Parrot Forum Header Left  
Go Back   Parrot Forum - Parrot Owner's Community > Species Specific > Conures

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old Yesterday, 10:03 AM
Parrots:
Senegal Parrot named "Kane"; Yellow-Sided Green Cheek Conure named "Bowie"; Blue Quaker Parrot named "Lita Ford"; Cockatiel named "Duff"; 8 American/English Budgie Hybrids; Ringneck Dove named "Dylan"
Thanked 2,111 Times in 989 Posts
EllenD is on a distinguished road
Re: Sun Conure sick/advice needed

Sponsored Links
Just to add something as an explanation....I cannot tell you how many birds/reptiles I've seen mistakenly prescribed an Antibiotic when they had no bacterial infection at all, but rather a fungal infection, and even if they were given both meds, the totally unnecessary antibiotic ends-up making them much, much worse, and in a lot of cases kills them...So my suggestion to stop any Antibiotic until she got the bird to a CAV tomorrow was based on a ton of experience in this...unfortunately it's not at all uncommon for that to happen...Fortunately this Vet actually did the right thing (the fact that he actually did a Fecal Culture puts him ahead of most Exotics vets, truly)...I think that everything is going to be fine, but again, follow-up with a CAV, as I still don't have a clue why that vet said what he said, based on a simple Fungal infection that should clear-up with the meds prescribed and probiotic treatments...Anyway, I'm not a CAV, which is why that was the first thing that I suggested that you make sure that you do, if that vet wasn't a CAV...They may have been, I don't know, but you must make sure...and even if they were, I would absolutely, if it was my bird, get an immediate second-opinion, as I just really don't understand or like how this vet left things with you...and a culture/gram-stain of the crop would possibly give an explanation to the chronic-regurgitation and make this whole thing seem less-dire to you...I don't at all think it is dire, birds often get GI fungal-infections that spread throughout to or from the crop, and honestly even the little bit of improvement she is showing already just from a couple days of Anti-fungal meds is a very good sign...

BTW, I'd keep her on the Probiotic once daily for a week after she finishes both Anti-Fungal meds, just to ensure that her healthy gut-flora is replenished, and also to continue to ease the GI inflammations/discomfort..

Last edited by EllenD; Yesterday at 10:38 AM.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to EllenD For This Useful Post:
Scott  (Yesterday), TiredOldMan (Yesterday)
Old Yesterday, 10:14 AM
Parrots:
Senegal Parrot named "Kane"; Yellow-Sided Green Cheek Conure named "Bowie"; Blue Quaker Parrot named "Lita Ford"; Cockatiel named "Duff"; 8 American/English Budgie Hybrids; Ringneck Dove named "Dylan"
Thanked 2,111 Times in 989 Posts
EllenD is on a distinguished road

Something I totally forgot, about the regurgitation...It's extremely likely that the yeast either spread to her crop through the GI Tract, based on the severe swelling througout, or that the infection actually started in the crop/mouth/throat and spread throughout the GI Tract. That would account for her regurgitating constantly, as it probably feels as though she has something inside of her crop, which she very well may, yeast...

I would be sure to mention this to the CAV that you take her to, as she will most-likely do a crop-flush and then culture the washings that come out to see if this is the case...The oral Probiotic can help tremendously with this if it's the problem...I'd highly suggest the Bene-Bac over the powder probiotic if this is the case, and be sure to give it daily, and at any time, as it will not interfere with the antifungal meds she is on (probiotics do interfere with antibiotics, but she's not on one, so it's fine to give her the meds and the Bene-Bac at the same time)....
Scott  (Yesterday), TiredOldMan (Yesterday)
Old Yesterday, 09:44 PM
Parrots:
Mitred Conure - Charlie 1994; Cockatiel - Casey 2001; Wild Caught ARN - Sylphie 2013
Thanked 4,088 Times in 2,704 Posts
MonicaMc is on a distinguished road

Often times, when birds "regurgitate" in a car, it's actually vomiting and the bird has motion sickness. The difference is in whether or not it's controlled or uncontrolled regurgitation. Controlled, they'll usually feed something or re-eat what they regurgitated up. With vomiting, they typically shake their head and the food goes flying! (not always, but usually)

As soon as your conure gets the all clear on the gram stain, she needs blood work! She might have liver or kidney failure (or something else) and bloodwork may help to pinpoint the cause. Enlarged organs can press up against a nerve that goes to the legs and cause partial/complete paralysis.
TiredOldMan (Yesterday)
Old Today, 10:41 AM
cleosmom is on a distinguished road

Hi,

Thanks again for your help with this issue.

I took Whack Whack to a CAV on Saturday. Honestly, I'm not sure the CAVs in my area are that good. I have been to this vet before recently with a budgie who can't fly well and the CAV said the budgie didn't want to fly but I have seen this budgie try to fly and not be able to. This CAV only works part-time. Another nearly CAV gets bad reviews online. A third is at the same clinic that I took her to for the urgent care visit on the 7th. The vet I saw on the 7th is not on the CAV list, but works at the clinic where they have a CAV. There are some other CAVs on the list that are a little further away.
So the CAV did another gram-stain, she took blood, and examined Whack Whack. Whack Whack was doing better, so they sent out for the blood work (they can do it in house but can't test for as much and is more expensive I was told), but the results won't be ready until today. The CAV won't be in office to look at the blood work until 1pm EST.
This morning WHack Whack was not so good after her morning poop. Again with the leg paralysis and her head bobbing like regurgitation with nothing really coming out. Later she seemed okay was eating and drinking water.
I forgot to mention the first vet and CAV both said she has a HEART MURMUR.
So according to the internet and the CAV the metronidazole is an antibiotic. The CAV said this antibiotic only works in the GI tract. The CAV said the gram-stain showed less good bacteria and budding yeast. She also found something she couldn't identify. She wanted to give another antibiotic in case it's a UTI. I wanted to wait for blood work results. And for her to possibly identify what she was seeing.
Bene bac is not available near me. I called around. My local bird store suggested yogurt. I did order bene bac online and it should be here today. CAV said okay to give it to her.
It's not easy to give Whack Whack medication. Maybe it doesn't all go in. Also I have already spent close to $600. I need to be careful to keep cost down as much as possible.
I am worried my other sun might get sick too.
Oh and the first vet did do a swab of her beak, but the CAV didn't.
I'm trying to get written results from the CAV.
So on the notes from the first vet it says Choanal and Cloacal for gram stain. Is Choanal the butt and Cloacal the beak? Because Choanal says 0 yeast.
Thanks again for your help.

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Parrot Forum - Parrot Owner's Community > Species Specific > Conures
Remove Ads