Asking for advice before I jump

OP
ScottinSoCal

ScottinSoCal

Sep 7, 2019
Ventura County, CA, USA
Parrots
Had a Blue Front Amazon. Now have an African Grey (CAG)
Well, Scooter didn't get to come home with me today. The rescue place said the previous owners would have the last word on who Scooter went to, and she wasn't able to get hold of them this week. But there was a minor win - Scooter finally allowed head scratches.

[ame="https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Jd0l5tMrHCI"]Scooter - YouTube[/ame]

Jen5200

Mar 27, 2017
Media
Albums
Washington State
Parrots
Baby - Sun Conure;
Tango - GCC;
Bindi - Sun Conure;
Stanley - Pineapple GCC;
Screamer “Scree� - Cockatiel;
Tee - Pineapple GCC; Jimmy - Cockatiel
Head scratches, with requests for more!

OP
ScottinSoCal

ScottinSoCal

Sep 7, 2019
Ventura County, CA, USA
Parrots
The last couple of weekends she's been asking for head scratches, but couldn't quite get past my hand being that close - not enough trust there, yet. Yesterday was the breakthrough when she finally let me.

I don't think she's been on shoulders much, either. She wants to be there, but once she's in place, she gets nervous. I don't think it'll take long, but she'll learn, I'm sure.

bigfellasdad

Sep 21, 2017
Media
NorthWest England
Parrots
Enzo - adopted Female CAG circa 2004. A truly amazing young lady!
Love giving head scratches to Enzo, she goes all gooey. 2 fingers under her chin is a favourite and also scratching lightly the bottom of her neck between the top of her wings will put her to sleep, literally, in 20s.

I love the way she will scratch with her foot where she wants me to scratch, if i miss, she will just move her head to my fingers so i hit the spot.

She will either just put her beak down when she wants a scratch or just say 'tickle tickle'.

OP
ScottinSoCal

ScottinSoCal

Sep 7, 2019
Ventura County, CA, USA
Parrots
Well, finally some movement. Today I got an e-mail from the rescue. They've got everything arranged with the previous owners, they're going to be in with her 'things' this weekend, and to say goodbye. Next Friday (the 25th) I get to bring Scooter home.

I've been up every weekend to visit, we've bonded more, and she's been playing with me and is teaching me her signs for "I want some water", "I want some food", "I want to go back to my cage", and "I want some attention".

I'm also re-reading Pepperberg's book about Alex, and focusing on the parts where she talks about teaching him. I think I'm going to try the model/rival training method she used. It seems low stress for the bird, and actually kind of entertaining for the humans.

OP
ScottinSoCal

ScottinSoCal

Sep 7, 2019
Ventura County, CA, USA
Parrots
Scooter was a champ, settling into the travel cage, and enjoying the view out the truck windows. She wasn't thrilled with the new cage at home, or with the dogs, and Silly Bird the dove is only accepted for a probationary period. She's been Velcro Bird since we got home, and I had to put her on the cage and leave her for her to eat. But she's eating. That's progress.
When I took her upstairs to her sleeping room, she was unhappy again - another change, on top of all the other changes - but I sat with her for a few minutes and she calmed down. I'll go up and wake her up in about an hour, then she'll start her first full day at home.
f7c205ca7f9295edad1f14712ea2b5a8eac531fa85c83948019b53716b767c07.jpg

f5a84af6d6c00420d47006d343e67a6e042d630e21e06024e7c57b78f9f7a8b7.jpg

OP
ScottinSoCal

ScottinSoCal

Sep 7, 2019
Ventura County, CA, USA
Parrots
The previous owners actually made it a requirement that her cage stays with her. I'd planned to sell it, because the one I have is bigger, has a playtop, and lets her get higher when she's feeling nervous. So I decided that cage can go in the backyard, when I'm out there with her. It's all stainless steel, and I don't have to worry about rusting.

