Parrot Forum Header Left  
Go Back   Parrot Forum - Parrot Owner's Community > Community > Parrot Food, Recipes and Diet

Parrot Food, Recipes and Diet All discussions related to parrot food, recipes and diet.

Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
  #1 (permalink)  
Old 07-04-2020, 04:14 AM
Member
Parrots:
Climber (Breed: GCC, Joined: 21/6/2020, Birthday: 21/1/2020), Pineapple GCC (Joined: 22/6/2020, Birthday: 22/3/2020, Left: 2/7/2020 [Flew away]), Violet-pied Lovebird (Joined: 11/7/2020, Birthday: ?)
Join Date: Apr 2020
Location: Singapore
Thanks: 101
Thanked 62 Times in 44 Posts
Calorious is on a distinguished road
What can my GCC eat other than seeds, pellets?

My parrot has been eating mostly a mixture of seeds and pellets + fruits.
Is this all a parrot eats?
I could just search it up on Google but I would really prefer ideas from the community so that there are people that have experimented with what a parrot could actually eat.
I can really feel that my parrot wants something new to eat other than just his mixture of seeds.
Anything else I could possibly feed him that is somewhat healthy or could be unhealthy but edible and not toxic?
I could settle for something like tortilla chips for something unhealthy because my parrot has been eating nothing but seeds and fruits ever since it came into my family.

I know tortilla chips that has no other flavor other than salt is unhealthy to the parrot but I could accept my parrot having this once in a while.
Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Calorious For This Useful Post:
1oldparroter (07-04-2020)
  #2 (permalink)  
Old 07-04-2020, 04:57 AM
1oldparroter's Avatar
Senior Member
Parrots:
I am 71 and been studying parrots, am on a limited income, can't afford to buy but will rescue. Had preferences, but will let the good lord provide best match. jh
Join Date: Nov 2019
Location: Waiteville, WV
Thanks: 1,539
Thanked 372 Times in 174 Posts
1oldparroter is on a distinguished road
Re: What can my GCC eat other than seeds, pellets?

Check out these two links of article in the forums past AND google GCC diet. jh
Bird Safe Fresh Foods & Toxic Food Lists + Sprouts
GCC diet
Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to 1oldparroter For This Useful Post:
Calorious (07-04-2020)
  #3 (permalink)  
Old 07-04-2020, 09:10 AM
Senior Member
Parrots:
Umbrella Cockatoo- 13 years old
Join Date: Jul 2018
Thanks: 6,268
Thanked 11,789 Times in 4,845 Posts
noodles123 will become famous soon enough
Re: What can my GCC eat other than seeds, pellets?

Stick with more veg than fruit...too much fruit can lead to obesity and behavior issues due to all of the natural sugars. Your bird can have fruit, but keep in mind that a whole grape to a bird would be like 300 grapes to a human....
A tiny tiny bit of a tortilla chip once in a while as a treat can be okay, but salt can be toxic to them, and chips also contain preservatives, so extreme moderation is key.

Things they shouldn't have/toxic:
avocado, rhubarb, onion, garlic, chives, leeks, shallots, honey, mushrooms, apple seeds, mango SKIN or pit, fruit pits, artificial sweeteners, caffeine, alcohol, coffee (no regular no decaf), tomato leaves/stems, raw beans, dry beans (also avoid canned beans due to sodium and preservatives), *CERTAIN BEANS---EVEN WHEN COOKED---are still toxic!*, chocolate, raw potatoes, black walnuts, Peanuts (contain aflatoxins and can harbor aspergillus---I know they are in lots of cheap mixes, but they are not good)...oh technically, Chinese cinnamon too

To be avoided but not necessarily toxic: dairy (they are lactose intolerant---but a teeny tiny bit as a treat is not going to kill them.

Sugars and salt should not be added to their foods. If they have a teeny tiny bit on something as a treat that is okay, but you don't want them to be eating this stuff regularly.

Tomato (if given) should be in EXTREME moderation and without any stems/leaves (toxic)--I don't give mine tomato really... They are very acidic and can cause issues if too much is given. Citrus fruit should also be given in extreme moderation, as too much vitamin c can cause iron storage disease.


