Rose breasted Cockatoo

sunshine.within

Sep 19, 2018
Today I took Bianca to a lovely store where the owners’ birds are friendly and gorgeous, so that she could socialize, and I met my first ever Rose Breasted Cockatoo! She sat on my arm and extended her head to let me know that she wanted a chin scratch. I almost melted.
Bianca did very well, because she’s a doll, but she did jump off my shoulder to run for the door after about 20 minutes [emoji23]

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Scott

Supporting Member
Aug 21, 2010
San Diego, California USA, Earth, Milky Way Galaxy
Parrots
Goffins: Gabby, Abby, Squeaky, Peanut, Popcorn / Citron: Alice / Eclectus: Angel /Timneh Grey: ET / Blue Fronted Amazon: Gonzo /

RIP Gandalf and Big Bird, you are missed.
They are stunning. Some say they have more mellow personalities than the white cockatoos.

Betrisher

Jun 3, 2013
Newcastle, NSW, Australia
Parrots
Dominic: Galah(RIP: 1981-2018); The Lovies: Four Blue Masked Lovebirds; Barney and Madge (The Beaks): Alexandrines; Miss Rosetta Stone: Little Corella
Galahs have a charm all their own! I think it's safe to say they're not nearly as needy as the larger cockies and will spend much of their time chewing or playing, so long as you provide them with enough chew/play toys. They're extremely affectionate (although ours wasn't, but he was exceptional) and highly intelligent as well.

Galahs like to spend a bit of time on the floor, since that's their native place of work (they eat cereal seeds and native nuts here in Oz). They also like hoicking things! No, I mean *really* hurling things hither, thither and yon! They will grab a pen or other small object in their beak and fling it (preferably to the floor) with all their might. It's hilarious to watch, only not so much if you're the one who will have to pick up the galah's hurlings. Once, my galah, Aloysius, went to my leatherwork toolbox and hoicked every single one of my leather stamps (I had about two hundred of these) onto the floor. One by blessed one. His brother, Dominic, was just as bad and loved nothing better than to seize my coloured pencils one by one and waddle to the edge of my desk to hurl each one to the floor.

Galahs are beautiful companions and I couldn't recommend them highly enough as a family bird. The only thing you need to watch out for is their taste for fatty seeds like sunflower and safflower. Over-indulgence in these can lead to fatty tumours which can, as I recently found out, lead to testicular cancer and other abdominal cancers.

There is nothing cuter than a sassy galah coming at you with his face fluffed up, his hat raised and his wings outstretched!

Rest in peace, Dommie mate. :(

Last edited:

Most Reactions

Latest posts