shouldn't encourage it but it does crack me up with this gorgeous and spirited bird drops the F bomb in an eloquent and fitting way.

What makes me sad is when he tells himself that he's a bad f'ing bird or things like that. He'll hang his head and look dejected and if you go to pet him he flinches. Mostly I do ignore it when he says negative things to himself. I don't want to teach him those are ways to get attention. But the flinching... that burns me up.

But I usually wait a bit for him to perk back up, then offer to let him "read the news" and away we go with some shredding fun!

Anyway, Romeo is doing well... having a hard time getting him to eat healthy food and he's lost weight but he's being exposed to all sorts of things. I even made chop the other day. It was actually so good I decided to eat some myself. That got him into it for a bit so... progress!
I am glad he is improving

When I got Sugar, I also did a 180 on his food. He ended up loosing a lot of weight as I wasn't good enough to regularly weigh him. I had to put him back on a 50% seed diet to gain weight back again and then slowly get him onto a pelleted and fresh diet again.

I don't want to tell you what to do, but I would watch out for his weight loss.
Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to SilleIN For This Useful Post:
JBassset Supporting Member (12-13-2016)
  #26 (permalink)  
Old 12-13-2016, 04:13 PM
JBassset's Avatar
Supporting Member
Parrots:
3 year old GC Conure 13 year old B&G Macaw
Join Date: Oct 2016
Location: Boise
Thanks: 90
Thanked 208 Times in 111 Posts
JBassset is on a distinguished road
Re: The Saga of Romeo

Quote: Originally Posted by SilleIN View Post
Quote: Originally Posted by JBassset View Post
When I picked up Romeo I was told he had a language issue. First, he uses the wrong words sometimes, and second, that he learned one bad work: Mother F#*&er.

Well, he does say "Romie go night night" when he's hungry so that bit was right.

But as far as the dirty words... 1 might have been a little bit of an under estimation.

I told him it was time for bed one morning and he screamed "YOU BUTT F&*#" at me.

Last night after a particularly raucous screaming session I asked him if he was done and told him to be quiet. I got that one I look, he turned away and quietly told me to "F*&# off."

"Kiss my a^* is another I've heard."

I'll be honest, I don't mind the swearing at all. As a single dude with no kids it doesn't bug me. It actually makes me laugh.

What kills me though is that he's got the nuance down. The muttering and telling me off last night was priceless. He doesn't just randomly swear. He only does it when you've irritated him. And he does it WELL.

I know ultimately I shouldn't encourage it but it does crack me up with this gorgeous and spirited bird drops the F bomb in an eloquent and fitting way.

What makes me sad is when he tells himself that he's a bad f'ing bird or things like that. He'll hang his head and look dejected and if you go to pet him he flinches. Mostly I do ignore it when he says negative things to himself. I don't want to teach him those are ways to get attention. But the flinching... that burns me up.

But I usually wait a bit for him to perk back up, then offer to let him "read the news" and away we go with some shredding fun!

Anyway, Romeo is doing well... having a hard time getting him to eat healthy food and he's lost weight but he's being exposed to all sorts of things. I even made chop the other day. It was actually so good I decided to eat some myself. That got him into it for a bit so... progress!
I am glad he is improving

When I got Sugar, I also did a 180 on his food. He ended up loosing a lot of weight as I wasn't good enough to regularly weigh him. I had to put him back on a 50% seed diet to gain weight back again and then slowly get him onto a pelleted and fresh diet again.

I don't want to tell you what to do, but I would watch out for his weight loss.
Yeah, he's back on a mix of his crappy food and the healthy stuff. Not ideal but I figure it's better than just eating junk entirely. At least this way he gets SOME good foods.

We'll hit the parrot store later this week and try a few other foods. He's picky it seems.
Reply With Quote
  #27 (permalink)  
Old 12-19-2016, 09:45 AM
JBassset's Avatar
Supporting Member
Parrots:
3 year old GC Conure 13 year old B&G Macaw
Join Date: Oct 2016
Location: Boise
Thanks: 90
Thanked 208 Times in 111 Posts
JBassset is on a distinguished road
Re: The Saga of Romeo

A FUN update!

This weekend my friend and I took Romeo out for his first major outing.

She came over and picked us up and we drove across town to the parrot store (about 30 minutes). He loves riding in the car. He climbed into the back of her station wagon and found a nice perch so he could look out the windows.

We started with the parrot store (it actually caters to parrots of all kinds) because if he had a bad reaction they'd get it. (They have 8 large birds that are shop pets so noise isn't an issue) He had a great time!

From there we ran to Home Depot to get stuff to make a play stand and training perches for him and Stephen. Between figuring out all the parts and talking to people about him we were there for just a bit too long. He LOVED riding in the cart and talking to people. But towards the end he got a bit snippy and took a chuck of my thumb when I moved too fast. We'd reached his limit.

We brought him home were he sat on his newly renovated play stand (I bought a new rod for the perch since he ate the last one.) He kind of dozed a bit and then asked to go to bed.

In his cage in the other room he sat mumbling to himself and would then giggle. He's got about 6 different laughs and used all except the "I know that was naughty but I think it's funny" laugh. For about an hour he talked to himself and just laughed and laughed. I just sat with the TV off and listened... such a sweet sound!

I would say, in all, it was a great day for him. He seemed to really enjoy being out and seeing new people and Home Depot was very welcoming of him.

We're moving forward!

