hi!! im new here and need some help!

tikkismama1039

Aug 29, 2019
hi, i just went and got my parakeet yesterday from petco. i have done lots of research, this is the first time i have ever had a parakeet. but i have raised chickens, three dogs, and a rabbit. :) know when i first got my parakeet she did not have any poop stuck to her butt, but today she has poop stuck to her but and i cant get it off becuz she will not let me get even close to her. she is very new and young and is scared right know, i was wondering what i should do about the poop? amd also when can i start getting her use to me. do i wait a few weeks? thanks.:whiteblue::)

Tami2

Aug 18, 2017
New Jersey
Parrots
Levi - 6 yr old CAG

DOH-4/2/2016

Scott

Supporting Member
Aug 21, 2010
San Diego, California USA, Earth, Milky Way Galaxy
Parrots
Goffins: Gabby, Abby, Squeaky, Peanut, Popcorn / Citron: Alice / Eclectus: Angel /Timneh Grey: ET / Blue Fronted Amazon: Gonzo /

RIP Gandalf and Big Bird, you are missed.
Welcome to you and your new parakeet, thanks for joining! Please know there is a lengthy period of adjustment measured in weeks or longer. Tami's trust/bonding thread is quite helpful. Birds are keen observers of their environment and require time, patience, and love.

I would typically suggest asking the seller for advice regarding the poop, but big-box stores are notoriously ill equipped. A bathing bowl might help as birds frequently groom. You are welcome to upload an image of the situation, might help us determine if further action is required. (none of us are vets or techs, but collective experience is helpful)

OP
T

tikkismama1039

Aug 29, 2019
thank you everyone. i can try and get some pictures but but i dont know if she will let me. i will try the bird bath and get back yu u

wrench13

Staff member
Super Moderator
Parrot of the Month 🏆
Nov 22, 2015
Media
Albums
Isle of Long, NY
Parrots
Yellow Shoulder Amazon, Salty
Congrats!

Welcome and be welcomed. As far as getting her used to you, figure out her favorite treat, and every time you pass her cahe offer it to her, or put into a special bowl, used only for this. All birds need a cooling off time, for some its afew days, for some its longer, a few weeks or even months. Patience is the vital key here.

Good Luck!

GaleriaGila

Parrot of the Month 🏆
May 14, 2016
Cleveland area
Parrots
The Rickeybird, 38-year-old Patagonian Conure
Welcome. I'm glad you found us. You'll get great support and advice here.

9lhIlM0.jpg

Most Reactions

Latest posts