African Grey and Amazon Rescue

AbbeyGeorge

Feb 14, 2020
HI
We are lucky enough to have two rescue birds that are absolutely fantastic. When they arrived they were frightened and scared. We wee told we would never be able to handle them. Forward seven years and they are both adorable characters and a bonus to the house. The are clipped but have freedom to wander around the hose as they please.
One thing we have not been able to work out is the fascination Abbey (Grey) has with the toilet. Any chance she gets she is at the door barging her way in. If the door wont open she will tap and chew until she is allowed in. It is the only door she chews. Once inside she wanders around and then comes out. Has anyone come across this behavior before. Thank you

Tami2

Aug 18, 2017
New Jersey
Parrots
Levi - 6 yr old CAG

DOH-4/2/2016
Hello AbbeyGeorge and welcome to the PFs.

My Levi is obsessed with the BR at our cabin. My husband has put thick angled cardboard to protect the door frame. He is also obsessed with tape and the tape gun. He will fly over and try to get it every time. I have to use it when he is not around or it's a problem. Even when I am trying my best to be incognito, smarty-pants always figures it out.

Here's a good read:
http://www.parrotforums.com/congo-timneh-greys/59366-cag-101-a.html

Good Luck! :)

SailBoat

Supporting Member
Jul 10, 2015
Western, Michigan
Parrots
DYH Amazon
So very well stated above. I have long ago given-up on the why's and have come to simply accept that it as the way it is...

Our DYH Amazon was likely a mechanical engineer or a mechanic in his past life as he obtains great joy in disassembly things... And, with foraging toys, if it is above a specific 'level' of time /reward, he finds a very high place to drop it from and moves on to other activities.

Scott

Supporting Member
Aug 21, 2010
San Diego, California USA, Earth, Milky Way Galaxy
Parrots
Goffins: Gabby, Abby, Squeaky, Peanut, Popcorn / Citron: Alice / Eclectus: Angel /Timneh Grey: ET / Blue Fronted Amazon: Gonzo /

RIP Gandalf and Big Bird, you are missed.
That's a rather interesting fascination! Seems Abbey is more interested in inspecting than hanging out - a good thing!! Only caution is to ensure the toilet lid is kept down to cover the water; birds can drown if caught in the water. If she is a chewer, be aware of potentially poisonous substances.

Laurasea

Aug 2, 2018
USA
Parrots
Full house
Welcome to the forum. Thanks for championing the rescue and re-homed!!

bigfellasdad

Sep 21, 2017
Media
NorthWest England
Parrots
Enzo - adopted Female CAG circa 2004. A truly amazing young lady!
Well done for rehoming :)

Strangley, Enzo my CAG loves to go in to the toilet/shower room, she will spend hours in there on the top of the glass shower 'surround'. She also is fascinated with behind the toilet which is not good and ive had to box it up! I always find her fascination strange as its the smallest room in the house and with frosted windows she cant even see outside clearly, these CAGs are strange creatures arent they :D

wrench13

Staff member
Super Moderator
Parrot of the Month 🏆
Nov 22, 2015
Media
Albums
Isle of Long, NY
Parrots
Yellow Shoulder Amazon, Salty
Welcome and be welcomed. Kudos for adopting 2 of these souls.

Conurecorner

Mar 1, 2020
This gives me a lot of hope, if I decide to adopt another bird. Im still discussing it and thinking about. So glad, you were patient and that is quite the fascination with the toilet. Your birds sound like there is never a dull moment with them��

Most Reactions