Parrot Forum Header Left  
Go Back   Parrot Forum - Parrot Owner's Community > Species Specific > Parrotlets

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-14-2019, 04:57 PM
Parrots:
Pacific Parrotlet
phthalo is on a distinguished road
How to Properly hold a bird to check its flight wings?

Hi everyone, so today I brought home our new Pacific parrotlet, the owner of the store is required to cut its flight feathers before he can sell them and he did with no issues. about 10 min ago my little fella was jumping around and i noticed blood on the cage and then took him out and saw that one of his feathers was bleeding. It was not bleeding when the feathers were cut so Im guessing he just cut very close and the bird was messing with his toys and managed to rub it wrong maybe? It seems like it has stopped bleeding but just am curious as to how you hold a parrotlet still enough to open its wings to check without risking him getting hurt or me getting bit(I tried to a few different times and each time his little head was still able to reach for my thumb lol.
Old 08-15-2019, 08:25 AM
Parrots:
Boo, Rue, Ash & Ember - 4 cockatiels
Thanked 3,575 Times in 1,590 Posts
itzjbean is on a distinguished road
Re: How to Properly hold a bird to check its flight wings?

A vet (certified avian preferred) would be able to help get a really good look at the wing to determine if it was cut too short or if the blood feather is still bleeding and needs to be pulled. Left alone to bleed they will bleed out so its important to make sure the bleeding is stopped.

Besides a vet, you may have to gently restrain the bird with your hand (you can use a glove or washcloth to keep from getting bit) and gently extend the wing to get a good view of it and determine if its not bleeding anymore. It happens and as owners we have to do things to ensure our birds are physically okay and that may mean handling them when they don't like it.

Good luck!

See more of my flock on Instagram!
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to itzjbean For This Useful Post:
Allee  (08-15-2019), ChocolateChipCookiez (08-15-2019)
Old 08-15-2019, 09:49 AM
Parrots:
Pacific Parrotlet
phthalo is on a distinguished road

Thanks for the info, yeah a glove would work perfect! He doesnt bite hard by any means but id rather be safe then sorry haha. The bleeding did stop fairly quick though. Also I was planning to see my aviary vet today for his first check up so this will work perfect.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to phthalo For This Useful Post:
Flboy Supporting Member (08-15-2019), Inger Supporting Member (08-16-2019)
Old 08-15-2019, 12:14 PM
Supporting Member
Parrots:
Amy a Blue Front 'Zon Jonesy a Goffins 'Too who had to be rehomed :-( And a Normal Grey Cockatiel named BB who came home with me on 5/20/2016.
Thanked 7,739 Times in 3,156 Posts
AmyMyBlueFront is on a distinguished road

Quote: Originally Posted by phthalo View Post
Thanks for the info, yeah a glove would work perfect! He doesnt bite hard by any means but id rather be safe then sorry haha. The bleeding did stop fairly quick though. Also I was planning to see my aviary vet today for his first check up so this will work perfect.
The avian vet can/will show you how to properly hold the little guy properly also. good luck with his check-up!

Jim

And a Grey 'teil, BB...a.k.a. The Beebs
that was 18 weeks old 5/20/2016,

Rest in peace,my precious Smokey..4/2015 at 28 years young
Old 08-16-2019, 05:31 PM
Supporting Member
Parrots:
Bumble - Pacific (or Celestial) Parrotlet hatched 02/19/17
Thanked 4,506 Times in 1,657 Posts
Inger is on a distinguished road

How did your vet visit go? Tell us all about your new little friend! This forum needs more parrotlets!

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Parrot Forum - Parrot Owner's Community > Species Specific > Parrotlets