Parrot Forum Header Left  
Go Back   Parrot Forum - Parrot Owner's Community > ParrotForums.com > New Members Welcome

New Members Welcome Post here to introduce yourself! Tell us a bit about your bird(s), hobbies, setup, etc! Parrot Owners Introduction

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-13-2019, 06:12 PM
jkleinschrodt04 is on a distinguished road
Re: Hello everyone

Awesome, thanks a lot. He's actually being friendly and stepped up off his cage today

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to jkleinschrodt04 For This Useful Post:
Ellie777Australia (Yesterday), munami (06-13-2019), noodles123 (06-13-2019), Scott  (06-13-2019)
Old 06-13-2019, 11:37 PM
Super Moderator
Parrots:
Goffins: Gabby, Abby, Squeaky, Peanut, Popcorn / Citron: Alice / Eclectus: Angel /Timneh Grey: ET / Blue Fronted Amazon: Gonzo / RIP Gandalf and Big Bird, you are missed.
Thanked 34,865 Times in 12,591 Posts
Scott is on a distinguished road

Welcome Joey and Marco! Great advice so far, by removing the hut and cage coverings you've made progress!!

A few threads you may find helpful:
Tips for Bonding and Building Trust
If his biting continues: Bite pressure training?
If you're interested in training: Clicker & Target Training
Old 06-14-2019, 07:19 AM
Supporting Member
Parrots:
Yellow Shoulder Amazon, Salty
Thanked 9,741 Times in 3,885 Posts
wrench13 is on a distinguished road

Hi Marco and Joey. Quakers are especially prone to cage territory behavior. Its because Quakers are group nest builders, so they naturally want to protect their little piece of the group nest. Create a play area for him, well away from his cage, with lots of size appropriate wood chew toys, safe bells, ladders. Natural perches and branches that have been de-bugged. Try and get him on there after he has had breakfast and pooped. It may take awhile but the super aggressive behavior should abate somewhat. The other suggestions above are all very valid too.

Follow Salty's 105 page lifestory thread:
http://www.parrotforums.com/amazons/...now-salty.html

The Crew:
Salty - YSA - hatched 8/15/15
Geri - Blond haired Queens wife , birthday unknown
Tinker - Cairn terrier, 4/15/08
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to wrench13 For This Useful Post:
Allee  (06-16-2019), Ellie777Australia (Yesterday), munami (06-14-2019), Scott  (06-14-2019)
Old 06-15-2019, 11:47 AM

I got him some more toys, yesterday he was being friendly. He let me pet him, and he stepped up. How do I get him off his cage? If I try and use a perch, he gets scared and starts being aggressive.

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to jkleinschrodt04 For This Useful Post:
Allee  (06-16-2019), Ellie777Australia (Yesterday), Scott  (06-15-2019)
Old 06-15-2019, 12:01 PM
Parrots:
Umbrella Cockatoo- 11 years old
Thanked 5,245 Times in 2,139 Posts
noodles123 will become famous soon enough

You are rushing things again. He will come off when he is ready. By pushing the issue, you will harm your progress and destroy trust. Just be patient.
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to noodles123 For This Useful Post:
Allee  (06-16-2019), Ellie777Australia (Yesterday), jkleinschrodt04 (06-15-2019), Scott  (06-15-2019)
Old 06-15-2019, 11:46 PM
Super Moderator
Parrots:
Goffins: Gabby, Abby, Squeaky, Peanut, Popcorn / Citron: Alice / Eclectus: Angel /Timneh Grey: ET / Blue Fronted Amazon: Gonzo / RIP Gandalf and Big Bird, you are missed.
Thanked 34,865 Times in 12,591 Posts
Scott is on a distinguished road

A month is long enough for Marco to know you aren't a dreaded enemy, but not enough time to willingly socialize with you. From what I've heard, Quakers are stubborn and defensive, especially with their cage. Do you have some special treats to reward good behavior, such as pieces of plain almonds or walnuts?

