Powder Coat Cage?

PCash

Sep 7, 2017
Parrots
Yellow-Sided Green Cheek Conure (Male)

Pineapple Green Cheek Conure (Female)

Yellow Shouldered Amazon (male)
Hey all,

I found a cage on craigslist that was an awesome price. The cage is nice and spacious for my GCC, but when I got it home, bleached the heck out of it and let it dry, I noticed rust and the powder coat finish was more worn than it looked like at first. So of course, my bird isn't in it and the cage is taking up space in a hallway.

I called a local company that offers sandblasting and powder coating and I was surprised at the low cost to get it done. Plus, they told me that they can do the cage in practically any color I want. If I go ahead with getting my cage blasted and powder coated again, it would still work out as being cheaper than having bought it new and it would be the color I preferred.

Anyway, long story short, I was curious if anyone else has had a second-hand cage re-powder coated and how that worked out for you.

Laurasea

Aug 2, 2018
USA
Parrots
Full house
I would n like to hear more about this! And the safety. I would like to redo mine in white. Right now I have white, green, and two black. . .lol kinda drives me crazy

Jottlebot

Aug 29, 2012
Shropshire, UK
Parrots
Orange-winged Amazon - RIP Charlie,
Spock - Common Mynah,
McCoy - Alexandrine
I've never had it done because the price here at the places I contacted were too much - I'm in the UK. Absolutely go for it if it makes sense financially. It should be perfectly safe and durable. If I were you I'd still give it a good clean when you get it incase there's and chemical residue. I don't know if they'd generally treat the finished item with any type of protective wax-type thing, but if you ask I'm sure they'll tell you and just ask them not to.

SailBoat

Supporting Member
Jul 10, 2015
Western, Michigan
Parrots
DYH Amazon
Cost for Powder Coating varies widely as does the different methods (steps) used in apply the coating. A used cage that has been powder coated may receive a basic pre-cleaning, a coating and then a heat cycle.

It will be important that you note the areas that have rust and wear so that they are targeted during the pre-cleaning.

GaleriaGila

Parrot of the Month 🏆
May 14, 2016
Cleveland area
Parrots
The Rickeybird, 38-year-old Patagonian Conure
Ugh, here comes the Queen of Paranoia (that would be yours truly)...
Do the refurbishers guarantee it's bird-safe? Do we trust them?
So sorry you're having a hassle with this.

LaManuka

Staff member
Super Moderator
Aug 29, 2018
Media
Albums
Queensland, Australia
Parrots
Fang ({ab}normal grey cockatiel), Valentino (budgie), Jem (cinnamon cockatiel), Lovejoy(varied lorikeet), Peach (princess parrot)
Long live the Queen! Refurbed cage more trouble than it’s worth - get a new one!

OP
P

PCash

Sep 7, 2017
Parrots
Yellow-Sided Green Cheek Conure (Male)

Pineapple Green Cheek Conure (Female)

Yellow Shouldered Amazon (male)
I'll have to let you know how it goes. I have cages for my birds already, but I'd love to have a spare.

Of course I'll check for chemical residue and such afterwards and give it plenty of time to air and breathe before I even think about putting one of my babies in it.

SailBoat

Supporting Member
Jul 10, 2015
Western, Michigan
Parrots
DYH Amazon
The heat cycle (time and temperature) kills anything as the temperature (if I recall correctly) is around 200 degrees F.

Cleaning when it comes back to your home would be to remove any post heat cycle 'stuff' that may have gotten on the cage sections. Remember that deep drying in bright Sun light is one of the best ways of safely drying the cage.

I rarely have old cages as our Amazons tend to assure that once they are done with the cage it is likely physically no longer usable.

MonicaMc

Sep 12, 2012
Media
Parrots
Mitred Conure - Charlie 1994;
Cockatiel - Casey 2001;
Wild Caught ARN - Sylphie 2013
I've spoken with people who have done it in the past but none recently.

Most Reactions