Is it normal or there is a bigger problem?

Meriem

Jan 3, 2020
Hello guys. I come to you with another problem today.

I have 2 budgies i had them for 2 months now. They seemed bonded and everything. They sleep together they feed and play with each other. I am not attempting breeding them yet they are too young maybe in a year or two still i noticed that my female budgie is less fluffy and she sheds alot of feathers while the male seems fine. her chest area is getting lighter with feathers. And today i noticed that he is hitting her. And it seemed painful like i heard his beak hitting her. I don't know if he is playing hard or trying to feed her or he is aggressive and stressing her and she is plucking her feathers.

Could the shop i got them from gave me two males and they r agressive toward each other?

She is older and larger than him in size.

Should i seperate them for her sake or what should i do?.

Laurasea

Aug 2, 2018
USA
Parrots
Full house
If you can post pictures that can help.

Males in breeding pairs can be agressive to their mate.

LaManuka

Staff member
Super Moderator
Aug 29, 2018
Media
Albums
Queensland, Australia
Parrots
Fang ({ab}normal grey cockatiel), Valentino (budgie), Jem (cinnamon cockatiel), Lovejoy(varied lorikeet), Peach (princess parrot)
Do you know how old your budgies are? Bear in mind that budgies are able to breed from the age of about 6 or 7 months so although you may not be ready to breed them yet, they may have other ideas!

Do your budgies get out-of-cage time at all? It may be best to have separate cages for them particularly if one is showing aggression towards the other.

OP
M

Meriem

Jan 3, 2020
Do you know how old your budgies are? Bear in mind that budgies are able to breed from the age of about 6 or 7 months so although you may not be ready to breed them yet, they may have other ideas!

Do your budgies get out-of-cage time at all? It may be best to have separate cages for them particularly if one is showing aggression towards the other.

The male is around 5 months and the femalr is older than 6 months. I don't know their exact age i bought them from a breeder who kept his birds in horrible conditions and just wanted to kind of save them.

They dont get out of cage time bcz they dont trust me yet as i said they werent kept well I just got them to recognise other kind of foods other than seed mixes.

LaManuka

Staff member
Super Moderator
Aug 29, 2018
Media
Albums
Queensland, Australia
Parrots
Fang ({ab}normal grey cockatiel), Valentino (budgie), Jem (cinnamon cockatiel), Lovejoy(varied lorikeet), Peach (princess parrot)
Parrots experiencing their first flush of pubescent hormones can become unexpectedly aggressive. It happened to my cockatiel Fang when he became extremely aggressive towards my then female cockatiel Twinkle, it’s a chemical thing that they have no control over and can be dangerous. You may be best to cage them separately, for safety’s sake and also to prevent any unwanted hanky panky!

OP
M

Meriem

Jan 3, 2020
Should i keep both cages in the same room or should i seperate them?

LaManuka

Staff member
Super Moderator
Aug 29, 2018
Media
Albums
Queensland, Australia
Parrots
You can keep them side by side in the same room, so they can still see each other and interact. It just means they each have their own space if tempers get heated.

Most Reactions

Latest posts