Seeking advice on retaming hand raised bird

Talven

Banned
Banned
May 4, 2019
Australia
A couple of months ago I aquired a young hand reared bird that had been left neglected for a month or more because it was no longer wanted when they got a new bird and it didn't get along with it.

Lovely young pearl bird (4 - 6months) that was apparently female. Personally I think a male bird given the adept mimicry. I have named him Akoya.

I have been having some issues with him that have left me at a bit of a loss.

He will step up but he has to peck or bite your finger or hand first.

He wants to interact with me and will run to the front of the cage to whistle and chatter. Then run away and run back over and over.

He will come out of the cage, sit on my shoulder without any issues until I start to move away. He starts to panic if he is too far away from his cage or my other cockatiel. He will try to fly away or will visibly shake in fear.

He has a terrible habit that I don't know how to cure. He waits until his tail feathers are fully grown in and the chews them off. Currently his tail is shorter than a love birds.

I would appreciate any tips, advice or ideas that anyone might have.

AmyMyBlueFront

Apr 14, 2015
Media
Connecticut
Parrots
Amy a Blue Front 'Zon
Jonesy a Goffins 'Too who had to be rehomed :-(

And a Normal Grey Cockatiel named BB who came home with me on 5/20/2016.
He/she is young. The nibble/chewing of your fingers is him/her checking out what those "things" are,and are they safe. The coming to you then running away is a game! BB is VERY bonded with me and he plays the same game. I'll open his door and put my finger in,he'll come to it,turn and run away,all the while saying "c'mon..c'mon" this can go on for five minutes before he'll step up. Does the same thing when he is on the floor!

Jim

MonicaMc

Sep 12, 2012
Media
Parrots
Mitred Conure - Charlie 1994;
Cockatiel - Casey 2001;
Wild Caught ARN - Sylphie 2013
He will step up but he has to peck or bite your finger or hand first.

Each time he steps up, give him a treat! Millet is typically a favorite of cockatiels. If he nips, set him down and do not give him a treat.

He wants to interact with me and will run to the front of the cage to whistle and chatter. Then run away and run back over and over.

He may be settling in... saying he wants attention, but at the same time he's afraid of it. Give him time.

He will come out of the cage, sit on my shoulder without any issues until I start to move away. He starts to panic if he is too far away from his cage or my other cockatiel. He will try to fly away or will visibly shake in fear.

If he's not comfortable moving away from his cage, then don't take him away from his cage - for now. Alternatively, if possible, move the cage around the house so he can be "with" you without leaving the comfort of his cage!

He has a terrible habit that I don't know how to cure. He waits until his tail feathers are fully grown in and the chews them off. Currently his tail is shorter than a love birds.

With any luck, it's just baby behavior that he'll grow out of! With the assumption that he's breaking them, not chewing.... if he's actually chewing them, a vet visit wouldn't be a bad idea to rule out any issues. Then make sure he has plenty of ways to forage for food and things to keep his mind busy! Extra baths may help!

OP
T

Talven

Banned
Banned
May 4, 2019
Australia
Well it turns out it's not so much moving away from his cage thats an issue but being away from my other cockatiel. Not that I understand that. She is quite unpleasant towards him. Yesterday he was quite happily out in the lounge on the playgym with my other cockatiel. Was a major step forward for him.

I've had him for a little over a month now so it's been a slow progression. I was starting to think he wasn't making any progress. Until yesterday when he seemed to make a complete liar out of me. Happily stepped up on my hand, quite happy to chat with me while I moved him into the lounge and then happily sat on the play gym and explored it for the first time. All because my other cockatiel was there.

I try to keep them apart as she is somewhat nasty to him. She pecks at his face, bites his toes, pushes him off perches, pushes him away from the food bowls, plucks feathers out of the back of his neck and pretty much eveything else she can to let him know she doesn't like him. Yet he adores her and has to be with her.

Most Reactions