Parrot Forum Header Left  
Go Back   Parrot Forum - Parrot Owner's Community > Community > Questions and Answers

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-10-2019, 11:40 AM
IndianRingnecks4me is on a distinguished road
How To Tell If Kak Is Bonded

Title ^. Got a 1 year and a bit kakariki. He steps up, not on command though. If I hold up a seed in front of my finger, he'll step on it no hesitation. He also will eat out of my hand and contact calls me when I go out of the room. I sometimes have to chase him with my hand to get him in his cage at night to get him in his cage though. So, how do I tell if he's bonded to me? Sometimes he comes to my table but never to me. I've also heard kaks arent really the touchy type so the previous thing doesn't really bother me. As I type this, he's running around my table.
Old 09-13-2019, 04:41 PM
Parrots:
Budgies (Puff, Peewee and Pixel), Cockatiel (Pippy), Kakariki (Pikachu)
hannah7733 is on a distinguished road
Re: How To Tell If Kak Is Bonded

Like you said, kakarikis aren't the sort of bird to perch on your shoulder for a long period of time. They're very lively and extremely stubborn lol. I think if your kakariki seeks out your company, comes to you and climbs over you out of his own free will then that's a good sign. Hand feeding will definitely improve your bond though and just generally being around him as much as possible with him out of the cage. The stepping up thing is a tricky one because mine will step up every time but they're clever buggers and if he senses I'm getting him to step up to put him to bed for the night then he'll fly off again. But try your hardest to have patience and not chase/grab because to have a bond he needs to trust you and that will break any trust. Instead try getting him on your finger with his favourite seed and whilst he's distracted you can walk him over to the cage =)
The Following User Says Thank You to hannah7733 For This Useful Post:
Laurasea Supporting Member (09-13-2019)

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Parrot Forum - Parrot Owner's Community > Community > Questions and Answers