New guy, let me in I brought beer!

itchyfeet

Nov 1, 2014
Middle Earth
Parrots
Ethyl the cockatiel, Henry & Clarke the IRN's, and Skittles the lovebird (my daughters)
I'm a native Texan. Houston!
Some areas are quite cosmopolitan and international... parts of Dallas and Austin... Galveston Island...
You should all visit!

We've lived life a bit backwards - so when the children leave home, this is exactly how I plan to backpack the world on the cheap...hit up my online friends :rolleyes:;)

Oh, and I actually got my Australian Cattle Dog, Lola, from a breeder outside of Reading, in Intercourse, PA...which is connected to Bird-In-Hand, PA...

I can't make this stuff up...

Too funny, there is also Blue Ball near Philadelphia, and Virginville, north of Reading! :D

I have a whoooole lot more places on that OE's bucket list, too!

noodles123

Jul 11, 2018
Parrots
Umbrella Cockatoo- 15? years old..I think?
Great post-title...totally worked...still waiting for the beer.

I adopted an umbrella cockatoo and I LOVE her, but she is more work than a 2-year-old.

I would just advise that all birds bite and many pick favorites. As long as you and your family are okay with this (and the kids learn to respect the bird) then you will probably be okay.

My uncle had a Timneh African Grey when I was a kid and we all knew not to touch it. Due to changes in bird laws (and his youthful naivety) he bought a wild-caught bird in the early 80's for very little. Now, obviously we know this is wrong and bad etc, but the bird lived for 30+ years before succumbing to ABV. Over time, the bird really blossomed and trusted me etc, but my uncles daughter never recovered from the time he literally pierced her ear out of anger/jealousy. Now, are they perfect behavior analysts? No...but can birds get crazy? Yes. Just remember that a bird is UNLIKE ANY PET YOU HAVE HAD AND NEEDS TO BE INCLUDED! :)

OP
B

Bdubbs

Jul 13, 2018
Ellicott City MD
Yea, cockatoos aren’t even on my list. I’m not a white bird fan and the horror stories just won’t stop, but then you see videos of happy full feathered birds in homes and have to wonder what went wrong with all the rest? We have 2 dogs that sleep in my boy’s rooms and and are constantly with us so I get what you mean about being included. It’s a social animal so you have to assume it’s going to go downhill if you isolate it. I’m more worried about the parrot if and when we get one settling on me and hating the rest of the family. I don’t know that I’m willing to have a bird that’s constantly wanting to attack the family. I’m still waiting on 2 rescues to call me back about volunteering so hopefully I can spend some non-pet shop time with some different parrots but I’ve been watching a lot of cockatiel videos lately and trying to compare them to conures And pionus. So far the cockatiel looks like the best option. I’ve got to do some more research on how owning more than one changes the dynamic with the human. Thanks for the advice!

Scott

Supporting Member
Aug 21, 2010
San Diego, California USA, Earth, Milky Way Galaxy
Parrots
Goffins: Gabby, Abby, Squeaky, Peanut, Popcorn / Citron: Alice / Eclectus: Angel /Timneh Grey: ET / Blue Fronted Amazon: Gonzo /

RIP Gandalf and Big Bird, you are missed.
Yea, cockatoos aren’t even on my list. I’m not a white bird fan and the horror stories just won’t stop, but then you see videos of happy full feathered birds in homes and have to wonder what went wrong with all the rest? We have 2 dogs that sleep in my boy’s rooms and and are constantly with us so I get what you mean about being included. It’s a social animal so you have to assume it’s going to go downhill if you isolate it. I’m more worried about the parrot if and when we get one settling on me and hating the rest of the family. I don’t know that I’m willing to have a bird that’s constantly wanting to attack the family. I’m still waiting on 2 rescues to call me back about volunteering so hopefully I can spend some non-pet shop time with some different parrots but I’ve been watching a lot of cockatiel videos lately and trying to compare them to conures And pionus. So far the cockatiel looks like the best option. I’ve got to do some more research on how owning more than one changes the dynamic with the human. Thanks for the advice!

Cockatoos are an acquired taste, and I've got six; one Citron and 5 Goffins. Honestly, it is easier with a "flock" as they spend plenty of time in various groups.

TiredOldMan

Apr 24, 2018
Media
South Central Texas
Parrots
CAG Hen-Gracie age unknown, U2 Rooster-Anakin 13YO

Cockatoos are an acquired taste, and I've got six; one Citron and 5 Goffins. Honestly, it is easier with a "flock" as they spend plenty of time in various groups.

Oh boy!. A true glutton for punishment.:white1::D

LaManuka

Staff member
Super Moderator
Aug 29, 2018
Media
Albums
Queensland, Australia
Parrots
Fang ({ab}normal grey cockatiel), Valentino (budgie), Jem (cinnamon cockatiel), Lovejoy(varied lorikeet), Peach (princess parrot)
TiredOldMan you’re hilarious! I’m reading this thread whilst on the couch with baby Quaker ScoMo preening my hair for me (will probably have a helluva time getting the knots out later but that’s a “then” problem!) and having a good giggle at your comments :) Thanks for that because it’s been a tough few weeks having had a death in the birdie fam. And now ScoMo is putting holes in my clothes and just went poop on me - the things we put up with!

TiredOldMan

Apr 24, 2018
Media
South Central Texas
Parrots
CAG Hen-Gracie age unknown, U2 Rooster-Anakin 13YO
TiredOldMan you’re hilarious! I’m reading this thread whilst on the couch with baby Quaker ScoMo preening my hair for me (will probably have a helluva time getting the knots out later but that’s a “then” problem!) and having a good giggle at your comments :) Thanks for that because it’s been a tough few weeks having had a death in the birdie fam. And now ScoMo is putting holes in my clothes and just went poop on me - the things we put up with!

Thank you for letting me know.

It is really nice to know I can bring some joy into another's life with my brand of insanity.;)

I mean it. Your post made an otherwise dismal day a delight.:)

imemi

Aug 19, 2018
Australia
Parrots
1 Male eclectus
Welcome welcome!
I'm a new ekkie owner, did the research...got the bird...realised I knew nothing still.
As was previously stated, each bird is very much an individual and while we fell in love with Spaz's dad Spaz is a whole new bird. A very beautiful lovely affectionate bird who requires the care I'm lucky to provide him every single day. But I am asking all the questions and sound like a total noob because you don't consider every tiny thing from how their poop looks to whether your native trees are good for them to if his cries are normal.
You can never ever read enough on the bird you want to get. Sounds like you're going about it the right way, looking to volunteer and everything.

I prefer an IPA as far as beer goes, it seems Spaz (The Ekkie) wants a Porter (He literally tried to steal one on Friday, so be wary of your alcohol if you do get one.)
Now i'm having fun figuring out if I'm doing it all perfect or not.

Good luck on your search for the perfect bird!

Most Reactions