Celery and snap peas can be too stringy and cause blockages, so you need to be careful with stringy vegetables. Nuts in shells can cause blockages if your bird eats the shell...so be very careful.

High fat foods should be given in moderation--- this includes seeds. Too much fat or too many calories can lead to fatty liver disease and other issues.

Certain vegetables should be cooked before giving them to your bird---also, certain really starchy vegetables (like corn) should be reserved for treats as they don't have a ton of nutritional value.

Certain seasonings can be poisonous in higher amounts--there haven't been a lot of studies, so it's best to avoid things like nutmeg, cloves etc...
In terms of cinnamon-- there are 2 types and one is not safe, while the other is. Chinese cinnamon should be avoided (not safe--it contains a blood thinner), Ceylon cinnamon is okay.


You can try looking up "chop" recipes online--- these are basically mixtures of chopped veg (cooked and sometimes raw) usually mixed with a grain like rice, quinoa, potato etc.

Last edited by noodles123; 07-04-2020 at 09:21 AM.
Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to noodles123 For This Useful Post:
1oldparroter (07-10-2020), Calorious (07-04-2020)
  #4 (permalink)  
Old 07-04-2020, 12:03 PM
Member
Parrots:
Climber (Breed: GCC, Joined: 21/6/2020, Birthday: 21/1/2020), Pineapple GCC (Joined: 22/6/2020, Birthday: 22/3/2020, Left: 2/7/2020 [Flew away]), Violet-pied Lovebird (Joined: 11/7/2020, Birthday: ?)
Join Date: Apr 2020
Location: Singapore
Thanks: 101
Thanked 62 Times in 44 Posts
Calorious is on a distinguished road
Re: What can my GCC eat other than seeds, pellets?

Quote: Originally Posted by noodles123 View Post
Stick with more veg than fruit...too much fruit can lead to obesity and behavior issues due to all of the natural sugars. Your bird can have fruit, but keep in mind that a whole grape to a bird would be like 300 grapes to a human....
A tiny tiny bit of a tortilla chip once in a while as a treat can be okay, but salt can be toxic to them, and chips also contain preservatives, so extreme moderation is key.

Things they shouldn't have/toxic:
avocado, rhubarb, onion, garlic, chives, leeks, shallots, honey, mushrooms, apple seeds, mango SKIN or pit, fruit pits, artificial sweeteners, caffeine, alcohol, coffee (no regular no decaf), tomato leaves/stems, raw beans, dry beans (also avoid canned beans due to sodium and preservatives), *CERTAIN BEANS---EVEN WHEN COOKED---are still toxic!*, chocolate, raw potatoes, black walnuts, Peanuts (contain aflatoxins and can harbor aspergillus---I know they are in lots of cheap mixes, but they are not good)...oh technically, Chinese cinnamon too

To be avoided but not necessarily toxic: dairy (they are lactose intolerant---but a teeny tiny bit as a treat is not going to kill them.

Sugars and salt should not be added to their foods. If they have a teeny tiny bit on something as a treat that is okay, but you don't want them to be eating this stuff regularly.

Tomato (if given) should be in EXTREME moderation and without any stems/leaves (toxic)--I don't give mine tomato really... They are very acidic and can cause issues if too much is given. Citrus fruit should also be given in extreme moderation, as too much vitamin c can cause iron storage disease.


Celery and snap peas can be too stringy and cause blockages, so you need to be careful with stringy vegetables. Nuts in shells can cause blockages if your bird eats the shell...so be very careful.

High fat foods should be given in moderation--- this includes seeds. Too much fat or too many calories can lead to fatty liver disease and other issues.

Certain vegetables should be cooked before giving them to your bird---also, certain really starchy vegetables (like corn) should be reserved for treats as they don't have a ton of nutritional value.

