Success at long last

18WheelsOfSteel

Jun 26, 2019
West Central Louisiana, originally from Portland O
Parrots
2 Budgies
"Southern Belle" a blue female
"Beau Dandy" a green male
I definitely stacked the deck against myself in almost every possible way when I got my budgies, I got 2 instead of one, they were not hand raised, we live on my 18 wheeler, which of course moves constantly, but I have finally succeeded in getting them to a level of basic trust and they are perfectly happy to explore the top bunk which is more or less the area they have been given, they occasionally will fly down and sit on my steering wheel and watch baseball with me, and tonight I caught them climbing on the ladders and playing on the play stand I got them a few weeks ago, thrilled is a bit of an understatement on how pleased I am that they have adjusted so well to a lifestyle that would not really be considered ideal for birds, we're still working on stepping up and we go through good and bad days there, but Mr. Beau Dandy is very food motivated and Ms. Southern Belle keeps his funky little booty in line when he shows his arse, I am terribly excited about the next 15 or so years I can expect to share with them.

Jen5200

Mar 27, 2017
Media
Albums
Washington State
Parrots
Baby - Sun Conure;
Tango - GCC;
Bindi - Sun Conure;
Stanley - Pineapple GCC;
Screamer “Scree� - Cockatiel;
Tee - Pineapple GCC; Jimmy - Cockatiel
It’s wonderful to hear that they have adjusted and you are enjoying each other’s company!

Laurasea

Aug 2, 2018
USA
Parrots
Full house
How unique!!! Budgies are such cute clowns! I'd love to see pictures !!! I just love this adventure story!!

AmyMyBlueFront

Apr 14, 2015
Media
Connecticut
Parrots
Amy a Blue Front 'Zon
Jonesy a Goffins 'Too who had to be rehomed :-(

And a Normal Grey Cockatiel named BB who came home with me on 5/20/2016.
Another trucker with birds!!!:D When I got Amy ( thirty years ago) He was going to be my co-driver in the Big Rig I owned. I took him on a couple day trips and he seemed to enjoy it ( He LOVES going for rides in the car. He will sometimes say "go for a ride?" At the time I owned a cab-over and there really wasn't much room to set up a cage or sleeping arrangements. Glad to hear you're making progress with your little ones.:)

Jim

OP

18WheelsOfSteel

Jun 26, 2019
West Central Louisiana, originally from Portland O
Parrots
2 Budgies
"Southern Belle" a blue female
"Beau Dandy" a green male
Another trucker with birds!!!:D When I got Amy ( thirty years ago) He was going to be my co-driver in the Big Rig I owned. I took him on a couple day trips and he seemed to enjoy it ( He LOVES going for rides in the car. He will sometimes say "go for a ride?" At the time I owned a cab-over and there really wasn't much room to set up a cage or sleeping arrangements. Glad to hear you're making progress with your little ones.:)
Jim

A cab over would certainly be a rough time with birds, I have a full size Cascadia, which is decidedly larger inside than any cab over I ever saw...definitely don't miss the days of having to strap everything down to put the truck in the shop to avoid adding a windshield to the cost of repairs lol

Tami2

Aug 18, 2017
New Jersey
Parrots
Levi - 6 yr old CAG

DOH-4/2/2016

Squeekmouse

May 31, 2017
Illinois
Parrots
Yoda, Green Cheek Conure - Trigger, Congo African Grey
How unique!!! Budgies are such cute clowns! I'd love to see pictures !!! I just love this adventure story!!

Me too and I encourage you to start a thread of your own in the
Incredible Journeys; Bird Stories For Bird Lovers - Parrot Forum - Parrot Owner's Community forum. If you haven't done so already?
I for one would definitely be following your journey. :)

I second this suggestion. I'd love to hear about the little budgie-truckers adventures! :D

Most Reactions

Latest posts