Parrot Forum Header Left  
Go Back   Parrot Forum - Parrot Owner's Community > Species Specific > Budgies/Parakeets

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-10-2019, 09:52 AM
Parrots:
Sunny Conure Monkeybird (hatch 9-2018); & pair-o-keets: Mr. Bossypants Jefferson (green stripey watchbudgie) & Miss Calliope the Housekeeping Albino Acrobat (both appx 11/2018)
fiddlejen is on a distinguished road
Question Cuttlebone Obsession

Calliope my albino budgie seems to have developed an obsession with cuttlebone. I just replaced the most recent one Saturday and she's already destroyed it! (Jefferson is helping a little, but it's mainly Calliope.)

She's acting otherwise healthy and normal. I just want to check, is she in any danger from excess cuttleboning? Should I start rationing the budgies' cuttlebones; i.e., no more than one per week??

(By the way, I use a safe, entirely plastic cuttlebone holder w/ built-in perch; NO dangerous-looking metal cuttle-clips nor any sharp pieces on the holder. I'm just concerned whether or not she could harm herself by pulverizing too much of the stuff.)
Old 09-10-2019, 10:23 AM
Parrots:
Gemma-Caique, Sky-budgie, Valentine-budgie
Gemster is on a distinguished road
Re: Cuttlebone Obsession

limit the amount of calcium you are giving to your budgie, even though many birds don't have enough calcium in their system you could be giving way too much. Cuttlebones don't need to be given to birds if they have a healthy diet that already includes the right amount. Its better to check with a vet if she needs the extra calcium.
Too much calcium will result in vitamin D toxicosis. Vitamin D also converts into calcium in the body. If a bird receives the right amount of calcium required but extra vitamin D, will end up with excessive calcium in the blood.
Old 09-11-2019, 07:33 AM
Parrots:
Sunny Conure Monkeybird (hatch 9-2018); & pair-o-keets: Mr. Bossypants Jefferson (green stripey watchbudgie) & Miss Calliope the Housekeeping Albino Acrobat (both appx 11/2018)
fiddlejen is on a distinguished road
Re: Cuttlebone Obsession

Thank you, that is information I needed. I will definitely limit the cuttlebone acces for the budgies now. Thank you!
The Following User Says Thank You to fiddlejen For This Useful Post:
Gemster (09-11-2019)

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Parrot Forum - Parrot Owner's Community > Species Specific > Budgies/Parakeets