Parrot Forum Header Left  
Go Back   Parrot Forum - Parrot Owner's Community > Community > Questions and Answers

Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
  #1 (permalink)  
Old 06-18-2010, 04:47 AM
Beilana's Avatar
Senior Member
Parrots:
Chia!!!! Cinnamon GCC
Join Date: Jun 2010
Location: Calgary, Ab, Canada
Thanks: 63
Thanked 115 Times in 89 Posts
Beilana is on a distinguished road
Clipped Wings

The green cheek conure I am adopting has his wings clipped. I just spent hours and hours learning about recall training and free flight. (yes I'm getting slightly ahead of myself but thats ok ) I've made the decision to let his wings grow back and give him back his gift of flight. Does anyone know approximately how long it will take for his flight feathers to grow back???
__________________
No matter skin, feathers, scales or fur. We are all living creatures and should be treated rightfully so.
R.I.P Hiroshi. You were so loved and will be missed.
Reply With Quote
  #2 (permalink)  
Old 06-18-2010, 05:06 AM
Senior Member
Join Date: Jun 2010
Location: South Australia
Images: 7
Thanks: 152
Thanked 128 Times in 103 Posts
Aussie Ben is on a distinguished road
Re: Clipped Wings

Back in the early days, I used to have Buddy's wings clipped. They grow back when the bird moults which I think is like every 6-12 months.

You could probably still start your recall training just on a table top, letting him walk to you. I think once he learns to fly this should translate over. The only problem i could see is that if he gets really good at walking he may rather walk than fly to you even when he is flighted.
__________________
All the best,
Ben



Rest in peace Buddy,
you will never be forgotten
Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Aussie Ben For This Useful Post:
Auggie's Dad  (06-18-2010)
  #3 (permalink)  
Old 06-18-2010, 05:20 AM
Beilana's Avatar
Senior Member
Parrots:
Chia!!!! Cinnamon GCC
Join Date: Jun 2010
Location: Calgary, Ab, Canada
Thanks: 63
Thanked 115 Times in 89 Posts
Beilana is on a distinguished road
Re: Clipped Wings

Quote: Originally Posted by Aussie Ben View Post
The only problem i could see is that if he gets really good at walking he may rather walk than fly to you even when he is flighted.
I guess thats a risk I'm willing to take. I think its a good plan, it would give him the idea to come to me when I call him and hopefully translate over when he is flighted.

I have just been reading about it and watching so many videos of birds who have flight(even if they dont go outside) and they seem more confident or something. It is just a personal view and opinion and I lay no judgment on anyone who has their birds wings clipped. (My conure who passed away had clipped wings and was a very happy little guy.)

With a fully flighted bird I'm going to have to re-decorate a little lol
__________________
No matter skin, feathers, scales or fur. We are all living creatures and should be treated rightfully so.
R.I.P Hiroshi. You were so loved and will be missed.
Reply With Quote
  #4 (permalink)  
Old 06-18-2010, 05:44 AM
Senior Member
Join Date: Jun 2010
Location: South Australia
Images: 7
Thanks: 152
Thanked 128 Times in 103 Posts
Aussie Ben is on a distinguished road
Re: Clipped Wings

Quote:
I guess thats a risk I'm willing to take. I think its a good plan, it would give him the idea to come to me when I call him and hopefully translate over when he is flighted.
I think it would only really be a problem if he had been clipped for years and never learnt how to fly.

Quote:
I have just been reading about it and watching so many videos of birds who have flight(even if they dont go outside) and they seem more confident or something. It is just a personal view and opinion and I lay no judgment on anyone who has their birds wings clipped. (My conure who passed away had clipped wings and was a very happy little guy.)
I believe its up to the carer to decide depending what is best for them and the bird, because every case is different and like you, I don't make judgment either way. I have said this before but both clipped and unclipped birds require different but equal responsibility. Although like you say, there is something special about a flighted bird.

Quote:
With a fully flighted bird I'm going to have to re-decorate a little lol
haha, yep you sure will. One thing to look out for which may seem obvious, but i overlooked is the gap behind cupboards. We have some inbuilt kitchen cupboards that finish about a foot from the roof. Eddie loves to walk around on these as they wrap right around the kitchen and he can follow you everywhere while your playing with his favourite toy...food lol. However, I did not realise and could not see the gap that was behind the section where the oven was (for ventilation) - until one day Eddie disappeared all of a sudden. My family had never seen me move so fast, I scaled the bench and cupboard like my life depended on it. Luckily Eddie grabbed on to a bead of timber about a foot down from the top of the gap, he was hanging by his beak and I could only just reach him. About 2 feet onwards was the timber that covered the oven so I would still have been able to get him out somehow, but it was a real eye opener to the dangers that you don't see - imagine if the oven had been on and he was stuck down there, even for a few minutes! and a GCC is a lot smaller than an ekkie so just something to look out for - i got a whole bunch of em.
__________________
All the best,
Ben



Rest in peace Buddy,
you will never be forgotten

Last edited by Aussie Ben; 06-18-2010 at 05:50 AM.
Reply With Quote
  #5 (permalink)  
Old 06-18-2010, 05:56 AM
Beilana's Avatar
Senior Member
Parrots:
Chia!!!! Cinnamon GCC
Join Date: Jun 2010
Location: Calgary, Ab, Canada
Thanks: 63
Thanked 115 Times in 89 Posts
Beilana is on a distinguished road
Re: Clipped Wings

Quote: Originally Posted by Aussie Ben View Post

haha, yep you sure will. One thing to look out for which may seem obvious, but i overlooked is the gap behind cupboards. We have some inbuilt kitchen cupboards that finish about a foot from the roof. Eddie loves to walk around on these as they wrap right around the kitchen and he can follow you everywhere while your playing with his favourite toy...food lol. However, I did not realise and could not see the gap that was behind the section where the oven was (for ventilation) - until one day Eddie disappeared all of a sudden. My family had never seen me move so fast, I scaled the bench and cupboard like my life depended on it. Luckily Eddie grabbed on to a bead of timber about a foot down from the top of the gap, he was hanging by his beak and I could only just reach him. About 2 feet onwards was the timber that covered the oven so I would still have been able to get him out somehow, but it was a real eye opener to the dangers that you don't see - imagine if the oven had been on and he was stuck down there, even for a few minutes! and a GCC is a lot smaller than an ekkie so just something to look out for - i got a whole bunch of em.
Oh my goodness! Thank you for that. That is probably something I would have overlooked as well. Geez...Poor Eddie and poor you! I would probably have a heart failure if that happened lol.

