No bird – yet

timgarman

Aug 9, 2019
Whanganui, New Zealand
Parrots
None yet, but thinking Eclectus.
Hi Folks

Tim here, new to the forum and based in New Zealand. No Parrot yet but longing for an Eclectus. I'm spending my time researching and trying to figure out if I'm right for one.

I have my eye on a young male Solomon Island Eclectus from a nearby breeder. Any advice for a newbie very welcome.

Ellie777Australia

Apr 12, 2019
Queensland, Australia
Parrots
SI Eclectus Female, Ellie; RS/SI Eclectus Male, Bertie (both adopted as rescue/re-home)
Hi Tim, big warm welcome from your neighbour. I reckon I'm a tad bit biased on sending kudos for your choice in parrot companion LOL.

Laurasea

Aug 2, 2018
USA
Parrots
Full house
Hi welcome! Will this be your first parrot?! How exciting! Make sure get one fully weaned if you aren't planning on taking in a rescue. And I think letting them fledge and learn to fly well before ever clipping the wings, really important to long term mental and developmental health. If you plan on harness training have it already before you bring the bird home, baby birds are tons tons easier to harness train ;)! So exciting! Can't wait to hear your adventures

Jen5200

Mar 27, 2017
Media
Albums
Washington State
Parrots
Baby - Sun Conure;
Tango - GCC;
Bindi - Sun Conure;
Stanley - Pineapple GCC;
Screamer “Scree� - Cockatiel;
Tee - Pineapple GCC; Jimmy - Cockatiel
Welcome to you! Lots of great info here, and people with a myriad of different species to help provide perspectives for you.

Allee

Oct 27, 2013
Media
Texas
Parrots
U2-Poppy(Poppy lives with her new mommy, Misty now) CAG-Jack, YNA, Bingo, Budgie-Piper, Cockatiel-Sweet Pea Quakers-Harry, Sammy, Wilson ***Zeke (quaker) Twinkle (budgie) forever in our hearts
Welcome, Tim! We’re happy you joined us! We have an amazing group of Ekkie enthusiasts, I know they’ll be willing to answer your species specific questions. The rest of our members are also a pretty great group too.

charmedbyekkie

May 24, 2018
US/SG
Parrots
Cairo the Ekkie!
If possible, I'd recommend adopting an adult, rather buying a baby from a breeder. Eclectus parrots live about 50 years, and there are so many parrots who are give away due to changing life stages (owners unable to care for them anymore for a variety of reasons). With an adult, you don't have to worry about going through the puberty phase (hormones galore, personality changes, etc). Many actually rehome their birds during the puberty phase - cute cuddly baby no longer sweet, now testing boundaries and struggling with managing the waves of hormones.

There's a small but mighty ekkie contingency on the forum, and we love to have people join us! Welcome :)

Edit: Do note they're a parrot species apart from the rest, especially regarding their diet. So if you're keen on an ekkie, do be aware of their special dietary needs (fresh chop, or else toe-topping and wing-flipping) and other species quirks (some are habitual pluckers).

Last edited:

Scott

Supporting Member
Aug 21, 2010
San Diego, California USA, Earth, Milky Way Galaxy
Parrots
Goffins: Gabby, Abby, Squeaky, Peanut, Popcorn / Citron: Alice / Eclectus: Angel /Timneh Grey: ET / Blue Fronted Amazon: Gonzo /

RIP Gandalf and Big Bird, you are missed.
Welcome aboard Tim! Respect for your attitude; finding out if you are right for an Ekkie!!

Jun 16, 2018
New Jersey
Parrots
Eclectus- "Junior" & Parrotlet- "Kittles"
Welcome! I’m still kind of a newbie to Eckies too, having gotten my first last year. I adopted a 7 year old male, and he is such a gentle soul! Although their diet may seem intimidating at first, you quickly get the hang of it and it becomes an easy routine. I’m probably a little biased too, lol, but I love them!

JuicyNip

Jul 22, 2019
Media
Albums
USA
Parrots
Black-Capped Conure
Welcome from one newcomer to another. There's a wealth of information on the site and it's so smart of you to do your research before you bring a bird into your life. I hope you find the perfect companion for your situation and that you both have many happy years together.

Most Reactions

Latest posts