Parrot Forum Header Left  
Go Back   Parrot Forum - Parrot Owner's Community > Community > General Parrot Information

General Parrot Information Post here for general parrot related topics

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-17-2021, 04:03 PM
MapleMatt is on a distinguished road
Help me pick a new friend parrot please

Hi guys, let me introduce myself, Im from Czechia, my budget is +- 600 USD included cage, Im looking for parrott, I had budgie, conure and cockatiels and now looking for something bit pricey and more advanced than these beginner parrotts. Please, give me at least 5-10 tips so that I have a solid choice, thank You all for your kindness and excuse my English please. Stay safe!

Last edited by MapleMatt; 01-17-2021 at 04:26 PM.
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to MapleMatt For This Useful Post:
bug_n_flock Supporting Member (01-17-2021), Laurasea Supporting Member (01-17-2021), Scott  (01-18-2021)
Old 01-17-2021, 04:19 PM
Supporting Member
Parrots:
DYH Amazon
Thanked 32,670 Times in 11,021 Posts
SailBoat will become famous soon enough
Re: Help me pick a new friend parrot please

Change your Vantage Point!

Let the Parrot choose you! This change has great advantages as Parrots are much better making this choice since it is all about their wanting you, which places your relationship much further ahead in developing a solid bond. i.e., The Parrot wants to be with you!

FYI: Regardless of size, all Parrots are equal from the point of relationship. The term 'beginner' Parrot has no place in the World of a Parrot Choosing You!

It is important to understand that the larger the Parrot the greater the pressure on your ability to afford the costs of everything from the Parrot, the cage, food, toys!, medical costs, etc...

In each Morning's early light; there is a promise, an Amazon makes!
The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to SailBoat For This Useful Post:
bug_n_flock Supporting Member (01-17-2021), Laurasea Supporting Member (01-17-2021), Littleredbeak (01-17-2021), MapleMatt (01-17-2021), Scott  (01-18-2021), SilverWolf (01-17-2021), texsize Supporting Member (01-17-2021)
Old 01-17-2021, 04:28 PM

Quote: Originally Posted by SailBoat View Post
Change your Vantage Point!

Let the Parrot choose you! This change has great advantages as Parrots are much better making this choice since it is all about their wanting you, which places your relationship much further ahead in developing a solid bond. i.e., The Parrot wants to be with you!

FYI: Regardless of size, all Parrots are equal from the point of relationship. The term 'beginner' Parrot has no place in the World of a Parrot Choosing You!

It is important to understand that the larger the Parrot the greater the pressure on your ability to afford the costs of everything from the Parrot, the cage, food, toys!, medical costs, etc...
Hi, true, I can cover that costs in future days, parrot choosing me would be great...but now with covid, no expos, so Im looking for tips, thanks for reply
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to MapleMatt For This Useful Post:
Laurasea Supporting Member (01-17-2021), SailBoat Supporting Member (01-17-2021), Scott  (01-18-2021)
Old 01-17-2021, 04:40 PM
Supporting Member
Parrots:
B&G Macaw, Galah, 5 cockatiels, 50 billion and a half budgies. We breed and do rescue. Too many to list each individual's name and age etc, but they are each individuals and loved dearly.
Thanked 3,226 Times in 1,095 Posts
bug_n_flock is on a distinguished road

Letting the bird choose you is a great idea! I don't know what prices and availability are like in your part of the world, but if you are open to taking in a Previously Loved Bird, you are probably more likely to find a bird and cage "package" within your price range. An adult bird will also give you a clear indication of their actual personality, while a baby will always be sweet and friendly but once an adult, their personality will change dramatically. Rescues do sometimes come with behavioral issues, so know what you are comfortable dealing with and know as much as you can about the bird's history. Don't be afraid to walk away if you don't think it is a good fit. You will thank yourself later. But if a bird chooses you, it can be some of the most amazing bird-human relationships out there.

But of course, there is absolutely nothing wrong with sticking to budgies, cockatiels, or conures. Those are absolutely *fabulous* choices for a bird friend. I love my 'keets and 'tiels immensely! Such wonderful birds!

Follow our adventure:

http://www.parrotforums.com/incredib...our-flock.html
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to bug_n_flock For This Useful Post:
Laurasea Supporting Member (01-17-2021), SailBoat Supporting Member (01-17-2021), Scott  (01-18-2021), SilverWolf (01-17-2021)
Old 01-17-2021, 04:59 PM
Supporting Member
Parrots:
DYH Amazon
Thanked 32,670 Times in 11,021 Posts
SailBoat will become famous soon enough

Covid has changed the World, for now! That change will last on a World scale for at least 18 months (a true return to something like normal). Near every Country will be faced with large increases in Government Taxation to pay for the huge costs of fighting covid. That implies that the cost of living will rise everywhere.

There is a reality that each Country has very different mixes of Parrot species available, resulting from boarder closings and import limitations caused by both changing in import laws and what breeders are in your Country. In North American, we are seeing a like limitation as transport over distances has been limited. Point to all of this, on a World scale, what is available in one area is not in other areas. So, we would need to know what species are available in your Country...