Your right too, a green cheek is a lot smaller and they can be mischevious little buggers too... good thing I will have 6-12 months for full throttle re-decorating!
__________________
No matter skin, feathers, scales or fur. We are all living creatures and should be treated rightfully so.
R.I.P Hiroshi. You were so loved and will be missed.
Reply With Quote
  #6 (permalink)  
Old 06-18-2010, 06:15 AM
Senior Member
Join Date: Jun 2010
Location: South Australia
Images: 7
Thanks: 152
Thanked 128 Times in 103 Posts
Aussie Ben is on a distinguished road
Re: Clipped Wings

Also try and use curtains and blinds where possible. A great way to teach your bird that a window is actually there is to let them touch it with their beak (unfortunately mine occasuinally learned this with their entire bodies which you obviously want to avoid ) This way they learn to understand that this thing is solid. Both my birds now know where all the windows are now and avoid them like the plague (on occasion they can get forgetful though, especially when something they really want, say you, is on the other side so watch out).
__________________
All the best,
Ben



Rest in peace Buddy,
you will never be forgotten
Reply With Quote
  #7 (permalink)  
Old 06-18-2010, 06:39 AM
Beilana's Avatar
Senior Member
Parrots:
Chia!!!! Cinnamon GCC
Join Date: Jun 2010
Location: Calgary, Ab, Canada
Thanks: 63
Thanked 115 Times in 89 Posts
Beilana is on a distinguished road
Re: Clipped Wings

Thanks for all the tips! I do have curtains on the windows and I will introduce him/her to everything so he gets familiar with the house :P

Are fake plants a cause for concern at all?
__________________
No matter skin, feathers, scales or fur. We are all living creatures and should be treated rightfully so.
R.I.P Hiroshi. You were so loved and will be missed.
Reply With Quote
  #8 (permalink)  
Old 06-18-2010, 06:40 AM
Ratzy's Avatar
Senior Member
Parrots:
See siggie :)
Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: Hamilton, Victoria, Australia
Images: 2
Thanks: 242
Thanked 110 Times in 82 Posts
Ratzy is on a distinguished road
Re: Clipped Wings

Marigold had her wings clipped before she developed her chest muscles properly. So it is a joy to me every time I see her fly by herself as she couldn't fly at all when I got her a year ago. It has taken me this long to get her confidence up. When I clipped my bubs, I made sure they had fully developed and were confident flyers. Marigold is still a bit slower than the others but is improving every day. I will never clip Marigold. My budgies only get a clip once.
PS. The morale of this is not to clip your bird too early. Marigold is mentally weak because of her inability to fly ( my opinion ).
As for how long it takes the wings to grow back, it depends on when they were clipped ( how close to moult ) and how regular the moult is.
Reply With Quote
  #9 (permalink)  
Old 06-18-2010, 06:56 AM
Senior Member
Join Date: Jun 2010
Location: South Australia
Images: 7
Thanks: 152
Thanked 128 Times in 103 Posts
Aussie Ben is on a distinguished road
Re: Clipped Wings

Quote:
Are fake plants a cause for concern at all?
I would say only if he is a 'chewer' and they are going to be in a place where he can get to them without you noticing. Its just you can't be sure what chemicals they have been treated with.

Also just avoid sharp plants with spiky leaves and stuff that he can run into. Eddie flew into a bonsai Cactus once that I didn't know had bee bought inside (He was okay). Gosh with all these stories I'm telling you, you must think my fids are covered from head to toe in bandages lol
__________________
All the best,
Ben



Rest in peace Buddy,
you will never be forgotten
Reply With Quote
  #10 (permalink)  
Old 06-18-2010, 07:51 AM
Banned
Join Date: Jun 2010
Thanks: 3
Thanked 33 Times in 31 Posts
Birdamor is on a distinguished road
Re: Clipped Wings

It takes two years for clipped wings to grow all the primaries back. And good for you (and even better for your bird!) that you decided to allow him flight! It's harder to keep a fully flighted bird than a clipped one but it's compensated by the knowledge that it is better for them.
Reply With Quote
Reply

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Parrot Forum - Parrot Owner's Community > Community > Questions and Answers


Search tags for this page

green cheek conure clipped wings grow back

,

how long for gcc flight wings to grow back

,

how long for parakeet clipped wings to grow back

,

it take how long to get back parrot clipped wing

,

parrot clipped wings grow back

,

what should a parrots wings at back look like once clipped

Click on a term to search for related topics.

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Clipping their wings is unhealthy? Tumbala's Girl General Health Care 19 02-07-2010 06:32 AM
My concure's mad at me because I clipped his wings. Allan Gibbs Conures 8 01-29-2010 05:45 PM
Clipped and loving it. Redballoon Cockatoos 10 02-09-2007 11:03 AM
Wings darkchi Congo & Timneh Greys 8 01-11-2007 02:33 PM



Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2021, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.