Question about solid air freshener

gibson2503

Jul 11, 2013
Media
Indiana
Parrots
Apollo (8 years old Sunday conure), and Ari (7 years old jenday conure) and Cosmo 9 years old goffins cockatoo). All DNA tested females.
This is about those solid air fresheners that you twist the plastic cover up to expose it. Is it ok if I put them in my bathroom but keep the bathroom door closed and keep my birds out of the bathroom? My birds do spend time in a room that shares a door with the bathroom.

noodles123

Jul 11, 2018
Parrots
Umbrella Cockatoo- 15? years old..I think?
This is about those solid air fresheners that you twist the plastic cover up to expose it. Is it ok if I put them in my bathroom but keep the bathroom door closed and keep my birds out of the bathroom? My birds do spend time in a room that shares a door with the bathroom.

I would not....They are chemicals and you don't want any extra chemicals in the air (given the air quality of human homes already). If you want something in your bathroom, you could get some natural soap with a stronger smell, but even that isn't 100% safe because if you can smell it, there is the potential for irritation. Reportedly, F10 now has an avian safe air freshener (and I trust their products) but it isn't widely available yet. <-------EDIT : PLEASE DO NOT ASSUME THAT THE F10 AIR FRESHENER IS SAFE---I am now having doubts myself lol. I need to look into it further!

Last edited:

Kiwibird

Jul 12, 2012
Parrots
1 BFA- Kiwi. Hatch circa 98', forever home with us Dec. 08'
As a human with chemical sensitivities, those things are every bit as bad as the spray kind in terms of my eyes and nose burning. I hate restrooms with any variety of artificial scents (which is virtually all, public or in other peoples homes) as it lights my respiratory tract on fire. Canโ€™t imagine how theyโ€™d affect a bird! I wouldnโ€™t use them around birds. And do NOT use that F10 stuff mentioned in another comment! It is scented with PINE oil which is toxic to birds!

We have a small plug in scent warmer in the bathroom https://www.target.com/p/plug-in-fr...-scents-by-chesapeake-bay-candle/-/A-21443406 We simply turn it on in the morning and off at night and clean out the oil dish weekly (in the middle of the week, we add a few extra drops). We use about a tbsp of coconut oil as a carrier oil and 10-20 drops of essential oil in it (avoid mints, pine, eucalyptus and tea tree oils). Some good bird friendly oils would be lavender, citrus, sage, jasmine, patchouli, ylang ylang, frankinsense or rose (Iโ€™m sure Iโ€™m missing a few, but thatโ€™s a good list to pick one from). Be sure you buy 100% pure essential oil and NOT fragrance oil. Essential oils will come in small brown or blue glass bottles and likely cost $10-$30. Anything in a plastic bottle or that is really cheap is likely fragrance oil and should never be used around birds. Usually a health food store is the best place to buy essential oils to be sure they are actual essential oils. I would not use complex combinations of oils, just one or 2. I know some people wonโ€™t use even essential oils around their birds, but Iโ€™ve never had issues with using oils not known for irritating their respiratory tracts. I, of course, do not use them in close proximity of my bird.

Last edited:

itzjbean

Jan 27, 2017
Media
Iowa, USA
Parrots
2 cockatiels
Honestly I think it would be okay. I use Glade plug-ins in my home and I have never had an issue with my birds from them and it's been years...

We have other pets too and the house will just smell otherwise.

An alternative if you still aren't sure would be boiling cimmaon sticks, I've heard people do this but it would be in the kitchen and it smells nice and not harmful to birds.

dhraiden

Jul 14, 2015
Queens NY
Parrots
Green Cheek Conure (Mochi)
Gold Capped Conure (Mango)
If it is in another room, and not directly adjacent to your birds, and not directly vaporizing or burning down or producing fumes in any other way, and you keep your birds out of the bathroom, with the door CLOSED...it is fine.

noodles123

Jul 11, 2018
Parrots
As a human with chemical sensitivities, those things are every bit as bad as the spray kind in terms of my eyes and nose burning. I hate restrooms with any variety of artificial scents (which is virtually all, public or in other peoples homes) as it lights my respiratory tract on fire. Canโ€™t imagine how theyโ€™d affect a bird! I wouldnโ€™t use them around birds. And do NOT use that F10 stuff mentioned in another comment! It is scented with PINE oil which is toxic to birds!