If you want to read more about quaker personality, this thread by our moderator Allee is entertaining. Long but worthwhile, and cage aggression begins second paragraph of second post! When Harry Met Allee
Old 06-16-2019, 09:08 AM

I haven't found a treat he likes, I've tried pine nuts and almonds but I haven't tried walnuts.

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to jkleinschrodt04 For This Useful Post:
Allee  (06-16-2019), Ellie777Australia (Yesterday), Scott  (06-16-2019)
Old 06-16-2019, 09:35 AM
Super Moderator
Parrots:
U2-Poppy(Poppy lives with her new mommy, Misty now) CAG-Jack, YNA, Bingo, Budgie-Piper, Cockatiel-Sweet Pea Quakers-Harry, Sammy, Wilson ***Zeke (quaker) Twinkle (budgie) forever in our hearts
Thanked 38,680 Times in 12,811 Posts
Allee will become famous soon enough

Welcome Joey and Marco! Marco is a very handsome little guy and sounds like a typical Quaker, ornery to the core. Iím glad you listened to the good advice and removed the happy hut. Best of luck with your new friend, heíll astound you after he gains some trust. Quakers are scary smart and once you build a bond most are very friendly and love human company.

"She is not refined. She is not unrefined. She keeps a parrot." Mark Twain
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Allee For This Useful Post:
Ellie777Australia (Yesterday), Scott  (06-16-2019)
Old 06-16-2019, 09:50 AM
Parrots:
Umbrella Cockatoo- 11 years old
Thanked 5,245 Times in 2,139 Posts
noodles123 will become famous soon enough

Did you try banana bits or tiny grape bits? In my opinion, cereal is unsafe because it's fortified with vitamin levels intended for humans (but some people use it--I wouldn't though)..hmmm...low sodium saltines (if TINY and only for training--you don't want to give a lot of salt and preservatives)---When I say tiny, I mean TINY (because your bird is SO small...like a crumb). They sell bird treats (fruit bits) that you could try- I would cut them up to make them even smaller (too much sugar- even natural is not good). Cooked noodles can be good but it is often hard to find a non-fortified variety (all fortified stuff is bad for birds because there is too much iron etc). Cooked sweet potato bits (no seasoning), steamed squash, pear bits...some birds like hot peppers a lot...Scrambled eggs (no salt and low oil--I wouldn't use pam spray or any aerosol when cooking them)...bits of unsalted hard-boiled eggs...Maybe a small bit of millet or a small bit of steamed (not canned) corn--corn is filler but again, training treats should always be given in moderation (I wouldn't feed it daily). That's all I can think of for now...

A few quick side-notes: All foods containing citric acid should be quite limited because too much citrus (or citric acid) can lead to iron storage issues in birds..

Also- you want to avoid any mix or treat containing peanuts (shelled or other) because they can harbor a fungus (even when found in store-bought feed mixes).

Additionally, sunflower seeds are not good for birds (they are like crack to them, high in fat and lacking in nutrients) but a sunflower seed here or there for training could be okay. Just don't feed your bird any mix that contains these.

To put portion-size in perspective, a whole grape to a cockatiel-sized bird is the equivalent of something like 200 grapes in a human (Can't recall the exact number).

If giving your bird anything processed and sweet, check the label to ensure that it does not contain Xylitol, aspartame, saccharine, Splenda or other artificial sweeteners. Avocados,rhubarb, chocolate, coffee (even decaf) and anything containing caffeine or alcohol=toxic, as are apple seeds and most fruit pits, garlic, onions, leeks, chives etc.

If you ever give your bird a nut in a shell, be very watchful because if they ingest the shell bits, it can cause them to become impacted/blocked.

Last edited by noodles123; 06-16-2019 at 10:07 AM.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to noodles123 For This Useful Post:
Old 06-16-2019, 09:58 AM

awesome, I'll give some of those a try. I did also try those fruit bits, he wanted nothing to do with them. I know he won't take then out of my hand so I tried putting a few in his food bowl, but he ate around them.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to jkleinschrodt04 For This Useful Post:

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Parrot Forum - Parrot Owner's Community > ParrotForums.com > New Members Welcome