Warm Weather

fiddlejen

Mar 28, 2019
Media
New England
Parrots
Sunny the Sun Conure (sept '18, gotcha 3/'19). Mr Jefferson Budgie & Mrs Calliope Budgie (albino) (nov'18 & jan'19). Summer 2021 Baby Budgies: Riker (Green); Patchouli, Keye, & Tiny (blue greywings).
So with the summer, when leaving the house I have set the air conditioner in the room with birdies on the "Auto-PowerSaver" usually leaving it for the low 80's (F). But with the threat of severe thunderstorms I am always nervous (having lost 2 TV's to power surges from storms), and not prepared to purchase new airconditioners right now etc. Today the forecast was for mid-80's outside, with lightning storms, and I just left the airconditioners OFF. Now I'm worried it may have gotten a bit warmer than forecast. Although hopefully my house will stay a little behind outside temps, and I will put the air on when I get home.

Anyway. What is the reasonable safe temperature range for Sun Conure?

I read somewhere that there are many parrot breeders in the south, ie Florida etc, so was assuming that low 90's must be okay occasionally. But am I correct about that? :confused:

SailBoat

Supporting Member
Jul 10, 2015
Western, Michigan
Parrots
DYH Amazon
Temperature is a dangerous thing to play with for both Humans and Parrots. With both, they become comfortable with the normal temperature (high /low range). A rapid change in either direction is problematic.

Over a normal year in your area, the temperature is coldest in the Winter and hottest in the Summer. Birds adjust the volume of body feathers and downy feathers adding more in the Winter and losing more in the Summer.
In the Summer, a rapid spike in temperature is dangerous, because the bird cannot adjust fast enough and they overheat. A Parrot that is holding its wings away from its body and panting is seriously overheated.
During any Summer, the mass of body and downy feathers on a Parrot in Florida is much smaller than a Parrot in New England as it is commonly hotter in Florida.

This year, the swinging temperatures of Summer in the North has both Humans and Birds suffering. If you have an air conditioner, use it!!!
Surge Protection Stripes are common between the electrical wall outlet and the air conditioner! They are reasonably priced for the protection they offer! Your local Hardware Store or Big Box Stores carry them!!! Remember, you will need to know the amp (watts) requirements of your air condition to properly select the Surge Stripe! Always look for a heavy gauge wire and plug on the surge protector. This is one of those items that you get what you pay for! Buy a cheap one and it could be little more than a on/off switch.

Basic cautions on directing the stream of cool air away from your Parrots!

Last edited:

Most Reactions

Latest posts