Dried fruit versus fresh fruit

josiahdham

May 25, 2018
So my little Linda has been with me for a few weeks now. We tackled transitioning from a seed diet to a mostly pellet diet, learned to get along with 2 dogs and a cat. Learned not to bite and now steps up and makes "kissy" noises when she wants something instead of screaming. However, there's one thing we are still struggling with! I can't get her to eat ANY fruits or veggies however I can get her to eat dried fruits. Are dried fruits okay as a start to transitioning to fresh fruits and veggies? And just because I have added a picture of her watching the outside world.

Attachments

• Linda.jpg
    Linda.jpg
    95.5 KB · Views: 143

chris-md

Feb 6, 2010
Maryland - USA
Parrots
Parker - male Eclectus

Aphrodite - red throated conure (RIP)
Hello!

Yes, purely as a transition point they are fine. Just not a permenant replacement since they have concentrated sugars, in addition to significantly reduction in any water soluble vitamins.

Whether the bird will accept hem as a bridge rather than a trasition platform...that’s a whole other question.

Try missing up how you serve: julienne vs large chunks, run through a food processor into small pieces, cooked, raw, and one of the biggest secrets in our arsenal: drizzled with coconut oil or sustainably sourced red palm oil.

dhraiden

Jul 14, 2015
Queens NY
Parrots
Green Cheek Conure (Mochi)
Gold Capped Conure (Mango)
Nice progress! Our fids will go for grapes, rice (sparingly), oranges (if they see us eating them), and most of all, apply-bits. So fruit wise they're fine but they don't really have sort of desire for veggies, cruciferous or otherwise. I'll have to try that oil trick, chris - thanks!

Sep 20, 2017
hamilton ontario
Parrots
Buddy DYH, Chica DYH, Lucky and Sweety BFA, Radar BFA and Missy OWA.
Im going to try coconut oil too. My birdie takes a bath in his water dish but only when the vacuum is running.

Sent from my LG-V533 using Tapatalk

moon1964

Jun 8, 2018
Washington
Parrots
double yellow-head amazon...Angel
blue-front amazon...Blue
That's funny I thought only my bird did that sort of thing😊

MonicaMc

Sep 12, 2012
Media
Parrots
Mitred Conure - Charlie 1994;
Cockatiel - Casey 2001;
Wild Caught ARN - Sylphie 2013
If you take two apples that both weigh 260 grams and you dehydrate one apple, then they contain the same amount of sugar, regardless of one being fresh and the other dehydrated.

However, 260 grams of dried apple will have more sugar than 260 grams of fresh apple, because the dehydrated ones have no water in them, therefore there's more of them.

Check out this thread.

http://www.parrotforums.com/parrot-...7-converting-parrots-healthier-diet-tips.html

Gxg

Sep 15, 2016
GA
Parrots
Peace & Quiet (Yellow-Sided Green Cheek Conures, brother and sister). They are my babies whom I love very much and they are such a blessing.
That fruit will make such a difference :)

Most Reactions

Latest posts