Protective shoulder cape

bill_e

Supporting Member
Parrot of the Month 🏆
Dec 24, 2015
New Hampshire
Parrots
Nike a Hawk Head Parrot (Deroptyus accipitrinus)
When I ordered this I expected it to be on the small size. I wear XL shirts and I'd say this is about a medium. It's a bit uncomfortable for me around the neck and does not span my shoulders as in the picture but I think I'll keep it to wear when I know I'll need to go out and don.t want to bother with the poop shirt. I may try to put an expander piece of Velcro at the neck.

It would also be good over a tee shirt especially when your baby's nails are a bit sharp.

It's made of a lightweight denim with a cloth liner and a Velcro closure.

16 bucks on Amazon and if it fits you I do think it's worth it. and yes, it come's with the toy though I'm sure that's not bird safe. Some come directly from China and take 3+ weeks to be delivered. The one I purchased mailed from the US.

cape.jpg

Last edited:

SailBoat

Supporting Member
Jul 10, 2015
Western, Michigan
Parrots
DYH Amazon
Hey, it's that time of year! Just wear it open... :D

Nick is clearly evaluating the toy at this point!

Julio would have the clip wide open in moments.

LaManuka

Staff member
Super Moderator
Aug 29, 2018
Media
Albums
Queensland, Australia
Parrots
Fang ({ab}normal grey cockatiel), Valentino (budgie), Jem (cinnamon cockatiel), Lovejoy(varied lorikeet), Peach (princess parrot)
When I ordered this I expected it to be on the small size. I wear XL shirts and I'd say this is about a medium. It's a bit uncomfortable for me around the neck and does not span my shoulders as in the picture but I think I'll keep it to wear when I know I'll need to go out and don.t want to bother with the poop shirt. I may try to put an expander piece of Velcro at the neck.

It would also be good over a tee shirt especially when your baby's nails are a bit sharp.

It's made of a lightweight denim with a cloth liner and a Velcro closure.

16 bucks on Amazon and if it fits you I do think it's worth it. and yes, it come's with the toy though I'm sure that's not bird safe. Some come directly from China and take 3+ weeks to be delivered. The one I purchased mailed from the US.

cape.jpg

Oh I love this photo! Nothing says "loving birdie daddy" like a protective shoulder cape complete with toy hangers! Thanks for the LOL this morning bill :D

fiddlejen

Mar 28, 2019
Media
New England
Parrots
Sunny the Sun Conure (sept '18, gotcha 3/'19). Mr Jefferson Budgie & Mrs Calliope Budgie (albino) (nov'18 & jan'19). Summer 2021 Baby Budgies: Riker (Green); Patchouli, Keye, & Tiny (blue greywings).
Oooh I like the little treat pocket. … I've made myself several shoulder capes from crewneck T's cut in a circle like that one. Mine arejust to protect my neck from birdie-claws when I'm wearing sleeveless shirts, and they serve that purpose well.

If mine had treat pockets like that, I don't think I could resist putting something in there.... and then I would have crumbs & nutriberry-bits all down my whole front (forget the cape!), all the time.

So for me, best I forget that cape. Nice as it looks! ((I do really like it and I'm tempted. But I certainly don't need it so I shall resist.))

Oh, btw, I've learned from my own T-shirt-capes: my Sunny is a prim little birdy who doesn't like her roost dirty. The cape grants her prime real estate in the coveted shoulder location, and she tries her best to keep it clean. In other words, in my experience, shoulder capes produce gymnastic improvements in aim such that the amount of necessary shirt-cleaning remains the same. I hope your cape-results in this regard are better than mine! :)

LaManuka

Staff member
Super Moderator
Aug 29, 2018
Media
Albums
Queensland, Australia
Parrots
Fang ({ab}normal grey cockatiel), Valentino (budgie), Jem (cinnamon cockatiel), Lovejoy(varied lorikeet), Peach (princess parrot)
Not wishing to hijack your thread at all bill (!), but have a look at this pic of my hubby and his dad.

lamanuka-albums-mars-birds-picture21285-img-0358a.jpg

Were you and my father-in-law separated at birth or something???

wrench13

Staff member
Super Moderator
Parrot of the Month 🏆
Nov 22, 2015
Media
Albums
Isle of Long, NY
Parrots
Yellow Shoulder Amazon, Salty
Hard to tell who looks more skepticle at this, Bill or Nike !!

OP
bill_e

bill_e

Supporting Member
Parrot of the Month 🏆
Dec 24, 2015
New Hampshire
Parrots
Nike a Hawk Head Parrot (Deroptyus accipitrinus)
Hard to tell who looks more skeptical at this, Bill or Nike !!
Al, it's a tie. I returned it. Had it been a few inches larger I might have kept it.

I have no issues in the winter because I keep a long sleeve flannel "poop shirt" handy. We keep the house cool in the winter, like 64°, so the shirt is worn over whatever I've got on and serves a dual purpose.

ctwo

May 16, 2019
Parrots
Mango the Indian Ringneck and Peach the Cockatiel; Kiwi found a new home
I was going to ask how you folks deal with shoulder poop. I once had a nice t-shirt collection, but they are now all vented. It's good that I rather enjoy the feel of sharp nails, but sometimes Mango gets me when he's gnawing away.

I tried a hand towel once and Mango had in on the ground in 5 minutes. I think I'd pass on the bib.

Ira7

Banned
Banned
Feb 9, 2020
Coral Springs, FL
Parrots
YNA
I was going to ask how you folks deal with shoulder poop. I once had a nice t-shirt collection, but they are now all vented. It's good that I rather enjoy the feel of sharp nails, but sometimes Mango gets me when he's gnawing away.

I tried a hand towel once and Mango had in on the ground in 5 minutes. I think I'd pass on the bib.

Like I said in my post above, I use a dungaree/denim jacket, and I also have a few denim shirts. I have a huge collection...I get old, cheap ones at Goodwill.

Whenever Archie is going to be shouldered, I put on the “uniform.” He can crap and nibble away all he wants.

I’m trying to teach him to say, “Get the jacket.”

Most Reactions

Latest posts