Parrot Forum Header Left  
Go Back   Parrot Forum - Parrot Owner's Community > Community > Questions and Answers

>

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-01-2020, 03:21 AM
Mio99i is on a distinguished road
Re: Can i stop giving my cockatoo formula?

Quote: Originally Posted by LaManuka View Post
You should at least get help from a certified avian vet, or take the bird back to the seller until it has been properly weaned. Whoever sold this immature bird to you has done you a massive disservice and has endangered the life of your bird. I donít mean to alarm you but it is dangerous, unethical and improper to sell a bird that is so young it still requires formula and you should seek help from a vet or take it back to the the breeder immediately.
I went to yhe vet today and asked serval doctors there about this , they told me i can try spoon method however right now he may dont eat from me because he maybe stressed to move to a new place and since he can eat adult food such as seed and veggie i dont need to worry much abd i shall reduce giving formula to them so they will fully transfer to adult food , however i shall not stop fully giving him formula until he fully refused

My bird did accepted using a spoon however he dont finish the whole bowl since he refuse after a 4 to 8 spoons and just run for the seed bowl to eat seeds and viggie and i believe they said he turned 5 months now and shall start to transform to normal food but slowly
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Mio99i For This Useful Post:
Laurasea Supporting Member (02-01-2020), Scott  (02-01-2020)
Old 02-01-2020, 10:19 AM
Super Moderator
Parrots:
Goffins: Gabby, Abby, Squeaky, Peanut, Popcorn / Citron: Alice / Eclectus: Angel /Timneh Grey: ET / Blue Fronted Amazon: Gonzo / RIP Gandalf and Big Bird, you are missed.
Thanked 43,435 Times in 15,255 Posts
Scott is on a distinguished road

Thank you for seeking veterinary advice! If your bird is in transition between hand-feeding and adult diet, now is the time to introduce a variety of foods. Yet it is critical for development to offer formula until consistently refused.

You will have to decide what types of foods as permanent diet. Fresh vegetables and fruits are best, most birds enjoy pellets or seeds as variety and nutrition. Guide to safe foods: Bird Safe Fresh Foods & Toxic Food Lists + Sprouts

The decision of pellets vs seed may depend on what is available in your area. Many consider pellets superior to seed, but that is a debate similar to wing clipping!
Old 02-01-2020, 12:01 PM
Mio99i is on a distinguished road

Quote: Originally Posted by Scott View Post
Thank you for seeking veterinary advice! If your bird is in transition between hand-feeding and adult diet, now is the time to introduce a variety of foods. Yet it is critical for development to offer formula until consistently refused.

You will have to decide what types of foods as permanent diet. Fresh vegetables and fruits are best, most birds enjoy pellets or seeds as variety and nutrition. Guide to safe foods: Bird Safe Fresh Foods & Toxic Food Lists + Sprouts

The decision of pellets vs seed may depend on what is available in your area. Many consider pellets superior to seed, but that is a debate similar to wing clipping!
Right now he do eat formula but its kind way too little and whenever his pallet of food near him he tottal ignore thr formula and go for seeds and mixed millet

Thats fine right ? Iv reduces my hand feeding tries since he only take around 3 to 6 spoons and dodge the spoon later on
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Mio99i For This Useful Post:
Laurasea Supporting Member (02-01-2020), Scott  (02-01-2020)
Old 02-01-2020, 05:43 PM
Super Moderator
Parrots:
Goffins: Gabby, Abby, Squeaky, Peanut, Popcorn / Citron: Alice / Eclectus: Angel /Timneh Grey: ET / Blue Fronted Amazon: Gonzo / RIP Gandalf and Big Bird, you are missed.
Thanked 43,435 Times in 15,255 Posts
Scott is on a distinguished road

Quote: Originally Posted by Mio99i View Post
Quote: Originally Posted by Scott View Post

Right now he do eat formula but its kind way too little and whenever his pallet of food near him he tottal ignore thr formula and go for seeds and mixed millet

Thats fine right ? Iv reduces my hand feeding tries since he only take around 3 to 6 spoons and dodge the spoon later on

That is fine, sounds like good progress. For best health and confidence, continue to offer forumula even if he takes just a bit. When he consistently refuses, weaning is essentially complete and you can discontinue forumula.

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Parrot Forum - Parrot Owner's Community > Community > Questions and Answers