Parrot Forum Header Left  
Go Back   Parrot Forum - Parrot Owner's Community > Community > Questions and Answers

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-09-2019, 11:56 PM
Parrots:
Cairo the Ekkie!
Thanked 1,894 Times in 591 Posts
charmedbyekkie is on a distinguished road
Re: How much noise can I make at night to not disturb my parrot's sleep?

This is very dependent on the bird. We actually set up an infrared camera to keep on eye on Cairo as we had this same question. In pitch black darkness (we put a blanket over his cage), sudden suddens definitely wake him up, but videos/audio with a consistent level are ok - he doesn't stir. Now that all does change if there's light going into his cage, he stirs more easily to any sound if there's a little bit of light.

Thinking about it, in the wild, it isn't perfectly quiet at night either - the ambient sound of other creatures at night is there. And considering they sleep in the wild, I'd imagine they'd wake up periodically through the night as well.

The way we approached it was like a human baby. If you train a baby to sleep in pitch darkness with no sound, that's what they'll need as child in order to sleep well. If you condition a baby to sleep around other sounds, they'll likely be able to sleep through most sounds. So while we didn't make such a din at night, we also tried to balance the sound exposure around him.

*He grew up in a Malay-speaking family, so we have to respect his name and preferred pronunciation

@cairothedino on Instagram
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to charmedbyekkie For This Useful Post:
Aspie_Aviphile (08-12-2019), Flboy Supporting Member (08-10-2019)
Old 08-10-2019, 02:17 AM
Parrots:
Callum- Green cheek conure Hatchday: October 15th, 2016 Pidgey - Budgie, female. Approx. Hatchday: 2017 R.I.P. my little Burd. You now rest with Camaro.
CallumConure is on a distinguished road

I'm a night owl as well. When it's time for Callum to go to bed, I turn out the lights and stay relatively quiet for him. I have rats in my bedroom, so my room is never completely silent, but he sleeps through it just fine.

I know Callum sleeps well because he wakes up in the morning, stares at me, then screams at me to get up. Then continues with that energy for the rest of the day.
Old 08-10-2019, 02:17 AM
Parrots:
Callum- Green cheek conure Hatchday: October 15th, 2016 Pidgey - Budgie, female. Approx. Hatchday: 2017 R.I.P. my little Burd. You now rest with Camaro.
CallumConure is on a distinguished road

I'm a night owl as well. When it's time for Callum to go to bed, I turn out the lights and stay relatively quiet for him. I have rats in my bedroom, so my room is never completely silent, but he sleeps through it just fine.

I know Callum sleeps well because he wakes up in the morning, stares at me, then screams at me to get up. Then continues with that energy for the rest of the day.

EDIT: Sorry for the double post. Internet lagged and I guess I posted twice. Apologies!
Old 08-10-2019, 04:00 AM
Parrots:
2 Rosy Bourke's parrots
buurd is on a distinguished road

Quote: Originally Posted by Kiwibird View Post
I dunno, our amazon is in the living room and we make no special arrangements after the covers go on to be extra quiet. He even puts himself to bed when he's ready for the covers, waddles in his house and closes the door behind himself then makes a few squawks. He sleeps fine. Birds are highly adaptable animals and get used to the environment they happen to live in. The jungle isn't silent at night, after all (nor pitch black, depending on the moon). As long as you aren't having a raging party or watching TV on a super loud volume, your bird will adapt and be fine. If you get him used to sleeping in pitch black and total silence though (such as being put in another room), then he'll struggle with ever sleeping in any less than perfect environment. I strongly disagree with sleep cages and moving birds to other rooms to sleep. A thick cage cover and consistent bedtime/bedtime routine is more effective and natural IMO.
I pretty much agree with this. I would also say that, changes in volume, like if you're watching action adventure or playing games, or people yelling or screaming would probably bother a bird. I would guess that some birds vary in temperament, and in what they are used to, as well. Doing things out of the ordinary are going to upset them. Music can stimulate them. I've turned music on (low vol) before, and they have gotten up to sing softly with it.
You can also pretty much tell when your bird is bothered, because they will raise their voice and it will sound sharp, like they are 'barking' at you, like, 'Hey Idiot; Im tryna sleep!'
The Following User Says Thank You to buurd For This Useful Post:
Flboy Supporting Member (08-10-2019)

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Parrot Forum - Parrot Owner's Community > Community > Questions and Answers

Tags
sleep