Parrot Forum Header Left  
Go Back   Parrot Forum - Parrot Owner's Community > Community > Parrot Food, Recipes and Diet

Parrot Food, Recipes and Diet All discussions related to parrot food, recipes and diet.

Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
  #1 (permalink)  
Old 01-10-2017, 11:03 PM
JohnH's Avatar
Member
Parrots:
Sulphur crested cockatoo
Join Date: Dec 2016
Location: NY
Thanks: 22
Thanked 73 Times in 35 Posts
JohnH is on a distinguished road
Ingredients

Sponsored Links
Are there any ingredients listed below that would be harmful if consumed by an adult lesser sulphur crested cockatoo? I know there is a sticky with a list of ingredients but I just can't read it right now. Dealing with migraines for the past month. Head feels like it's going to explode. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Fish Meal, Ground Corn, Dehulled Soybean Meal, Wheat Flour, Corn Gluten Meal, Fish Oil, Wheat Germ Meal, Sun-cured Alfalfa Meal, Potassium Sulfate, DL-Methionine, L-Lysine, Propionic Acid (Preservative), L-Ascorbyl-2 Polyphosphate (Source of Vitamin C), Vitamin A Supplement, Choline Chloride, Vitamin E Supplement, Vitamin B12 Supplement, Riboflavin Supplement, Zinc Oxide, Ferrous Sulfate, Manganous Oxide, Menadione Sodium Bisulfite Complex (Source of Vitamin K activity), Niacin, Ethoxyquin (Preservative), Calcium Pantothenate, Copper Sulfate, Thiamine Mononitrate, Pyridoxine Hydrochloride, Cholecalciferol (Source of Vitamin D3), Cobalt Carbonate, Folic Acid, Calcium Iodate, Biotin, Sodium Selenite
Reply With Quote
  #2 (permalink)  
Old 01-11-2017, 07:27 AM
Supporting Member
Parrots:
DYH Amazon
Join Date: Jul 2015
Location: Western, Michigan
Thanks: 5,312
Thanked 5,363 Times in 2,896 Posts
SailBoat is on a distinguished road
Re: Ingredients

Quote: Originally Posted by JohnH View Post
Are there any ingredients listed below that would be harmful if consumed by an adult lesser sulphur crested cockatoo? I know there is a sticky with a list of ingredients but I just can't read it right now. Dealing with migraines for the past month. Head feels like it's going to explode. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Fish Meal, Ground Corn, Dehulled Soybean Meal, Wheat Flour, Corn Gluten Meal, Fish Oil, Wheat Germ Meal, Sun-cured Alfalfa Meal, Potassium Sulfate, DL-Methionine, L-Lysine, Propionic Acid (Preservative), L-Ascorbyl-2 Polyphosphate (Source of Vitamin C), Vitamin A Supplement, Choline Chloride, Vitamin E Supplement, Vitamin B12 Supplement, Riboflavin Supplement, Zinc Oxide, Ferrous Sulfate, Manganous Oxide, Menadione Sodium Bisulfite Complex (Source of Vitamin K activity), Niacin, Ethoxyquin (Preservative), Calcium Pantothenate, Copper Sulfate, Thiamine Mononitrate, Pyridoxine Hydrochloride, Cholecalciferol (Source of Vitamin D3), Cobalt Carbonate, Folic Acid, Calcium Iodate, Biotin, Sodium Selenite
John,

It would have been nice to have provided the finial product and brand name that the above ingredients make up. As with most ground and pelletized, complex dry products it is commonly the percentages that define the finial application i.e.: Dogs, Cats, Horses, Parrots, etc, etc, etc... Like most, general application feeds, the salt based ingredients are on the higher side, but once again, it comes down to percentages.

Sorry, about your migraines! I am assuming that your medications are not helping. Hope that they will relent soon.
Reply With Quote
  #3 (permalink)  
Old 01-11-2017, 10:09 AM
JohnH's Avatar
Member
Parrots:
Sulphur crested cockatoo
Join Date: Dec 2016
Location: NY
Thanks: 22
Thanked 73 Times in 35 Posts
JohnH is on a distinguished road
Re: Ingredients

Hi sailboat. Thanks for your reply. These ingredients are from koi/goldfish food made by kaytee. My bird got a hold of a few pellets while I was doing some maintenance on my pond. She gobbled them up before I realized what she was doing. I was concerned that there may be something in there that may be harmful to her. Coincidentally later that day I found a medium sized pellet in the kaytee bag. It looked very similar to the pellets I feed my bird. Below are the percentages listed on kaytees website.

Crude Protein (min.) 35.0%
Crude Fat (min.) 5.0%
Crude Fiber (max.) 4.0%
Moisture (max.) 12.0%
Ash (max.) 10.0%
Phosphorus (min.) 0.8%
Reply With Quote
  #4 (permalink)  
Old 01-11-2017, 03:32 PM
Supporting Member
Parrots:
DYH Amazon
Join Date: Jul 2015
Location: Western, Michigan
Thanks: 5,312
Thanked 5,363 Times in 2,896 Posts
SailBoat is on a distinguished road
Re: Ingredients

Quote: Originally Posted by JohnH View Post
Hi sailboat. Thanks for your reply. These ingredients are from koi/goldfish food made by kaytee. My bird got a hold of a few pellets while I was doing some maintenance on my pond. She gobbled them up before I realized what she was doing. I was concerned that there may be something in there that may be harmful to her. Coincidentally later that day I found a medium sized pellet in the kaytee bag. It looked very similar to the pellets I feed my bird. Below are the percentages listed on kaytees website.