Certain seasonings can be poisonous in higher amounts--there haven't been a lot of studies, so it's best to avoid things like nutmeg, cloves etc...
In terms of cinnamon-- there are 2 types and one is not safe, while the other is. Chinese cinnamon should be avoided (not safe--it contains a blood thinner), Ceylon cinnamon is okay.


You can try looking up "chop" recipes online--- these are basically mixtures of chopped veg (cooked and sometimes raw) usually mixed with a grain like rice, quinoa, potato etc.
Thank you both of you. However, my parrot is currently 5 - 7 months old. Is his diet going to change as he grows? (Will he demand more food? Can he eat larger portions of something without getting ill?)

My parrot's mouth is not really that big, when you are saying teeny tiny bit, is it something like his largest bite? Is that the tiny bit? Or do I give him like 1/3 of how much his mouth can hold?
Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Calorious For This Useful Post:
1oldparroter (07-10-2020)
  #5 (permalink)  
Old 07-04-2020, 01:01 PM
Senior Member
Parrots:
Umbrella Cockatoo- 13 years old
Join Date: Jul 2018
Thanks: 6,268
Thanked 11,789 Times in 4,845 Posts
noodles123 will become famous soon enough
Re: What can my GCC eat other than seeds, pellets?

Try to start weighing him to track his weight. Is he weaned fully?

He will likely gain weight..Take him to a vet to see how he is doing developmentally and then use that as your baseline for comparison in the future...You can also look up average weights for your species online and then track yours to make sure it is steady or increasing.

When I say a tiny bit, try to compare it to their face--- a treat a bit larger than their eye can be okay...but it depends on what it is...I have a bird who weighs over a pound, and if she gets cheese, she LITERALLY gets a single thread of the thin shredded cheese (maybe once every 3 months)...A hot cheeto bit smaller than her eye, maybe once every week to 2 weeks. A half tangerine slice...once a week or so...

Last edited by noodles123; 07-04-2020 at 01:04 PM.
Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to noodles123 For This Useful Post:
1oldparroter (07-04-2020), Calorious (07-04-2020)
  #6 (permalink)  
Old 07-04-2020, 09:53 PM
Senior Member
Parrots:
Albino Cockatiel (Ghost) Crimson Bellied Conure (Echo) Yellow Sided Green Cheek Conure (Ari)(RIP) Pied Kakariki(Inca and Maya) Galah(Opal)
Join Date: May 2019
Location: Australia
Thanks: 201
Thanked 627 Times in 302 Posts
Talven is on a distinguished road
Re: What can my GCC eat other than seeds, pellets?

Fresh peppers are a favoured food with my birds. Capsicum and chilli are demolished very quickly. Silverbeet, spinach or kale are eaten but with a bit more decorum than the peppers. Really just read online articles and experiment with what your bird likes out of the safe list of foods. They each have their own preferences.
Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Talven For This Useful Post:
1oldparroter (07-05-2020), Calorious (07-04-2020), noodles123 (07-04-2020)
  #7 (permalink)  
Old 07-04-2020, 11:38 PM
Member
Parrots:
Climber (Breed: GCC, Joined: 21/6/2020, Birthday: 21/1/2020), Pineapple GCC (Joined: 22/6/2020, Birthday: 22/3/2020, Left: 2/7/2020 [Flew away]), Violet-pied Lovebird (Joined: 11/7/2020, Birthday: ?)
Join Date: Apr 2020
Location: Singapore
Thanks: 101
Thanked 62 Times in 44 Posts
Calorious is on a distinguished road
Re: What can my GCC eat other than seeds, pellets?

Quote: Originally Posted by noodles123 View Post
Try to start weighing him to track his weight. Is he weaned fully?

He will likely gain weight..Take him to a vet to see how he is doing developmentally and then use that as your baseline for comparison in the future...You can also look up average weights for your species online and then track yours to make sure it is steady or increasing.

