New to parrots/birds

Rgurski

Sep 1, 2019
Youngstown ny
Parrots
Henry yellow naped amazon
Hello my name is Rebecca. Almost a yr ago I acquired a yellow naped Amazon. His name is Henry and he is about 12 yrs old, one owner who passed away. I read a bit before I accepted him but need help in many areas. I have some issues handling him as he bit :rainbow1:me back in November so I’m a bit skittish with him however I have made some progress. He has issues with not sitting on my arm he is constant shouldering and difficult to get back in cage I fear putting my hand up on my shoulder to get him to step up. So much I want to do with him please help,

Ellie777Australia

Apr 12, 2019
Queensland, Australia
Parrots
SI Eclectus Female, Ellie; RS/SI Eclectus Male, Bertie (both adopted as rescue/re-home)
Hello my name is Rebecca. Almost a yr ago I acquired a yellow naped Amazon. His name is Henry and he is about 12 yrs old, one owner who passed away. I read a bit before I accepted him but need help in many areas. I have some issues handling him as he bit :rainbow1:me back in November so I’m a bit skittish with him however I have made some progress. He has issues with not sitting on my arm he is constant shouldering and difficult to get back in cage I fear putting my hand up on my shoulder to get him to step up. So much I want to do with him please help

Welcome to the forum Rebecca and Henry. When you accepted Henry, were you familiar with the previous owner's method of communication with him? It helps a bit knowing some history so that you can continue with some familiar methods of his care and communication. However, you will be creating unique bonds with him yourself as your relationship progresses.

We have a wealth of info on Amazons and a few very knowledgeable members so you will get heaps of assistance from them. I see that you are already in the Amazon section so keep reading....lots of info in the I love amazon sticky...keep reading...also look up bite pressure training and biting. All the best.:)

texsize

Supporting Member
Parrot of the Month 🏆
Oct 23, 2015
Media
so-cal
Parrots
1 YNA (Bingo)
1 OWA (Plumas R.I.P.)
1 RLA (Pacho R.I.P.)
2 GCA(Luna,Merlin) The Twins
1 Congo AG (Bella)
5 Cockatiels
Sitting on your shoulder should be a privilege not a right.
I understand it can be hard to restrict his movement and keep him from climbing up to your shoulder.

I would recommend walking in to the bathroom (or somewhere else there is a mirror) and look into the mirror when reaching for him. This way you are not blindly groping around with your hand and can read his body language to see how he is reacting to your attempt to pick him up.

If this doesn't work I lean my shoulder against his cage so he can climb onto the cage or cage door and pick him up from there.

texsize

Scott

Supporting Member
Aug 21, 2010
San Diego, California USA, Earth, Milky Way Galaxy
Parrots
Goffins: Gabby, Abby, Squeaky, Peanut, Popcorn / Citron: Alice / Eclectus: Angel /Timneh Grey: ET / Blue Fronted Amazon: Gonzo /

RIP Gandalf and Big Bird, you are missed.
We warmly welcome you, Rebecca and Henry!
Henry carries twelve years of history, most of the details are beyond easy recognition. However parrots are extremely intelligent and social creatures capable of learning new behaviors.

A few threads to better bond with Henry and guide his progress:
http://www.parrotforums.com/amazons/65119-i-love-amazons-going-journey.html
http://www.parrotforums.com/amazons/54250-amazon-body-language.html
http://www.parrotforums.com/general-parrot-information/49144-tips-bonding-building-trust.html

Good luck, please post your questions and successes as you work more closely with Henry.

GaleriaGila

Parrot of the Month 🏆
May 14, 2016
Cleveland area
Parrots
The Rickeybird, 38-year-old Patagonian Conure

Most Reactions