Parrot Forum Header Left  
Go Back   Parrot Forum - Parrot Owner's Community > Species Specific > Indian Ringnecks

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-11-2019, 10:42 AM
Ryansab is on a distinguished road
My first post, few questions about my new bird

Hi everyone, I adopted a bird few weeks ago I believe sheís an African ringneck
The previous owner seems didnít take a good care of her she used to be very scared of anyone (recently less but still wonít trust hands, and a bit shy).
Sheís very quite and Iíll say very well behaved (lol) compared to conures and Quakers.
Is it possible to know her age? Her eyes are all black, and tbh Iím say her cos Iím not sure of sex the previous owner told me doesnít have a black ring so it must be a female but it looks very young
Attached Thumbnails
My first post, few questions about my new bird-056415be-3a78-4e97-9f63-b9bd986571f5.jpg   My first post, few questions about my new bird-e1f11237-cca8-4e58-9909-e121252ddc83.jpg  
The Following User Says Thank You to Ryansab For This Useful Post:
Laurasea Supporting Member (10-11-2019)
Old 10-11-2019, 10:44 AM
Parrots:
Eclectus, CAG, BH Pionus, Maximilianís Pionus, Quakers, Indian Ringnecks, Green Cheeked Conures, Black Capped Conures, Cockatiels, Lovebirds, Budgies, Canaries, Diamond Doves, Zebra Finches, Society F
Thanked 8,656 Times in 3,532 Posts
SilverSage will become famous soon enough
Re: My first post, few questions about my new bird

Yes it looks like you have a young ARN, for sex you will need to wait or do a DNA test which only costs about $13 in the USA.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
itzjbean (10-11-2019), Laurasea Supporting Member (10-11-2019), Ryansab (10-11-2019)
Old 10-11-2019, 10:51 AM

Quote: Originally Posted by SilverSage View Post
Yes it looks like you have a young ARN, for sex you will need to wait or do a DNA test which only costs about $13 in the USA.

Is the DNA requires feathers samples? she gets very scared if i tried to touch her, the previous owner clipped her wings severely don't know if this's the reason she scared of hand this much, or should I take her to pet smart/petco and they can do it? also, any idea of the age is it less than a year
The Following User Says Thank You to Ryansab For This Useful Post:
Laurasea Supporting Member (10-11-2019)
Old 10-11-2019, 10:53 AM
Parrots:
Eclectus, CAG, BH Pionus, Maximilianís Pionus, Quakers, Indian Ringnecks, Green Cheeked Conures, Black Capped Conures, Cockatiels, Lovebirds, Budgies, Canaries, Diamond Doves, Zebra Finches, Society F

It is most likely less than a year based on the eyes.

Yes the DNA test requires plucked feathers or a blood sample but no petsmart or petco Iíve ever seen will do that for you. If you canít do it yourself your best bet is a vet but be prepared for at least $100 bill.

Laurasea Supporting Member (10-11-2019), Ryansab (10-11-2019)
Old 10-11-2019, 12:37 PM

It is most likely less than a year based on the eyes.

Yes the DNA test requires plucked feathers or a blood sample but no petsmart or petco I’ve ever seen will do that for you. If you can’t do it yourself your best bet is a vet but be prepared for at least $100 bill.

Thanks a lot wish if i found your webpage before, are African ringneck as difficult as Indians, I found good progress with mine within 3 weeks she still fears fingers but not flying around when i try cleaning the cage or filling her food container and keeps on one leg when i'm close to her.

Last edited by Ryansab; 10-11-2019 at 01:02 PM.
Old 10-11-2019, 12:55 PM
Parrots:

I have to admit, Iíve seen them but Iíve never dealt with one in person. Iím really not sure how they compare as pets.

Old 10-11-2019, 02:28 PM

I have to admit, Iíve seen them but Iíve never dealt with one in person. Iím really not sure how they compare as pets.

Any reason why they're not as popular as IRN? not lots of info about them online (is it because they're not as beautiful as Indians?) few articles mentioned they're more friendly as pets but that's it.
Old 10-11-2019, 04:31 PM
Parrots:

If I had to guess I would assume itís a simple matter of colors at the moment. ARNs come only in green, while IRNs come in hundreds of color and pattern combos. If Iíve done my math correctly, even my relatively small flock could be combined different ways to make almost 200 visual possibilities.

Old 10-11-2019, 05:10 PM
Parrots:
Bo, Indian Ringneck; RIP Biddy, budgie, departed 2nd Sept 2018 <3
Aspie_Aviphile is on a distinguished road

I think it's just that when breeders started successfully breeding parrots other than budgerigars and cockatiels, which is only within the last 150 for most species, they must have found IRNs before they found ARNs, because IRNs were already commonly captured and kept as caged birds in their native lands, being especially popular among wealthy and royal Indians whose endorsement no doubt helped increase interest around the world as endorsement by the rich and powerful tends to do for anything.
The Following User Says Thank You to Aspie_Aviphile For This Useful Post:
SilverSage (10-11-2019)
Old 10-11-2019, 09:39 PM
Supporting Member
Parrots:
Yellow Shoulder Amazon, Salty
Thanked 11,030 Times in 4,219 Posts
wrench13 is on a distinguished road

Welcome and be welcomed. Slow and steady is the ticket with taming most parrots, you proceed at their pace and not at the pace of your expectations. Try and make sure you work with her every day. Figure out her favorite treat and that gets used exclusively for taaming and training. Be consistent in your methods, actions and words, so she doent get confused. Patience is the name of the game.

Follow Salty's 109 page lifestory thread:
http://www.parrotforums.com/amazons/...now-salty.html

The Crew:
Salty - YSA - hatched 8/15/15
Geri - Blond haired Queens wife , birthday unknown
Tinker - Cairn terrier, 4/15/08
The Following User Says Thank You to wrench13 For This Useful Post:
Ryansab (10-11-2019)

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Parrot Forum - Parrot Owner's Community > Species Specific > Indian Ringnecks