The only real downside to the day was that I totally forgot to take any pictures of the adventure! (BAD DAD BAD BAD BAD DAD!)
Reply With Quote
  #28 (permalink)  
Old 12-19-2016, 03:40 PM
SilleIN's Avatar
Senior Member
Parrots:
Sugar & Honey- B&G macaws, Destino & Trudi- Scarlet macaws, Monet- Rainbow lorikeet, Sofus- Eclectus, Jacob- Military macaw, Yin & Yang- Illiger's macaws
Join Date: Aug 2016
Location: Denmark
Thanks: 92
Thanked 294 Times in 176 Posts
SilleIN is on a distinguished road
Re: The Saga of Romeo

Quote: Originally Posted by JBassset View Post
A FUN update!

This weekend my friend and I took Romeo out for his first major outing.

She came over and picked us up and we drove across town to the parrot store (about 30 minutes). He loves riding in the car. He climbed into the back of her station wagon and found a nice perch so he could look out the windows.

We started with the parrot store (it actually caters to parrots of all kinds) because if he had a bad reaction they'd get it. (They have 8 large birds that are shop pets so noise isn't an issue) He had a great time!

From there we ran to Home Depot to get stuff to make a play stand and training perches for him and Stephen. Between figuring out all the parts and talking to people about him we were there for just a bit too long. He LOVED riding in the cart and talking to people. But towards the end he got a bit snippy and took a chuck of my thumb when I moved too fast. We'd reached his limit.

We brought him home were he sat on his newly renovated play stand (I bought a new rod for the perch since he ate the last one.) He kind of dozed a bit and then asked to go to bed.

In his cage in the other room he sat mumbling to himself and would then giggle. He's got about 6 different laughs and used all except the "I know that was naughty but I think it's funny" laugh. For about an hour he talked to himself and just laughed and laughed. I just sat with the TV off and listened... such a sweet sound!

I would say, in all, it was a great day for him. He seemed to really enjoy being out and seeing new people and Home Depot was very welcoming of him.

We're moving forward!

The only real downside to the day was that I totally forgot to take any pictures of the adventure! (BAD DAD BAD BAD BAD DAD!)
Ohh I am SO happy to hear it went well and glad to hear he really enjoyed himself. I don't know a macaw, that doesn't like to see the world. I don't know what it is, but you can tell, it eases their mind like nothing else
Reply With Quote
  #29 (permalink)  
Old 12-19-2016, 04:09 PM
JBassset's Avatar
Supporting Member
Parrots:
3 year old GC Conure 13 year old B&G Macaw
Join Date: Oct 2016
Location: Boise
Thanks: 90
Thanked 208 Times in 111 Posts
JBassset is on a distinguished road
Re: The Saga of Romeo

I'm just curious about the giggling. I get it when he says HI to people and they laugh. But what is it when he's in his cage muttering to himself.

I want to personify him and say he's reliving the joy of the day or telling himself stories and that the laughs are genuine laughs... but are they? I KNOW they're happy noises certainly... but it's comforting to think they're actual laughs and giggles and that he's just that kind of happy!
Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to JBassset For This Useful Post:
Cas27 (08-04-2017)
  #30 (permalink)  
Old 12-19-2016, 06:00 PM
SilleIN's Avatar
Senior Member
Parrots:
Sugar & Honey- B&G macaws, Destino & Trudi- Scarlet macaws, Monet- Rainbow lorikeet, Sofus- Eclectus, Jacob- Military macaw, Yin & Yang- Illiger's macaws
Join Date: Aug 2016
Location: Denmark
Thanks: 92
Thanked 294 Times in 176 Posts
SilleIN is on a distinguished road
Re: The Saga of Romeo

Quote: Originally Posted by JBassset View Post
I'm just curious about the giggling. I get it when he says HI to people and they laugh. But what is it when he's in his cage muttering to himself.

I want to personify him and say he's reliving the joy of the day or telling himself stories and that the laughs are genuine laughs... but are they? I KNOW they're happy noises certainly... but it's comforting to think they're actual laughs and giggles and that he's just that kind of happy!
Hmm I would love to say, that the giggles are real, but I don't think so. However they are smart and they understand, that giggles are happy noises.

Sugar will talk for hours. It's funny, but they don't really talk if there's no one to hear them. My sister is the first to wake up each morning. Trudi, who sleeps in my bedroom, will fly into the living room. They will then start talking to get attention. Once my sister's gone there'll be quiet for about 2 hours until I wake up. When they hear my alarm clock, they start muttering (only Sugar says things you understand, but the others make their noises also), but nothing too loud. Once they hear my voice all hell breaks loose. They do their best to come with their loudest human voice to be the first to get their morning cuddles. Once that's done, they will be at their cages/playstands and they will mutter different stuff.

Most of that is to get attention. My take on the muttering is that they are part practicing and part to make themselves feel a more integrated part of the flock, which talks human. I also believe they tend to say things they know is connected to good things. For instance Sugar often says "good parrot" which is REALLY difficult in Danish. I think he associates the phrase with something good as with laughs. I think it makes him feel good.

I have no basis for any of this, just my personal observations of mine and my friends macaws (know quite a lot and see them regularly in our flight club)
Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to SilleIN For This Useful Post:
JBassset Supporting Member (12-20-2016)
Reply

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Parrot Forum - Parrot Owner's Community > Species Specific > Macaws
Remove Ads

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Twist in the plucking saga of Parker the Ekkie chris-md Eclectus 34 01-17-2016 07:11 PM
Romeo Aedinger New Members Welcome 3 01-14-2014 09:25 AM
Romeo Natalie.Romeo Lovebirds 5 07-26-2012 02:21 PM
Awful saga, HAPPY ending! mrob Budgies/Parakeets 9 09-08-2011 02:46 PM




Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Copyright ©2005 - 2009, Parrot Forums.com