What is it about feet?

T00tsyd

May 8, 2017
UK
Parrots
Green cheek conure - Sydney (Syd) Hatched 2/2017
I no sooner think I have solved one problem that another pops it's head (perhaps I should say feet) up.

Syd has got a foot fettish. If he sees my feet he attacks. The feathers go up, the head goes down and the beak is open wide as he sprints, or sometimes sneeks to my poor feet. Now yes I'm ticklish, but they also hurt easily. No longer content to hang out on my upper frame and hands, or have a nice little snuggle, if he sees my feet attached to the rest of me he has only one thought in his head.

I have said 'no' and 'NO'. Put him away and walked. Taken him to his cage - he just repeats 'I'm sorry' and like most nuts I take pity on him and we start all over again.

Yes he's moulting, yes he's hormonal, yes he cantankerous and yes he's a monster. At this moment I have once again given up the tussle and he's happy enough it seems in his cage, but I am quite sure that in a few minutes he will pin me with one beady eye and say 'I'm sorry baby' and melt my heart all over again.
LOL it didn't take many minutes - 'I'm sorry baby!' Bless him!

MonicaMc

Sep 12, 2012
Media
Parrots
Mitred Conure - Charlie 1994;
Cockatiel - Casey 2001;
Wild Caught ARN - Sylphie 2013
Wish I could tell you, but of the many birds I've had, including several conures, never had that issue!

One *possible* way to solve it though is to distract them with a different game. Instead of chasing feet, maybe they could chase a ball?

ChristaNL

Banned
Banned
May 23, 2018
NL= the Netherlands, Europe
Parrots
Sunny a female B&G macaw;
Japie (m) & Appie (f), both are congo african grey;
All are rescues- had to leave their previous homes for 'reasons', are still in contact with them :)
Minumum effort - maximum effect ...

I would go for you toes too ;)
(in a completely non-hormonal, not nasty way of course -- my parrots have trained me well )

Sunny adores charging at feet because full attention of the owner of those feet is guaranteed!
The greys just think feet (bald or wrapped) are convenient perches - they are not that interested in "drama" so they just chill.

One of my friends still gets the giggles because one day Japie was on the floor, quite close to his feet (in shoes) and he heard the parrot give himself the command "step-up" and proceded to climb on his foot ...
(very nice to meet you too)
We are still not sure if Japie decided to warn him of what he wanted to do or if it was a case of "Hey, I am bored down here".

Sandy19

Mar 22, 2017
The only way I know how to solve it is to where sneakers. Peanut has a foot fetish too, if I'm barefoot or have flip flops on Peanut will hide under the patio furniture and come running out as fast as she can and attack my feet. I tell her no and she tells me no back. She's relentless about it too, I'll pick her up and put her on my shoulder or knee and she'll say no and climb down and proceed to attack my feet again. Little brat she is.

condobirds

Jul 13, 2018
My female Meyers does that and I had a male cockatiel that attacked my feet also. It wasn't a foot fetish, it is related to nesting. The cockatiel would be under the bed and when I walked by he attacked. Same with Lola, she likes to find dark places to build a nest. I have some type of barrier in all the places she likes. But if on the floor and I walk close she runs to attack. Solution is not to let them on the floor.

YUMgrinder

Mar 20, 2017
Cheyenne, WY
Parrots
-Jazz, Normal Grey Cockatiel /

-Chessie, Pearl Cockatiel /

-Perry, Black capped Conure /

-JoJo, Pineapple GCC /

3 little busy Budgies
My GCC likes to chew on my socks when they are on my feet, but ignores my bare feet. My cockatiel will sing and talk and strut at anyones feet, bare or not. He loves them. He rubs his beak on our toes in a fashion I have not ever seen him to do to anything else. Front and back beak rub. Funny how some attack and some just love and most don't pay any attention at all.

Aratingettar

May 29, 2018
Poland
Parrots
Sun t̶e̶r̶r̶o̶r̶i̶s̶t̶ C̶o̶n̶u̶r̶e̶ terrorist Cytrynka (F),
Peach faced lovebird Fiona (F),
Peach faced lovebird Fionek (M)

YUMgrinder

Mar 20, 2017
Cheyenne, WY
Parrots
-Jazz, Normal Grey Cockatiel /