Parrot Forum Header Left  
Go Back   Parrot Forum - Parrot Owner's Community > Species Specific > Conures

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-12-2018, 11:48 AM
Conureflock is on a distinguished road
Shy Conure - Need help taming

Sponsored Links
Whilst Iím a new member, this isnít the first time Iíve used this site for help! I have 2 conures, a pineapple whom Iíve had a few months now called Alby, sheís very tame and completely comfortable with me. I decided to get her (not sexed just decided she was a she!) a companion, not a cage companion just another bird to talk to when Iím at work which starts in September and I decided on a Black-capped Conure simply because I think theyíre really beautiful. I got him from a Pet store, which Iíve read isnít the best idea but they told me he (again not sexed!) was hand-tamed and as Iíve seen and held many of their birds before, I believed them!
Whilst I understand he wonít be completely used to me immediately and Iím fine if he needs time to get used to his environment, I donít like him sitting in his cage all day as I feel that he needs excersize (despite him having clipped wings) and to explore his surroundings. I thought if he could explore my room (where he is) whilst Iím there heíd be safe and may get more comfortable with me and his new home, heís very difficult getting back in the cage. Iíve tried to sit and wait for hours for him to go back in under his own steam but he doesnít seem to ever go back in, not even for food. I let him out for an hour or so everyday and it is seeming to improve his confidence, but I always end up scaring him when I try to get him back in his cage! I donít know if itís fear from a past experience but it seems to be specifically to my hands, which I know sounds obvious Iím just trying to be thorough!
Heís a beautiful boy and I hate stressing him out when I try to get him back in his cage. I was wondering whether anyone had any tips for that or taming tips in general. Any help would be massively appreciated!
Old 08-12-2018, 12:24 PM
Parrots:
Mitred Conure - Charlie 1994; Cockatiel - Casey 2001; Wild Caught ARN - Sylphie 2013
Thanked 4,286 Times in 2,808 Posts
MonicaMc is on a distinguished road
Re: Shy Conure - Need help taming

Can you... take his cage to him?

If you are having difficulty handling him while out of his cage, then you might want to reconsider taking him out - for now. Instead, any time you walk by his cage, drop a treat into a special cup. Work in target training through the cage bars and once he's good at targeting anywhere within the cage then open the door and work on target training through there. Then around the outside of the cage. Eventually you can work on target training away from the cage which can help you get him back in the cage as well as teach him how to step up.
Old 08-12-2018, 01:33 PM

Okay so simply drop a treat in and wait for him to get it? Or walk away and come back later? Should I ever hold the treat in my hands and let him take it or just let him pick it out a bowl?
I really appreciate your response, thank you!
Old 08-12-2018, 06:16 PM
Super Moderator
Parrots:
The Rickeybird, 34-year-old Patagonian Conure
Thanked 19,258 Times in 6,970 Posts
GaleriaGila is on a distinguished road

Here are some good threads that address some of your issues.

Think more BONDING and less TAMING.

Tips for Bonding and Building Trust

General Parrot Information - Parrot Forum - Parrot Owner's Community
And
The Artist. He chews holes -uh- designs - in cloth. I sell them in my eBay Gallery.
The Pet of the Day. Suggest one!http://petoftheday.com/archive/2016/May/20.html
Old 08-13-2018, 07:48 PM
Parrots:
Mitred Conure - Charlie 1994; Cockatiel - Casey 2001; Wild Caught ARN - Sylphie 2013
Thanked 4,286 Times in 2,808 Posts
MonicaMc is on a distinguished road

At first, just drop the treat in the cup and keep walking. If your bird isn't comfortable eating near you, then just drop a treat and go. As your conure gets more comfortable with you, you can increase expectations - such as eating when you are 5' away or 1' away or taking treats from your hands. Work with what your bird is willing to give you.
Old 08-13-2018, 10:05 PM
Supporting Member
Parrots:
Yellow Shoulder Amazon, Salty
Thanked 7,605 Times in 3,302 Posts
wrench13 is on a distinguished road

Better to let him get used to your presence y the above method than to scare him trying to get him back in his cage. He has to learn that ONLY good things happen when people (you) are involved. Work at his pace, not at your expectations pace.

Follow Salty's 87 page lifestory thread:
http://www.parrotforums.com/amazons/...now-salty.html

The Crew:
Salty - YSA - hatched 8/15/15
Geri - Blond haired Queens wife , birthday unknown
Tinker - Cairn terrier, 4/15/08
Old Yesterday, 02:50 AM
Parrots:
Rio (Yellow sided conure) sadly no longer with us
Thanked 3,015 Times in 1,735 Posts
LordTriggs is on a distinguished road

agreed with all the above

Also if you do let him out and he doesn't want to get on your hands here's a little trick I found that seems to help. Try using a perch that is in the cage already to pick him up at first and get in the cage. I did so with my conure and it did seem to help him get used to the concept of stepping up
Old Yesterday, 04:07 AM

Thank you for all the advice, the only reason I let him out is because he holds onto the bars flapping his wings which makes me think he wants to come out, but I agree that I donít want him associating me with stressful situations.
The target training is working I think, but I was wondering what treats your bird loves as I havenít really found one thing that he loves yet! Iíve tried blue berries, sweet corn, pomegranate seeds, I donít know whether actual seeds may work better?
The Following User Says Thank You to Conureflock For This Useful Post:
LordTriggs (Yesterday)
Old Yesterday, 06:00 AM
Parrots:
Rio (Yellow sided conure) sadly no longer with us
Thanked 3,015 Times in 1,735 Posts
LordTriggs is on a distinguished road

sometimes a sunflower seed can be a good treat,

for me I found raisins worked pretty well. I would chop them into little bitesize chunks so one raisin could last a rewards. So they eat only 1 or 2 instead of say 6 raisins

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Parrot Forum - Parrot Owner's Community > Species Specific > Conures

Tags
black capped conure, conure, conure taming, taming
Remove Ads