Parrot Forum Header Left  
Go Back   Parrot Forum - Parrot Owner's Community > Community > Breeding/Raising Parrots

Breeding/Raising Parrots A place for the discussion of breeding and raising baby parrots.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-20-2019, 11:22 AM
Only_speed is on a distinguished road
should I stop hand feeding?

Hello. I have a 5 to 6 month old tiel that im weaning. Im very close to getting him weaned. only the last feeding of the day is left. He has a filled crop before feeding. Today he ate 0.5ml of formula only.then regurgitated a bit of it. (its normal for them to regurgitate after feeding). Should I stop feeding him?
Old 09-20-2019, 11:23 AM
Parrots:
Eclectus, CAG, BH Pionus, Maximilianís Pionus, Quakers, Indian Ringnecks, Green Cheeked Conures, Black Capped Conures, Cockatiels, Lovebirds, Budgies, Canaries, Diamond Doves, Zebra Finches, Society F
Thanked 8,656 Times in 3,532 Posts
SilverSage will become famous soon enough
Re: should I stop hand feeding?

You should take him to the Certified Avian Vet, regurgitating after feeding is not normal, nor is it normal to be hand feeding at that age.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Tami2  (09-20-2019)
Old 09-20-2019, 11:32 AM

Quote: Originally Posted by SilverSage View Post
You should take him to the Certified Avian Vet, regurgitating after feeding is not normal, nor is it normal to be hand feeding at that age.

"It's normal for chicks that are almost weaned to regurgitate a small amount of food after being hand feed. This means that the crop is shrinking, which is also normal." Breeding Cockatiels, candled eggs, assisted hatches, how to make a brooder, how to handfeed baby birds, baby bird feeding schedule, baby bird weight gain chart, weaning baby birds, how to wean baby birds.
i typed the age wrong. hes 4 to 5 months not 5 to 6. sorry. I dont have any fully certified avian vets because i live in a small country where people usually have dogs and cats, not birds. how do i proceed?
Old 09-20-2019, 11:43 AM
Parrots:
Eclectus, CAG, BH Pionus, Maximilianís Pionus, Quakers, Indian Ringnecks, Green Cheeked Conures, Black Capped Conures, Cockatiels, Lovebirds, Budgies, Canaries, Diamond Doves, Zebra Finches, Society F

Iíve never had it happen in 20 years of bird keeping. If your birdís crop is so full that he canít keep his food down his crop is too full.

charmedbyekkie (09-20-2019)
Old 09-20-2019, 12:17 PM

So should I stop hand feeding?
Old 09-20-2019, 01:10 PM
Parrots:

If the baby is still begging for food, then no, but if he is not begging for food and his crop is already full, then yes. If he is begging for food on a full crop at that age there is a problem.

Old 09-20-2019, 01:16 PM
Parrots:
Boo, Rue, Ash & Ember - 4 cockatiels
Thanked 3,704 Times in 1,631 Posts
itzjbean is on a distinguished road

At that age a cockatiel should be eating completely on its own. I've never heard of one taking this long - 2-3 months is more typical.

Maybe some more background info would be helpful. How long have you been feeding this baby? Where did you get him? Have you been weighing him regularly? How much does he weight? Abundance weaning is good (like you are doing) but at this age they should be on their own totally. Maybe he has stunted growth?

Has he ever been to a vet (avian or exotics)? Can he perch and fly normally? Have you offered him foodsd to try to eat on his own? What are you offering?

See more of my flock on Instagram!
The Following User Says Thank You to itzjbean For This Useful Post:
SilverSage (09-20-2019)
Old 09-20-2019, 02:55 PM

Quote: Originally Posted by itzjbean View Post
At that age a cockatiel should be eating completely on its own. I've never heard of one taking this long - 2-3 months is more typical.

Maybe some more background info would be helpful. How long have you been feeding this baby? Where did you get him? Have you been weighing him regularly? How much does he weight? Abundance weaning is good (like you are doing) but at this age they should be on their own totally. Maybe he has stunted growth?

Has he ever been to a vet (avian or exotics)? Can he perch and fly normally? Have you offered him foodsd to try to eat on his own? What are you offering?
I have been feeding him for 3 months, i got him at a pet shop where he was alone in a cage looking sad and lonely. I dont weigh him regularly but the last time maybe a week ago he was around 95g this might be wrong because he doesnt like to sit on the scale for more than 3 seconds. I dont think he has stunted growth. I blame myself as the reason that he isnt weaned yet because i didnt understand abundance weaning from the start. maybe from the 3 months i fed him, i started abundance weaning at maybe 1.5-2 months from when i got him home. I have not been to a vet yet, because i know ones that treat birds but are specialized in dogs and cats. I live in a small country, so the main pets are dogs or cats, not birds.He perches and flies normally, and I even train recall with him. I offer many foods, changed three times daily, these include carrots, peas, beans,lettuce, seed mix for cockatiels( will get pellets after about a week) and millet.
Old 09-20-2019, 05:37 PM
Parrots:
Cairo the Ekkie!
Thanked 2,202 Times in 688 Posts
charmedbyekkie is on a distinguished road

Perhaps you can share which country? I also live in a small country where majority pets are cats and dogs... Is it the same country?

*He grew up in a Malay-speaking family, so we have to respect his name and preferred pronunciation

@cairothedino on Instagram
The Following User Says Thank You to charmedbyekkie For This Useful Post:
SilverSage (09-20-2019)
Old 09-20-2019, 11:53 PM

Quote: Originally Posted by charmedbyekkie View Post
Perhaps you can share which country? I also live in a small country where majority pets are cats and dogs... Is it the same country?
I live in bahrain, a country in the middle east. i tried using the locator tool for cerified avian vets but i didnt find anything.

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Parrot Forum - Parrot Owner's Community > Community > Breeding/Raising Parrots