We have a small plug in scent warmer in the bathroom https://www.target.com/p/plug-in-fr...-scents-by-chesapeake-bay-candle/-/A-21443406 We simply turn it on in the morning and off at night and clean out the oil dish weekly (in the middle of the week, we add a few extra drops). We use about a tbsp of coconut oil as a carrier oil and 10-20 drops of essential oil in it (avoid mints, pine, eucalyptus and tea tree oils). Some good bird friendly oils would be lavender, citrus, sage, jasmine, patchouli, ylang ylang, frankinsense or rose (Iโ€™m sure Iโ€™m missing a few, but thatโ€™s a good list to pick one from). Be sure you buy 100% pure essential oil and NOT fragrance oil. Essential oils will come in small brown or blue glass bottles and likely cost $10-$30. Anything in a plastic bottle or that is really cheap is likely fragrance oil and should never be used around birds. Usually a health food store is the best place to buy essential oils to be sure they are actual essential oils. I would not use complex combinations of oils, just one or 2. I know some people wonโ€™t use even essential oils around their birds, but Iโ€™ve never had issues with using oils not known for irritating their respiratory tracts. I, of course, do not use them in close proximity of my bird.

Are you sure they are real pine oils? That is the thing...I mean, that company is famous for bird-safe products, so are we sure that the "pine" scent is indeed pine? I am not sure one way or the other...It may be some sort of safe/synthetic formula. Again, I have never used it, but they are known for the safety of their avian line...I agree pine is certainly an unsafe oil.<-------EDIT : PLEASE DO NOT ASSUME THAT THE F10 AIR FRESHENER IS SAFE---I am now having doubts myself lol. I need to look into it further!

I will strongly contest the statement that lavender and other essential oils are safe for birds. They enter the blood-stream when inhaled, which is why aromatherapy in humans works. They have legitimate impacts on the nervous system and pets and children can overdose from oil used in diffusers (my natural oils actually even have a warning on them---it is medicine)...On top of that, there is the fact that the oil is getting diffused into the air and entering the lungs....not safe in my opinion. There hasn't been much research on it, but consequently it is very hard to know what long-term damage these oils may do to a bird.

Last edited:

Kiwibird

Jul 12, 2012
Parrots
1 BFA- Kiwi. Hatch circa 98', forever home with us Dec. 08'
Itโ€™s up to each person to determine what risks they are or are not willing to take with birds. Many people still wash their clothes in scented detergents, use beauty and personal care products that are scented (artificially) and think nothing of it. Using select essential oils in areas not near your bird is probably the least harmful way to add pleasant scents to your home IMO. I recommend scent warmers over diffusers because the method of scent delivery IS different. Aromatherapy diffusers actually spray oil into the air and disperse over a wide area. If you use tap water in them, they will also disperse any dissolved solids in the water. Wax warmers when used with a carrier and essential oils do release some amount of particulates into the air, but far less than a diffuser and not over as wide an area. Also, the heat drastically reduces any therapeutic qualities of most essential oils, which is why they recommend you not use scent warmers for aromatherapy. I think we have butted heads on this issue before and will be unlikely to agree. One thing Iโ€™m sure we can agree on is that of those solid gel bathroom things though is almost certainly toxic to birds and humans.

The F10 product is in fact unsafe and not a scented air freshener at all. EllenD breaks down why in this thread:

http://www.parrotforums.com/general-parrot-information/80031-finally-air-freshener.html

Last edited:

noodles123

Jul 11, 2018
Parrots
Honestly I think it would be okay. I use Glade plug-ins in my home and I have never had an issue with my birds from them and it's been years...

An alternative if you still aren't sure would be boiling cimmaon sticks, I've heard people do this but it would be in the kitchen and it smells nice and not harmful to birds.

Glade Plug-ins make me sick and I know that we are strictly banned from using them within a public school (anywhere- in any classroom within a large district) due to children with asthma. I would suggest removing these...seriously...Also, an "illegal" dripping plug-in ate a hole in the floor of a nearby room (within less than 24 hours)...we are talking a solid inch-- I kid you not.

