Parrot Forum Header Left  
Go Back   Parrot Forum - Parrot Owner's Community > Species Specific > Congo & Timneh Greys

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-13-2020, 08:51 AM
Parrots:
African Grey
Anjelicahyde is on a distinguished road
Playstand for African Grey

Just thought Id share something were making with you guys as I know you like photos

Weve sourced silver birch and the base is made of surplus kitchen worktop

Sorry, I dont know how to get the image the right way round
Attached Thumbnails
Playstand for African Grey-31a66a20-df98-4776-9c3a-8d3ace6d8236.jpg  
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Anjelicahyde For This Useful Post:
1oldparroter (06-22-2020), AmyMyBlueFront Supporting Member (06-22-2020), BertAllen (06-13-2020)
Old 06-21-2020, 08:48 PM
Parrots:
African gray, 'Toby' and white capped pionus, Max. RIP Bugsie (also a white capped pionus), passed away, she was a seed junkie, only lived for 20 years.
nightfly is on a distinguished road
Re: Playstand for African Grey

I am my bird's playstand!
Only one hint, regarding that, is that after he's chewed up perhaps hundreds of shirts, I decided to put a long steel chain necklace with wooden blocks and a couple of bells on it around my neck. Noisy, and I wind up with bits of wood on me, but he rarely chews my shirts anymore. Home depot sells chain pretty cheap, and if you're unable to slice and drill holes in your own blocks and dye they with food dye, spare already drilled and colored wooden blocks are available on ebay as replacements for commercially available toys.
No guarantee this will work, but if yours is often a 'shoulder bird', it may help.
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to nightfly For This Useful Post:
1oldparroter (06-22-2020), AmyMyBlueFront Supporting Member (06-22-2020), bigfellasdad (06-22-2020)
Old 06-22-2020, 12:43 AM
Parrots:
Enzo - adopted Female CAG circa 2004. A truly amazing young lady!
Thanked 1,519 Times in 664 Posts
bigfellasdad is on a distinguished road

Quote: Originally Posted by nightfly View Post
Only one hint, regarding that, is that after he's chewed up perhaps hundreds of shirts, I decided to put a long steel chain necklace with wooden blocks and a couple of bells on it around my neck. Noisy, and I wind up with bits of wood on me, but he rarely chews my shirts anymore. Home depot sells chain pretty cheap, and if you're unable to slice and drill holes in your own blocks and dye they with food dye, spare already drilled and colored wooden blocks are available on ebay as replacements for commercially available toys.
No guarantee this will work, but if yours is often a 'shoulder bird', it may help.
Lol, I can just picture you, the lengths you have to go to!!
1oldparroter (06-22-2020), AmyMyBlueFront Supporting Member (06-22-2020)
Old 06-22-2020, 08:41 AM
Supporting Vendor
Parrots:
Yoda, Green Cheek Conure - Trigger, Congo African Grey
Thanked 1,813 Times in 567 Posts
Squeekmouse is on a distinguished road

Oh very nice! I gotta have my husband make something like that. Great ideas.
AmyMyBlueFront Supporting Member (06-22-2020)
Old 06-22-2020, 12:56 PM
Supporting Member
Parrots:
Amy a Blue Front 'Zon Jonesy a Goffins 'Too who had to be rehomed :-( And a Normal Grey Cockatiel named BB who came home with me on 5/20/2016.
Thanked 10,498 Times in 3,878 Posts
AmyMyBlueFront is on a distinguished road

Quote: Originally Posted by nightfly View Post
LOL! What is it with Grey's and chewing shirts?? Smokey (r.i.p. Smokes ) would do the same thing. I ended up with a pile of "Smokey shirts" that I only wore when I knew she'd be on my shoulder. For whatever reason,Amy and BB don't touch 'em...

jim

And a Grey 'teil, BB...a.k.a. The Beebs
that was 18 weeks old 5/20/2016,

Rest in peace,my precious Smokey..4/2015 at 28 years young
Old 06-22-2020, 03:38 PM
Supporting Member
Parrots:
Nike a Hawk Head Parrot (Deroptyus accipitrinus)
Thanked 2,625 Times in 865 Posts
bill_e is on a distinguished road

I've refrained from putting together anything like this simply because of the poop issue with anything below the highest perch. How do you guys deal with that?

Nike Picture Thread

Old 06-22-2020, 05:14 PM
Parrots:

Quote: Originally Posted by bill_e View Post
I've refrained from putting together anything like this simply because of the poop issue with anything below the highest perch. How do you guys deal with that?

Puppy training matts. They are large. cheap and recyclable
Old 06-22-2020, 05:44 PM
Supporting Member
Parrots:
Nike a Hawk Head Parrot (Deroptyus accipitrinus)
Thanked 2,625 Times in 865 Posts
bill_e is on a distinguished road

Quote: Originally Posted by bigfellasdad View Post
Quote: Originally Posted by bill_e View Post
Puppy training matts. They are large. cheap and recyclable
Yea, I'm not talking about the floor or the tray, those are there to catch the poop, I'm talking about it getting splashed all over that nice looking wood. It's a pain to clean off and needs to be done often where the floor or a catch tray you just need to change the paper or your lining of choice.

Nike Picture Thread

Old 06-22-2020, 07:02 PM
Parrots:

Sorry Bill, its just constant awareness with wipes for me. If i miss a poop, and it dries, then thats the hard work. On Enzo's java wood stands I use a wire kitchen scrub on any dried bits.
Old 06-27-2020, 02:46 PM
Parrots:
African gray, 'Toby' and white capped pionus, Max. RIP Bugsie (also a white capped pionus), passed away, she was a seed junkie, only lived for 20 years.
nightfly is on a distinguished road

Way back when I had a wood stand, I just used to scrape the 'tree' with one of those universal painter's scrapers

(the kind with the semicircular and pointy parts) to scrape the dried poop off, then take the whole shebang outside and wipe it down with simple green and then hose it all off. I just don't use Simple Green indoors, as the fumes are irritating not just to birds, but to myself as well. Kind of a shame, since it works so well. If you don't like using a scraper, a Black & Decker 'scum buster' with a coarse pad works well, too. The B&D scumbuster has gotten quite expensive (I still have mine from long ago, never seems to wear out), but they make 'generic' versions for a fraction of the price. All use the same batteries and scouring pads regardless of make. Here's the generic one: https://www.amazon.com/Electric-Scru...%2C141&sr=8-11
The Following User Says Thank You to nightfly For This Useful Post:
bigfellasdad (06-29-2020)

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Parrot Forum - Parrot Owner's Community > Species Specific > Congo & Timneh Greys