Parrot Forum Header Left  
Go Back   Parrot Forum - Parrot Owner's Community > Community > Questions and Answers

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-07-2019, 03:38 PM
Parrots:
2 Rosy Bourke's parrots
buurd is on a distinguished road
Re: Existential Crises, Bird Edition

Quote: Originally Posted by Flboy View Post
So I guess it was a guilt-based decision, too, but I don't regret it. I love them very much and want the best for them.”
Correction! It was a compassion-base decision!
I will try to think of it as that from now on! Thanks

I do have an overdeveloped sense of guilt. But if I didn't have realistic boundaries on it, I wouldn't have stopped at two birds; so there's that.
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to buurd For This Useful Post:
Flboy Supporting Member (08-07-2019), Inger Supporting Member (08-12-2019), Scott  (08-07-2019)
Old 08-07-2019, 10:14 PM
Parrots:
Only chickens right now!
ParrontMitch is on a distinguished road

Also, don’t forget that birds think very differently from humans, and don’t long for things the way we do. By placing ourselves in our parrots’ place, it is easy to think how we would be unhappy and depressed in our environment and long for something else... but if it is a healthy, enriching environment then that is a very human idea. Humans, as a species, are generally never happy. We can’t see the forest for the trees. All we do is look to how we could be happier, even when we are happy already! In general, if an animal is satisfied then it is happy with its life. It doesn’t long for anything else, being perfectly happy to see the glass half full of an awesome beer, not half empty! Which is a trait I have spent years trying to develop, but humans simply aren’t good at liking our lives. Birds are, though, and if they have space, food, toys, and company, they are likely 100% happy with their lives and spend no time wishing for something else.
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to ParrontMitch For This Useful Post:
buurd (08-08-2019), dhraiden (08-14-2019), Flboy Supporting Member (08-08-2019), SailBoat Supporting Member (08-08-2019), Scott  (08-08-2019)
Old 08-08-2019, 09:52 AM
Parrots:
2 Rosy Bourke's parrots

I try not to project my feelings on my birds, as much as I can. So it's not like when I look at them, I feel sad because I think that *they* are longing to be outside and are dissatisfied. I don't think they are unhappy or pining for a different life. Those really do seem to be human issues that cause us psychological unhappiness.

It's more of an overall feeling on my part, that they are being deprived of the wonderful things that they were made for, ie flight and the freedom of flying the skies, touching nature. If you give a bird the chance to escape via flight, it will; unless maybe it's been bonded to a human for a very long time, and it has it's own psychological shackles. Some birds might go, explore and come back, and others will just go and go, I guess. But a healthy bird will want to go, and will delight in the freedom. I believe there is some healthy, positive feeling, and even maybe a conditional and momentary yearning, for this, on the bird's part. It's instinct, plus the natural revelry and contentment that we all find connecting with nature, or using our bodies to move through nature.

But I don't find it the greatest tragedy that a bird can face, not being able to fly outside on their own. Not experiencing everything in life, isn't a tragedy. For example, I would be perfectly fine and guilt-free if my girl bird never passed an egg. No harm, no fowl, haha.

Last edited by buurd; 08-08-2019 at 09:54 AM.
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to buurd For This Useful Post:
dhraiden (08-14-2019), Flboy Supporting Member (08-12-2019), Jen5200 Supporting Member (08-08-2019), Scott  (08-08-2019)
Old 08-12-2019, 06:27 PM
Parrots:
2 Rosy Bourke's parrots

Quote: Originally Posted by Kiwibird View Post
As a first time bird owner, the other thing I don’t think you were told is there are actually 2 “groups” of parrots- the companion species and the aviary species. Bourkes parakeets (and indeed many of the grass parakeet species) do not typically make good companion parrots.
I read a lot about the Bourke's beforehand, so I knew they were going to be pretty non-social, for the most part, but I think you 're right that I didn't know there were aviary birds vs companions. I think down the road I might adopt a couple more birds for their company, possibly aviary types.
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to buurd For This Useful Post:
Flboy Supporting Member (08-12-2019), Jen5200 Supporting Member (08-12-2019), Scott  (08-12-2019)
Old 08-12-2019, 09:04 PM
Supporting Member
Parrots:
Bumble - Pacific (or Celestial) Parrotlet hatched 02/19/17
Thanked 4,506 Times in 1,657 Posts
Inger is on a distinguished road

First: depression lies. Never forget that.

Second: I have a parrotlet and she’s the best decision I ever made. She’s feisty as heck, and she’s my little bestie. You can read all about our lives together in her thread Bumble-ing Along.

She is an only bird, so you’d definitely have to keep an eye on one with the bourkes around. I know there are members who have them in a mixed flock so I know it can be done, but not sure how they work it out.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Inger For This Useful Post:
buurd (08-13-2019), SailBoat Supporting Member (08-14-2019), Scott  (08-12-2019)
Old 08-13-2019, 04:28 AM
Parrots:
2 Rosy Bourke's parrots

Quote: Originally Posted by Inger View Post
First: depression lies. Never forget that.

Second: I have a parrotlet and she’s the best decision I ever made. She’s feisty as heck, and she’s my little bestie. You can read all about our lives together in her thread Bumble-ing Along.

She is an only bird, so you’d definitely have to keep an eye on one with the bourkes around. I know there are members who have them in a mixed flock so I know it can be done, but not sure how they work it out.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
You're right about depression. I try to stay conscious of this and balance myself. I'm not an emo person.

I was actually looking at parrotlets, among others, when I was thinking about living with a bird. I love sassy feisty animals, so that doesn't put me off. As of now it's only been a year, and I am just learning the ropes with my birbs. It takes a lot of concentration to make sure they are constantly happy and safe. I think another bird right now would distract me. But who knows in the future. I took a peek at Bumble and she is adorable <3
The Following User Says Thank You to buurd For This Useful Post:
Inger Supporting Member (08-13-2019)
Old 08-14-2019, 12:03 PM
Parrots:
Green Cheek Conure (Mochi) Gold Capped Conure (Mango)
dhraiden is on a distinguished road

An issue I've often thought about as well. My Mom grew up in Guyana (a South American rain forest country) with macaws that were free-flighted and basically only semi-domesticated, so she has this view that my completely domesticated, captive bred parrots ultimately should be living the way the parrots of her childhood did. Fortunately she doesn't feel so strongly I that I'd reconsider boarding Mango n' Mochi with her when we're away on trips! But I get that view point.

Nature is red in tooth and claw. Almost no animal, nor bird, dies "cleanly" in the wild- even old age is a debilitating process beset by pain and fragility. The life we give our animal companions is certainly more comfortable, but there's no point to wondering whether it's a more "true" way of being for them - it isn't, not by nature's standards. A free-flighted bird that can be brought out for controlled open-air flights in a predator and danger-free area is probably living as close to an "ideal" life of possible, but it's still possible to find fault with that as well (so why bother)?

Don't worry, this is a concern for every bird-haver, and not one ultimately really worth worrying about. Parrot Mitch gave an excellent take - we humans are far more cursed to wonder about these things instead of just enjoying the contentment of the present, which is blessedly how animals exist.

Last edited by dhraiden; 08-14-2019 at 12:06 PM.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to dhraiden For This Useful Post:
Inger Supporting Member (08-14-2019), SailBoat Supporting Member (08-14-2019)

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Parrot Forum - Parrot Owner's Community > Community > Questions and Answers