This morning I'm learning a lot more about what Scooter already knows. At the end of a phone call, Scooter chimed in "OK, bye". Many, many noises, from clucking, cawing, and chirping like other birds, to electronic noises, to phone ringing, to words. When she stands on one leg and stretches, she says "Stre-e-e-etch". She recognizes the word "food", but I haven't heard her say it yet. She likes the bells. I think she's happy to be here.

OP
ScottinSoCal

ScottinSoCal

Sep 7, 2019
Ventura County, CA, USA
Parrots
Scooter's personality exploded yesterday. At the rescue she was always so quiet, stand-offish and independent. Since she got here, she's got to be everywhere, digging into everything. And I'm getting an education on her background.
Do you want some agua? before she heads down to her water dish.
Sitting in her cage, making crow noises, clucking like a chicken, cheeping like a sparrow, phone ringing, doorbell chiming, morning alarm going off, and in the middle of it scolding herself - Scooter, stop it. Stop it right now!
Doing her parrot wing stretch, she mimics a man's voice saying Stre-e-e-e-etch.

I think I got way more parrot than I'd planned on.

Inger

Parrot of the Month 🏆
Mar 20, 2017
Everett, WA
Parrots
Bumble - Pacific (or Celestial) Parrotlet hatched 02/19/17
She sounds like a wonderful addition to your home. Congratulations!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

AmyMyBlueFront

Apr 14, 2015
Media
Connecticut
Parrots
Amy a Blue Front 'Zon
Jonesy a Goffins 'Too who had to be rehomed :-(

And a Normal Grey Cockatiel named BB who came home with me on 5/20/2016.
So sorry to read about your Boo :( but congrats with Scooter :D Yep Greys are totally different from Amazons. My Smokey (TAG) was such a character and I miss her more every day :02: Amy ( Blue Front) loved Smokes but Smokey wanted NO part of it!

Sounds like Scooter is settling in nicely.

Jim

OP
ScottinSoCal

ScottinSoCal

Sep 7, 2019
Ventura County, CA, USA
Parrots
Amy ( Blue Front) loved Smokes but Smokey wanted NO part of it!

I also have a very, very old dove, named Silly Bird. A neighbor saved her from a crow attach and dropped her at my house a long time ago, and none of the bird rescue places I called was interested in a plain old dove, so she stayed. Silly was desperately in love with Boo the Amazon, but he just wanted to eat her. She went into mourning when Boo died, and she's happy to have Scooter now. Scooter also wants to eat her.

Fortunately, Silly picks up none of this, she's just happy to have another bird in the house. Doves are great, but they don't suffer from too much deep thinking.

AmyMyBlueFront

Apr 14, 2015
Media
Connecticut
Parrots
Amy a Blue Front 'Zon
Jonesy a Goffins 'Too who had to be rehomed :-(

And a Normal Grey Cockatiel named BB who came home with me on 5/20/2016.
Amy ( Blue Front) loved Smokes but Smokey wanted NO part of it!

I also have a very, very old dove, named Silly Bird. A neighbor saved her from a crow attach and dropped her at my house a long time ago, and none of the bird rescue places I called was interested in a plain old dove, so she stayed. Silly was desperately in love with Boo the Amazon, but he just wanted to eat her. She went into mourning when Boo died, and she's happy to have Scooter now. Scooter also wants to eat her.

Fortunately, Silly picks up none of this, she's just happy to have another bird in the house. Doves are great, but they don't suffer from too much deep thinking.

I hear you. When Smokey passed Amy was very depressed (as I was) Even though Smokey wanted no part ( She used to pull on Amys rudder and make him scream then Smokey would run back to her house laughing..and once she bit Amys tongue making it require five stitches :eek:) Now Amy just loves my little boy BB,and he tolerates Amy lol.

Jim

OP
ScottinSoCal

ScottinSoCal

Sep 7, 2019
Ventura County, CA, USA
Parrots
Scooter spent the day trying every perch in the cage, to see which she likes best. Ate all her food. And demanded head scratches, of course. Happy Scooter.
c2c32f8e98799073b7c86517431ccaafaf245a08fc085fd9a6a8e52a17195a0a.jpg

Most Reactions

Latest posts