Parrot Forum Header Left  
Go Back   Parrot Forum - Parrot Owner's Community > Species Specific > Budgies/Parakeets

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-08-2019, 09:54 AM
joevam is on a distinguished road
Question Have 2 Males & 1 Female - Need another Female?

I have had these birds for about 3 months now. I have 1 Female and 2 Males. The female is showing preference for one of the males. I am NOT planning on breeding. If I think the other male is lonely -- do I need to get another female? because I don't want the other two to ignore the other male.
Thoughts?
Experiences?
Old 08-08-2019, 04:47 PM
Parrots:
Albino Cockatiel (Ghost) Green Cheek Conure (Echo) Pineapple Green Cheek Conure (Ari)
Talven is on a distinguished road
Re: Have 2 Males & 1 Female - Need another Female?

Female budgies are by far more cranky than males. If it's just for companionship I'd separate the pair and get another male. That way the paired birds aren't going to attack the other bird/s for getting to close to their partner. Still I'm no budgie expert. Hopefully someone with more experience will have more to add.
Old 08-09-2019, 09:29 AM
Parrots:
6 budgies, 2 cockatiels, and two Indian ringnecks
Smerft85 is on a distinguished road
Re: Have 2 Males & 1 Female - Need another Female?

The question is, do YOU want an additional bird? Chances are if you never introduce a nest box they will become a tight little 3some, my budgies show preference, but are all bonded as a 6 bird flock, and I can only say for sure two of my six are male, the other four I have no clue. I would say unless a new bird is to satisfy yourself, I wouldn't really change a thing if no one is going into full fights, squabbles are a normal thing.

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Parrot Forum - Parrot Owner's Community > Species Specific > Budgies/Parakeets