Crude Protein (min.) 35.0%
Crude Fat (min.) 5.0%
Crude Fiber (max.) 4.0%
Moisture (max.) 12.0%
Ash (max.) 10.0%
Phosphorus (min.) 0.8%
Quite the scare!

First, your Parrot not going to have any short or long term effects with just the one 'limited' exposure. The concern for Parrots is the high level of Crude Protein if feed as part of a normal on going diet.

It is not uncommon for different size pellets to carry-over from the same run (formulation), since near all pellets are provided in difference sizes. After a full run of that formulation, the equipment is fully cleaned prior to switching formulations. The random pellet of a different size is rare, but happens.

To my understanding KayTee runs their pellets in a Human Grade Processing Facility, which as part of that facilities' Certification requires full equipment cleaning between formulation runs!
Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to SailBoat For This Useful Post:
Flboy (01-11-2017), JohnH (01-11-2017)
  #5 (permalink)  
Old 01-11-2017, 04:08 PM
JohnH's Avatar
Member
Parrots:
Sulphur crested cockatoo
Join Date: Dec 2016
Location: NY
Thanks: 22
Thanked 73 Times in 35 Posts
JohnH is on a distinguished road
Re: Ingredients

That's a relief. Thanks for your help.
Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to JohnH For This Useful Post:
SailBoat Supporting Member (01-11-2017)
  #6 (permalink)  
Old 01-11-2017, 04:32 PM
GaleriaGila's Avatar
Supporting Member
Parrots:
33-year-old Patagonian Conure
Join Date: May 2016
Location: Cleveland area
Thanks: 2,437
Thanked 6,724 Times in 3,274 Posts
GaleriaGila is on a distinguished road
Re: Ingredients

Well, I'm a big fan of Harrison's. I don't miss an opportunity to praise them. My first avian vet and current vet recommend them, and everything I know about them strengthens my reliance on them. They haved been the Rb's staple for about 30 years, supplemented liberally by fresh stuff.
__________________
The Rickeybird - 33 year old Patagonian Conure
The Scrapbook. 1984-?. http://www.parrotforums.com/incredib...4-updates.html
The Star. Cinema verite! https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCyC...22fVRRwfLk9gwA
The Artist. He chews holes -uh- designs - in cloth. I sell them in my eBay Gallery.
The Pet of the Day. Suggest one!http://petoftheday.com/archive/2016/May/20.html
Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to GaleriaGila For This Useful Post:
JohnH (01-11-2017)
  #7 (permalink)  
Old 01-11-2017, 07:51 PM
JohnH's Avatar
Member
Parrots:
Sulphur crested cockatoo
Join Date: Dec 2016
Location: NY
Thanks: 22
Thanked 73 Times in 35 Posts
JohnH is on a distinguished road
Re: Ingredients

Quote: Originally Posted by GaleriaGila View Post
Well, I'm a big fan of Harrison's. I don't miss an opportunity to praise them. My first avian vet and current vet recommend them, and everything I know about them strengthens my reliance on them. They haved been the Rb's staple for about 30 years, supplemented liberally by fresh stuff.
Thanks for the tip. I will look for that brand when it's time to replenish her supply. This bird spent an estimated 17 years in a basement apartment. Nobody knows what it was fed. It went at least a week with no food or water until the elderly parents of the deceased owner remembered the bird was there. They picked up a bag of nut/seed mix and started feeding her. For the past month I've had her I have been mixing zupreem pellets with the seed mix that I got from the previous owners parents. Also trying a variety of fresh fruits and veggies with almost no success except for fresh green beans. She has taken several of them. I have a long way to go. The poor thing has hardly any feathers and cannot fly at all. It is a plucker, biter and screamer.
Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to JohnH For This Useful Post:
happy410 Supporting Member (01-11-2017), SailBoat Supporting Member (01-11-2017)
  #8 (permalink)  
Old 01-11-2017, 10:00 PM
happy410's Avatar
Supporting Member
Parrots:
Happy, DYH Amazon Tesla, Blue & Gold Macaw
Join Date: Jul 2015
Location: ALABAMA
Thanks: 374
Thanked 365 Times in 207 Posts
happy410 is on a distinguished road
Re: Ingredients

How sad, I'm glad you've given her a home.
__________________
Reply With Quote
Reply

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Parrot Forum - Parrot Owner's Community > Community > Parrot Food, Recipes and Diet
Remove Ads

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Ingredients in your pellets? SilleIN General Health Care 11 12-23-2016 07:00 PM
Ingredients to pellets Featheredsamurai Parrot Food, Recipes and Diet 72 07-18-2016 11:40 AM
Can someone help me with these ingredients? Ann333 Parrot Food, Recipes and Diet 4 01-25-2016 10:33 PM
Pellet ingredients QuackQuack Questions and Answers 6 10-25-2011 09:01 AM




Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Copyright ©2005 - 2009, Parrot Forums.com