Parrot Forum Header Left  
Go Back   Parrot Forum - Parrot Owner's Community > Community > General Health Care

General Health Care Remember to use common sense and consult with an avian veterinarian.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-13-2019, 05:01 PM
Parrots:
Umbrella Cockatoo- 11 years old
Thanked 5,244 Times in 2,139 Posts
noodles123 will become famous soon enough
WARNING! must read (sweetener in meds)

I just found out that most of the liquid medications for birds that are dispensed at human pharmacies (per vet prescription) contain toxic sweeteners to make them more palatable for humans. These are NOT listed on the bottle when you pick it up, and it doesn't matter that you are filling for a bird if you fill at a human pharmacy---they will not warn you. You have to specifically ask. This also applies to dogs--- lots of meds have xylitol in them (which can be deadly to animals in general--but especially to dogs). Sorbitol is another fake sugar added to meds that isn't good for them.

I am talking about plain old transparent, non-scented liquid prescriptions (including antibiotics and things like liquid gabapentin...there are many).

Moral of the story---Call ahead and have them read all of the additives to you. Xylitol and sorbitol are not the only 2.

Last edited by noodles123; 06-13-2019 at 06:05 PM.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to noodles123 For This Useful Post:
SailBoat Supporting Member (06-13-2019), Scott  (06-13-2019)
Old 06-13-2019, 06:03 PM
Supporting Member
Parrots:
DYH Amazon
Thanked 23,522 Times in 8,009 Posts
SailBoat will become famous soon enough
Re: WARNING! must read (sweetener in meds)

It is very important to also note where your Avian Professional is working with a Compounder and not just a pill crusher /mixer!
The pill crushers tend to be far less concerned with whether the meds are for Pets or Humans. As a result, tend to add flavoring and sweeteners that are not recommended for Pets.

In each Morning's early light; there is a promise, an Amazon makes!
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to SailBoat For This Useful Post:
noodles123 (06-13-2019), Scott  (06-13-2019)
Old 06-13-2019, 06:53 PM
Parrots:

The vet didn't have what I needed and the more traditional pharmacy here (that compounds their own things and mixes up drugs the old-fashioned way) didn't carry what I needed either, so I filled it at Walgreens. Thankfully, I decided NOT to give it to Noodles for other reasons, BUT, when I called Walgreens to inquire (based on something I read online), the pharmacist tole me that the batch I received did contain a bunch of unlisted additives (including sorbitol)...Despite the fact that it was for a bird (no one even checked and if they did, they didn't mention it to me).
They fill for pets all of the time so it really annoyed me because the pharmacist confirmed that some liquids do contain Xylitol.

I called the vet to tell her and she was shocked---told me to use a different pharmacy in the future etc etc...BUT, if you guys ever do fill at Walgreens, CVS etc, make sure you verify ---especially if the medication is a liquid. I never even considered that this could be an issue in adult medications... children's perhaps, but not the rest of them...I was wrong!

Last edited by noodles123; 06-13-2019 at 07:02 PM.
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to noodles123 For This Useful Post:
SailBoat Supporting Member (06-14-2019), Scott  (06-13-2019), wrench13 Supporting Member (06-14-2019)
Old 06-13-2019, 09:09 PM
Supporting Member
Parrots:
2 umbrella Cockatoos One male named Cooper and female named Baby 1 Little Corella male named Frankie and have 5 Cockatiels three named Pepper, Fiesco for the females and male named Wylie.
Thanked 1,058 Times in 400 Posts
ParrotGenie is on a distinguished road

Quote: Originally Posted by noodles123 View Post
I just found out that most of the liquid medications for birds that are dispensed at human pharmacies (per vet prescription) contain toxic sweeteners to make them more palatable for humans. These are NOT listed on the bottle when you pick it up, and it doesn't matter that you are filling for a bird if you fill at a human pharmacy---they will not warn you. You have to specifically ask. This also applies to dogs--- lots of meds have xylitol in them (which can be deadly to animals in general--but especially to dogs). Sorbitol is another fake sugar added to meds that isn't good for them.

I am talking about plain old transparent, non-scented liquid prescriptions (including antibiotics and things like liquid gabapentin...there are many).

Moral of the story---Call ahead and have them read all of the additives to you. Xylitol and sorbitol are not the only 2.
Thankfully my vet know this and has own pharmacy and mixes it themselves. The regular pharmacists, or techs at the traditional local pharmacy like Walgreens, CVS etc in the area that filling the prescription don't look at details and if it for a human, or animal.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to ParrotGenie For This Useful Post:
SailBoat Supporting Member (06-14-2019), Scott  (06-13-2019)
Old 06-14-2019, 05:31 AM
Parrots:

Quote: Originally Posted by ParrotGenie View Post
Quote: Originally Posted by noodles123 View Post

Thankfully my vet know this and has own pharmacy and mixes it themselves. The regular pharmacists, or techs at the traditional local pharmacy like Walgreens, CVS etc in the area that filling the prescription don't look at details and if it for a human, or animal.
Yeah- I mean, Walgreens isn't where I normally get them filled, but it was in a pinch/emergency. In the system her name is "Noodle Bird", so I find it hard to believe that they wouldn't see that. The vet was shocked because she wrote stuff on there to indicate that and they are supposed to follow it, but I guess they just don't? They acted like the batch was pre-mixed that way.
The Following User Says Thank You to noodles123 For This Useful Post:
SailBoat Supporting Member (06-14-2019)
Old 06-14-2019, 07:03 AM
Supporting Member
Parrots:
Yellow Shoulder Amazon, Salty
Thanked 9,741 Times in 3,885 Posts
wrench13 is on a distinguished road

"Just a Spoon Full of Sugar Makes the ....." Well you know the song goes. I have issues filling parrot intended prescriptions from a human based pharmacy, for other reasons. You just confirmed one of them. Thanks for the warning Noodles.

Follow Salty's 105 page lifestory thread:
http://www.parrotforums.com/amazons/...now-salty.html

The Crew:
Salty - YSA - hatched 8/15/15
Geri - Blond haired Queens wife , birthday unknown
Tinker - Cairn terrier, 4/15/08
The Following User Says Thank You to wrench13 For This Useful Post:
SailBoat Supporting Member (06-14-2019)

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Parrot Forum - Parrot Owner's Community > Community > General Health Care