Last edited:

Littleredbeak

May 27, 2020
Typically you don't see a problem until you have it. Those air "fresheners" have harmful effects for human health I can only imagine the damage it does to birds
. Just because you don't see an immediate effect doesn't mean there isn't one. Look up the ingredients look at what those chemicals mean. If you must use something look into pure 100% organic essentials oils. They are sometimes used in holistic medicine for birds. You have to be careful about which ones you use because not all are safe.

In this day and in age where information is literally at our fingers tips- it's scary at how many people are using chemical air fresheners in their homes....

If it's not safe for your health it's definitely not safe for your birds.

In my opinion (in general and not directed at Op) we chose to bring a bird into our home and life. The very least we can do is create an non toxic environment to the best of our ability. I have an IQ air purifier. I wash my clothes in unscented detergent and add vinegar. I clean with vinegar. I nolonger burn candles (man I miss those but not as much as I love my birds) and I nolonger put perfume on indoors (when I wear it I spray it outdoors and take a shower when I get home). And for the the things I can't get rid or things beyond my control I have the IQ air. I am still learning about my own health and my birds. And we are human and make mistakes and it's a shame when others are harmed on our learning curve.

Last edited:

Flboy

Dec 28, 2014
Greater Orlando area, Florida
Parrots
JoJo, 'Special' GCC, Bongo, Cinnamon GCC(wife's)

My son smokes cigarettes! For 24 years so far, no issues! Or bird has a cuddle hut, no issues! We always sleep with our bird, no issues!
Absolutely, this is an irritating rebuttal!
Real life, we have an acquaintance, a real bird lady, who lives near us. Adding to her flock, she plugged in two extra Glade fresheners. She woke up to a room full of dead birds!
I, also, canโ€™t be in a room with these without feeling my throat closing!

Zoruace

Sep 21, 2021
Media
Albums
My son smokes cigarettes! For 24 years so far, no issues! Or bird has a cuddle hut, no issues! We always sleep with our bird, no issues!
Absolutely, this is an irritating rebuttal!
Real life, we have an acquaintance, a real bird lady, who lives near us. Adding to her flock, she plugged in two extra Glade fresheners. She woke up to a room full of dead birds!
I, also, canโ€™t be in a room with these without feeling my throat closing!
thought you were serious in the first part-
but i tottaly agree!

ฯฮนgฯฮนzฯ…

Oct 25, 2021
Indiana
Parrots
โ‹†โœง ๐’ซ๐“Š๐“‚๐“…๐“€๐’พ๐“ƒ ~ ๐น๐‘’๐“‚๐’ถ๐“๐‘’ ๐’œ๐“‚๐‘’๐“‡๐’พ๐’ธ๐’ถ๐“ƒ ๐’ฎ๐’ฝโ™ก๐“‡๐“‰๐’ฝ๐’ถ๐’พ๐“‡๐‘’๐’น ๐’ข๐“Š๐’พ๐“ƒ๐‘’๐’ถ-๐“…๐’พ๐‘”

๐’ซ๐‘’๐’ถ๐“ƒ๐“Š๐“‰ ~ ๐‘€๐’ถ๐“๐‘’ ๐’œ๐“‚๐‘’๐“‡๐’พ๐’ธ๐’ถ๐“ƒ ๐’ฎ๐’ฝ๐Ÿฌ๐“‡๐“‰๐’ฝ๐’ถ๐’พ๐“‡๐‘’๐’น ๐’ข๐“Š๐’พ๐“ƒ๐‘’๐’ถ-๐“…๐’พ๐‘” โœงโ‹†
I wouldn't use any scented stuff around any animals as the chemicals are harmful!

Littleredbeak

May 27, 2020
You also have to ask yourself how long you want your bird to live for. The use of any of those air fragrances is affecting their health whether you see it or not. I want my birds to live as long as possible. And rather not wake up to a dead bird because I wanted an artificial smell

People smoke and are fine until they aren't. People exposed to toxic fumes are fine until they aren't.

Sorry this thread really bothered me with how many bird owners are actively using fragrances. It hurts my heart. Please do research if you don't believe me look into the chemicals and the effect those chemicals have our bodies.

Most Reactions

Latest posts