In each Morning's early light; there is a promise, an Amazon makes!
The Following User Says Thank You to SailBoat For This Useful Post:
Scott  (01-18-2021)
Old 01-17-2021, 05:08 PM

Quote: Originally Posted by SailBoat View Post
Covid has changed the World, for now! That change will last on a World scale for at least 18 months (a true return to something like normal). Near every Country will be faced with large increases in Government Taxation to pay for the huge costs of fighting covid. That implies that the cost of living will rise everywhere.

There is a reality that each Country has very different mixes of Parrot species available, resulting from boarder closings and import limitations caused by both changing in import laws and what breeders are in your Country. In North American, we are seeing a like limitation as transport over distances has been limited. Point to all of this, on a World scale, what is available in one area is not in other areas. So, we would need to know what species are available in your Country...
Thank You very much for response, please, I do live in Czech republic, EU, wide erray of parrots available,
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to MapleMatt For This Useful Post:
SailBoat Supporting Member (01-17-2021), Scott  (01-18-2021)
Old 01-17-2021, 05:30 PM
Supporting Member
Parrots:
Yellow Shoulder Amazon, Salty
Thanked 16,024 Times in 5,743 Posts
wrench13 will become famous soon enough

Meet as many parrots as you can reasonably do in Covid days. You will know very quickly if that parrot has decided he is yours. The posters above are giving good advice! If you meet a ringneck and he decides you are his person, it means the world to him! Could be a Grey or another conure, you never know. I will tell you a hard truth - toys for bigger parrots are more $$, oh yes! And thats a constant expenditure. My little Amazon goes though wood toys like a meat grinder.

Be Careful of SCAMS - very common here in the US! For some reason, parrots are a favorite scam for low types. Good luck and let us know how your search is going.

Follow Salty's 127 page lifestory thread:
http://www.parrotforums.com/amazons/...now-salty.html

The Crew:
Salty - Yellow Shoulder Amazon (YSA) - hatched 8/15/15
Tinker - Cairn terrier, 4/15/08
Geri - Blonde haired Queens wife, birthday 4/25/19??
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to wrench13 For This Useful Post:
SailBoat Supporting Member (01-17-2021), Scott  (01-18-2021)
Old 01-17-2021, 08:33 PM
Parrots:
YNA
Ira7 is on a distinguished road

Good luck!

Here in the states, a decent cage for ANY medium or larger size parrot is going to be about $500. So that’s your entire budget right there.

If I were you, I would take your current budget and buy the best cage you can find. Research it. The safest, biggest, most practical cage you can afford. Buy a QUALITY cage.

THEN start saving your money again and research birds. Take your time. Take a few MONTHS. Spend a few months HERE to learn about the different species before buying anything or doing a rescue.

And as said above, don’t underestimate the ongoing costs. We’re not exaggerating it. Toys, the proper diet, veterinary examinations...this ****e adds up and is expensive! Much more expensive than a cat or dog.

Last edited by Ira7; 01-17-2021 at 08:37 PM.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Ira7 For This Useful Post:
Scott  (01-18-2021), SilverWolf (01-18-2021)
Old 01-18-2021, 11:58 AM
Parrots:
Umbrella Cockatoo- 13 years old
Thanked 14,536 Times in 5,819 Posts
noodles123 will become famous soon enough

Parrots are SUPER expensive to care for properly. It's not something I'd cut corners on either, as parrots can live over 80 years (depending on the type).

The cage for a very large parrot can be more than $4000, but even for a decent medium cage for a bird with a strong beak is going to be around 2-5 hundred in most cases (and that's on the cheaper end). Then there is the cost of the bird, vet bills, toys etc. Excluding upfront costs, I probably spend between 2-3 thousand on my parrot each year...and you might think I have a super fancy or pampered bird, but no...That's just for upkeep, toys, food, vet bills, replacement perches etc.

So, I would consider saving a bit more if I were you-- my mom was irritated with me for years after I adopted Noodles because she was worried about this exact issue (even though I was not living with them and even though it was my money). While I knew she would be very expensive (having worked and lived with them before), I was a bit blown out of the water by the veterinary costs that are often unexpected. She was worried I'd go to the ends of the earth to save my parrot if it came to that, and she wasn't wrong. Just know that money is really important if you take this on.

Also- anything on the larger side is going to cost you A LOT more, because their cages are much more expensive and huge. They also require larger toys and destroy them very efficiently, along with eating more etc-- so even though smaller birds are expensive too, a big one can seriously set you back indefinitely.

SO, if you let a parrot pick you, MAKE SURE you have the money and knowledge about that parrot's lifespan, tendencies etc...Get that information from sites devoted to said species--- not just random pet websites or breeders..They are too general and pet shop workers and some breeders often want to sell, so they shouldn't be your main resource in terms of parrot tendencies etc.

Last edited by noodles123; 01-18-2021 at 12:08 PM.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to noodles123 For This Useful Post:
Scott  (01-18-2021), SilverWolf (01-18-2021)

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Parrot Forum - Parrot Owner's Community > Community > General Parrot Information