Parrot Forum Header Left  
Go Back   Parrot Forum - Parrot Owner's Community > Community > Questions and Answers

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-10-2019, 04:19 AM
Parrots:
Golden-Capped Parakeet
decu888 is on a distinguished road
Question What is this?

When I've taken her (golden capped parakeet) from my grandma I've noticed that she has some sort of ring? This didn't really bother anyone until I've noticed that she scratches a lot near that area. The ring is too small to get off, should I go to a vet to try and remove it? What was it's purpose in the first place?
Attached Thumbnails
What is this?-img_20190810_120925.jpg   What is this?-img_20190810_121852.jpg  

Last edited by decu888; 08-10-2019 at 04:35 AM.
The Following User Says Thank You to decu888 For This Useful Post:
SailBoat Supporting Member (08-10-2019)
Old 08-10-2019, 06:39 AM
Parrots:
1 BFA- Kiwi. Hatch circa 98', forever home with us Dec. 08'
Thanked 16,577 Times in 6,432 Posts
Kiwibird will become famous soon enough
Re: What is this?

Breeders put bands on birds when they are newly hatched they then grow into and cannot be removed except by a vet. It is basically there to prove the bird is captive bred and was not illegally wild caught. Some older parrots may still have bands placed on them in government quarantine facilities back when importing wild caughts was legal. While many birds live their entire lives having no issues with their band, if your bird is picking at it or it seems to be causing discomfort, have the vet remove it.

While it’s wise to document the band was at one point on the bird, don’t sweat it too much if you can’t get a good photo of the number, the photos you have are fine and the vet can note the number of the band before removal in vet records too. Plenty of birds don’t have bands and the government isn’t going to come steal your bird for not having a band. If grandma still has paperwork from when she purchased the bird, you should get that from her and keep in a safe place along with the removed band. My mom actually still has the long removed plastic band her wild caught amazon got in USDA quarantine in the 1970s! Since my bird was an unbanded rescue I paid a lady cash for, all I have is vet records going back the 10+ years I’ve owned him, at least proving I had him before the new CITES regulations went into effect, but no documentation otherwise.
Old 08-10-2019, 06:47 AM
Supporting Member
Parrots:
JoJo, 'Special' GCC, Bongo, Cinnamon GCC(wife's)
Thanked 10,183 Times in 4,937 Posts
Flboy is on a distinguished road

Hi, that is an id band! They are very common, but many vets recommend removing them. In many areas outside the USA, they are required by law!
If you have it removed, make sure your vet knows what they are doing!
decu888 (08-10-2019), SailBoat Supporting Member (08-10-2019)
Old 08-10-2019, 07:23 AM
Parrots:
Golden-Capped Parakeet
Talking Re: What is this?

thanks! I'll consult my vet about it.
The Following User Says Thank You to decu888 For This Useful Post:
SailBoat Supporting Member (08-10-2019)
Old 08-10-2019, 01:46 PM
Supporting Member
Parrots:
JoJo, 'Special' GCC, Bongo, Cinnamon GCC(wife's)
Thanked 10,183 Times in 4,937 Posts
Flboy is on a distinguished road

I say to make sure they know what they are doing- I came across someone yesterday who’s vet was removing a band from their GCC’s leg. After 15 minutes, the vet comes back in the room with bird, with band still on! He then told her, "you will have to take him to the emergency vet to have this removed, but don’t worry, we stopped the bleeding!" This is a little GCC, the band is visibly loose! They were using a wire saw to try to cut it!
In your photo, that band looks snug!
buurd (08-11-2019), decu888 (08-11-2019)
Old 08-10-2019, 03:45 PM
Parrots:
Golden-Capped Parakeet

Quote: Originally Posted by Flboy View Post
I say to make sure they know what they are doing- I came across someone yesterday who’s vet was removing a band from their GCC’s leg. After 15 minutes, the vet comes back in the room with bird, with band still on! He then told her, "you will have to take him to the emergency vet to have this removed, but don’t worry, we stopped the bleeding!" This is a little GCC, the band is visibly loose! They were using a wire saw to try to cut it!
In person, it doesn't look that tight. It's pretty loose, but I won't let anyone put a saw near my birb.
buurd (08-11-2019), Jen5200 Supporting Member (08-10-2019)
Old 08-11-2019, 05:05 AM
Parrots:
2 Rosy Bourke's parrots
buurd is on a distinguished road

Quote: Originally Posted by Flboy View Post
Ack, I was just thinking about the possibility of them hurting a bird, and you confirmed it. So what is the real method to get the band off?
Also, why are birds banded at all? Can't they be nano microchipped? Or is that something the bird cannot tolerate?
The Following User Says Thank You to buurd For This Useful Post:
decu888 (08-11-2019)

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Parrot Forum - Parrot Owner's Community > Community > Questions and Answers