7 week old macaw dropping feather

rnurse

Mar 2, 2020
Hi,

My baby macaw is dropping his feathers. I noticed one drop out some time ago, now my mother has confirmed that she saw one drop today and yesterday. Is this normal?

texsize

Supporting Member
Parrot of the Month 🏆
Oct 23, 2015
Media
so-cal
Parrots
1 YNA (Bingo)
1 OWA (Plumas R.I.P.)
1 RLA (Pacho R.I.P.)
2 GCA(Luna,Merlin) The Twins
1 Congo AG (Bella)
5 Cockatiels
I don't know anything about Mac babies but my Cockatiel babies did not drop feathers.
The parents did start pulling (plucking) feathers off the babies and I had to separate them except for feeding time.

I would be worried.

Owlet

Oct 27, 2016
Colorado
Parrots
Lincoln (Eclectus), Apollo (Cockatiel), Aster (GCC)
Hi Murse, just a few days ago you were saying your macaw wasn't growing feathers? Do you have more than one baby macaw?

OP
R

rnurse

Mar 2, 2020
It's growing slowly. They a about an inch long now, on the edge of the wings. But I noticed that one might drop out here and there.

itzjbean

Jan 27, 2017
Media
Iowa, USA
Parrots
2 cockatiels
They shouldn't be dropping feathers, they should be coming in like crazy. Here's an example picture of a 7 week old greenwing I just googled. Does your baby look anything like this? If it has much less feathers, your baby is stunted and is not thriving.

r7Pz2cr.jpg

This article shows a baby greenwing growing from 1 - 11 weeks of age.

Owlet

Oct 27, 2016
Colorado
Parrots
Lincoln (Eclectus), Apollo (Cockatiel), Aster (GCC)
are you feeding them the formula or still fruit/grain puree?

OP
R

rnurse

Mar 2, 2020
I was feeding him the formula, but e started coughing majorly, so I backed off of it for a few days. Now he eats blended banana twice a day, and oatmeal twice a day, till the crop is filled. This diet isn't bad, and isn't much different from the formula, which is based on soya and wheat.

I will try the formula again in a few days. I believe I had the formula too watery of a consistency. I was averaging the 1/3 formula to 2/3 water. Now I will use tablespoons to measure the amount of water to formula, and I believe I will end up with a thicker consistency, much like the blended fruit, and blended oatmeal.

OP
R

rnurse

Mar 2, 2020
My 7 Week old Green Wing is definitely growing, and is very full of life, passionate young parrot. I will take more pictures again next week.

But his feathers I believe are still small for 8 weeks. We'll tell with time. Maybe he's just a slow developer. The breeder i got him from feeds the fruits as well.

Most Reactions

Latest posts