When I say a tiny bit, try to compare it to their face--- a treat a bit larger than their eye can be okay...but it depends on what it is...I have a bird who weighs over a pound, and if she gets cheese, she LITERALLY gets a single thread of the thin shredded cheese (maybe once every 3 months)...A hot cheeto bit smaller than her eye, maybe once every week to 2 weeks. A half tangerine slice...once a week or so...
He is a fully weaned bird. He is able to eat on his own and also eat from my hand.
Thank you for the advice on his weight and follow-up on tiny bit.
However, with regards to what Talven said, are parrots able to eat peppers and spices? I'm afraid to feed my parrot any spicy things because I'm scared he may not be able to handle it.
Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Calorious For This Useful Post:
1oldparroter (07-05-2020), Talven (07-05-2020)
  #8 (permalink)  
Old 07-05-2020, 01:22 AM
1oldparroter's Avatar
Senior Member
Parrots:
I am 71 and been studying parrots, am on a limited income, can't afford to buy but will rescue. Had preferences, but will let the good lord provide best match. jh
Join Date: Nov 2019
Location: Waiteville, WV
Thanks: 1,539
Thanked 372 Times in 174 Posts
1oldparroter is on a distinguished road
Re: What can my GCC eat other than seeds, pellets?

Hot peppers are not a problem for birds. You really should search the forums and articles here, on Google and in Youtube.com as well. You'd be amazed at the that are similar for various species of bird. Birds like to eat veggies of different kinds; chopped. Different sized birds like the same things but chopped to a different size. Some things like a Sweet potatoe, they will prefere raw, steamed or boiled; they will also prefer it cut various ways. Yet another thing to sit and observe, huh? jh
Reply With Quote
  #9 (permalink)  
Old 07-05-2020, 02:06 AM
Senior Member
Parrots:
Albino Cockatiel (Ghost) Crimson Bellied Conure (Echo) Yellow Sided Green Cheek Conure (Ari)(RIP) Pied Kakariki(Inca and Maya) Galah(Opal)
Join Date: May 2019
Location: Australia
Thanks: 201
Thanked 627 Times in 302 Posts
Talven is on a distinguished road
Re: What can my GCC eat other than seeds, pellets?

Quote: Originally Posted by Calorious View Post
However, with regards to what Talven said, are parrots able to eat peppers and spices? I'm afraid to feed my parrot any spicy things because I'm scared he may not be able to handle it.
Unlike us humans parrots don't have the receptors for capsaicin and don't feel the heat from fresh chilli. Although I personally wouldn't give them the really hot hot peppers like say Carolina Reaper. Jalapenos or Habaneros would be fine though or just stick with capsicum which is not hot at all. You may find that your bird doesn't like them at all though. All you can do is offer as many different things as you can and see what they like.
Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Talven For This Useful Post:
1oldparroter (07-05-2020), Calorious (07-09-2020)
  #10 (permalink)  
Old 07-05-2020, 07:46 AM
Senior Member
Parrots:
Umbrella Cockatoo- 13 years old
Join Date: Jul 2018
Thanks: 6,268
Thanked 11,789 Times in 4,845 Posts
noodles123 will become famous soon enough
Re: What can my GCC eat other than seeds, pellets?

When you say spices, it depends..They can eat hot peppers (as stated above) but certain spices can be bad for them (for instance, garlic, nutmeg, chinese cinnamon etc...so you need to research spices before giving them)

Peppers=totally safe-Not sure about the leaves and stems though..would avoid those just in case, as it could vary by plant variety.
Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to noodles123 For This Useful Post:
1oldparroter (07-06-2020), Calorious (07-09-2020)
Reply

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Parrot Forum - Parrot Owner's Community > Community > Parrot Food, Recipes and Diet

Tags
conure, diet, food

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
GCC's seeds/pellets WVWild Conures 4 11-27-2019 12:11 PM
Sunflower seeds and seeds vs. pellets AfricanGreyEnthusiast Parrot Food, Recipes and Diet 12 12-04-2016 11:41 PM
Pellets~vs~Seeds Chelle Conures 30 08-17-2013 10:56 PM
From seeds to pellets and beyond...... critterman Congo & Timneh Greys 0 08-27-2011 02:11 PM
Pellets vs. Seeds Tylerswildphotos Amazons 31 03-30-2011 04:46 PM



Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2020, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.