Parrot of the Month 🏆
Aug 4, 2019
Media
Parrots
Valentine-budgie (M),
Daphne-budgie (F)
Rip-Sky
Rip-Bell
Re: Alexandrine beaks and bites - Yes, you're absolutely right, in proportion to their body size that beak is a monster! They can give very nasty bites, that's just the physics of it, but I've only been bitten probably...5 or 6 times by McCoy in over 2 years, I don't think he's ever drawn blood, but he might have done once, but I've forgotten. I've been bruised, but never badly hurt. He went through a phase of pinching my skin, which was painful, he would scrape his lower beak along me. I think it was when he was trying to work out what it was. I take training very very slowly though so he doesn't need to bite me because I don't push it. He was parent reared not hand reared, but I got him at about 6 months, I was his first home. There is a lot you can do to reduce the risk of bites.

I'm not really worried about biting and aggression but my bites so far from Gemma were pretty bad and most of them were because of my budgies, she hates them.
I've had 3 bad bites already, 2 from Valentine flying over to Gemma while she was on me.
One time when she was hanging upside down on my hand, I accidentally moved a toy while she was getting up, she applied so much pressure that I had a deep cut. Later I saw that her foot was covered in my blood and I was laughing that she was 'caught red handed'. :D
I will own up that is was my fault, I shouldn't have taken her out when the budgies were there because I know she hates them and I shouldn't have messed around with her cage although at the time I didn't know that she hated the movement of toys.

Most Reactions

Latest posts